7.0 administrivia

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

7.0 administrivia

George V. Reilly
Congratulations on releasing Vim 7.0! It's been a long time coming,
but worth the wait.

According to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vim_(text_editor) it's been
almost five years since Vim 6.0 was released. I hadn't realized it had
been so long. At what point did Vim 7.0 development start, as distinct
from the development of Vim 6.1 - 6.4?

Bram, what happens to Vim if you are suddenly incapacitated? Look at
Exuberant Ctags: it's been in limbo for many months, since Darren
Hiebert went AWOL. It seems like there's a lot of stuff that only you
have the permissions to do.

--
/George V. Reilly  mailto:[hidden email]
http://www.georgevreilly.com/blog/

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: 7.0 administrivia

Bram Moolenaar

George Reilly wrote:

> Congratulations on releasing Vim 7.0! It's been a long time coming,
> but worth the wait.
>
> According to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vim_(text_editor) it's been
> almost five years since Vim 6.0 was released. I hadn't realized it had
> been so long. At what point did Vim 7.0 development start, as distinct
> from the development of Vim 6.1 - 6.4?

I would say after 6.3 was released.  That was a bugfix version, I worked
away a lot of outstanding problems before I started adding new features.
That was in June 2004.

> Bram, what happens to Vim if you are suddenly incapacitated? Look at
> Exuberant Ctags: it's been in limbo for many months, since Darren
> Hiebert went AWOL. It seems like there's a lot of stuff that only you
> have the permissions to do.

If my plain crashes then there might be a bit of a problem :-).  With
Darren the problem also is that he is still there, just doesn't have
time to work on ctags.  You can't take over a project if the author is
still there and doesn't release it.  And it's not so easy to give away
your baby.

--
Creating the world with Emacs:   M-x let-there-be-light
Creating the world with Vim:     :make world

 /// Bram Moolenaar -- [hidden email] -- http://www.Moolenaar.net   \\\
///        sponsor Vim, vote for features -- http://www.Vim.org/sponsor/ \\\
\\\        download, build and distribute -- http://www.A-A-P.org        ///
 \\\            help me help AIDS victims -- http://ICCF-Holland.org    ///
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: 7.0 administrivia

Nikolai Weibull-11
On 5/9/06, Bram Moolenaar <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > Bram, what happens to Vim if you are suddenly incapacitated? Look at
> > Exuberant Ctags: it's been in limbo for many months, since Darren
> > Hiebert went AWOL. It seems like there's a lot of stuff that only you
> > have the permissions to do.

> If my plain crashes then there might be a bit of a problem :-).  With
> Darren the problem also is that he is still there, just doesn't have
> time to work on ctags.  You can't take over a project if the author is
> still there and doesn't release it.  And it's not so easy to give away
> your baby.

Well, there's always the following algorithm to consider:

if (bram_is_unreasonable) {
  int new_child = fork();
  if (new_child) {
    // Let Bram continue in his thought-process
    return;
  }

  // Ah, this is now our little baby
  :
  :
}

Peace.

  n.o.w.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: 7.0 administrivia

Matthew Winn
On Tue, May 09, 2006 at 02:02:24PM +0200, Nikolai Weibull wrote:

> Well, there's always the following algorithm to consider:
>
> if (bram_is_unreasonable) {
>  int new_child = fork();
>  if (new_child) {
>    // Let Bram continue in his thought-process
>    return;
>  }
>
>  // Ah, this is now our little baby
>  :
>  :
> }

And if fork() returns -1?

--
Matthew Winn ([hidden email])
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: 7.0 administrivia

Nikolai Weibull-11
On 5/9/06, Matthew Winn <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, May 09, 2006 at 02:02:24PM +0200, Nikolai Weibull wrote:
> > Well, there's always the following algorithm to consider:
> >
> > if (bram_is_unreasonable) {
> >  int new_child = fork();
> >  if (new_child) {
> >    // Let Bram continue in his thought-process
> >    return;
> >  }
> >
> >  // Ah, this is now our little baby
> >  :
> >  :
> > }
>
> And if fork() returns -1?

It's obvious, isn't it?

  n.o.w.

P.S.
If not, then consider the boolean value -1 has in C.
D.S.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: 7.0 administrivia

Matthew Winn
On Tue, May 09, 2006 at 04:44:32PM +0200, Nikolai Weibull wrote:

> On 5/9/06, Matthew Winn <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >On Tue, May 09, 2006 at 02:02:24PM +0200, Nikolai Weibull wrote:
> >> Well, there's always the following algorithm to consider:
> >>
> >> if (bram_is_unreasonable) {
> >>  int new_child = fork();
> >>  if (new_child) {
> >>    // Let Bram continue in his thought-process
> >>    return;
> >>  }
> >>
> >>  // Ah, this is now our little baby
> >>  :
> >>  :
> >> }
> >
> >And if fork() returns -1?
>
> It's obvious, isn't it?

Yes.  The poor little baby never gets conceived.  You should at least
issue a warning, or possibly loop until conception occurs.

P.S. Don't try this with vfork().

--
Matthew Winn ([hidden email])
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: 7.0 administrivia

Nikolai Weibull-11
On 5/9/06, Matthew Winn <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, May 09, 2006 at 04:44:32PM +0200, Nikolai Weibull wrote:
> > On 5/9/06, Matthew Winn <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > >On Tue, May 09, 2006 at 02:02:24PM +0200, Nikolai Weibull wrote:
> > >> Well, there's always the following algorithm to consider:
> > >>
> > >> if (bram_is_unreasonable) {
> > >>  int new_child = fork();
> > >>  if (new_child) {
> > >>    // Let Bram continue in his thought-process
> > >>    return;
> > >>  }
> > >>
> > >>  // Ah, this is now our little baby
> > >>  :
> > >>  :
> > >> }
> > >
> > >And if fork() returns -1?
> >
> > It's obvious, isn't it?
>
> Yes.  The poor little baby never gets conceived.  You should at least
> issue a warning, or possibly loop until conception occurs.

A joke gets so much funnier the more you explain it, so here it goes.
If fork() returned -1, the baby was aborted, i.e., the fork of Vim was
aborted.

There, now it's a lot more fun.

  n.o.w.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: 7.0 administrivia

Ed S. Peschko
In reply to this post by Bram Moolenaar
> > Bram, what happens to Vim if you are suddenly incapacitated? Look at
> > Exuberant Ctags: it's been in limbo for many months, since Darren
> > Hiebert went AWOL. It seems like there's a lot of stuff that only you
> > have the permissions to do.
>
> If my plain crashes then there might be a bit of a problem :-).  With
> Darren the problem also is that he is still there, just doesn't have
> time to work on ctags.  You can't take over a project if the author is
> still there and doesn't release it.  And it's not so easy to give away
> your baby.

I wouldn't think of it as 'giving away your baby', more like
'sending it off to school'.

To risk over-extending a metaphor (too late!), but you've got to let vim expand
and grow through other tutors, other environments, other ideas.. Maybe, who knows,
one day vim will grow up, find a nice IDE and settle down.. ;-)

Well, ok, enough with the metaphors, but I think an apprentice vim
maintainer/pumpking or two wouldn't hurt. You'd retain final control, but
not be the sole focus for vim development.

And as long as your apprentices were on the same wavelength as to where
you'd want to go with vim, there's no reason why vim should stray from
the vision that you've set for it. (plus, having dictatorial powers in the
case of a disagreement is always a nice thing..)

Ed