7.3 request

Christian J. Robinson-2

[Second attempt to send this to vim-dev; the original was sent
directly to Bram as well.]

I would like to request that the 'clipboard' option be made
global-local rather than global in 7.3.

Normally I wouldn't make this request for this option except for the
fact that it can now contain the "html" argument, which is definitely
something I don't always want to set globally.

I have attempted to "localize" this for my own needs with autocmd
triggers, but I haven't been able to make it work reliably and it has
ended up being nasty kludge.

- Christian

--
Christian J. Robinson <[hidden email]>

Re: 7.3 request

Bram Moolenaar

Christian Robinson wrote:

> I would like to request that the 'clipboard' option be made
> global-local rather than global in 7.3.
>
> Normally I wouldn't make this request for this option except for the
> fact that it can now contain the "html" argument, which is definitely
> something I don't always want to set globally.
>
> I have attempted to "localize" this for my own needs with autocmd
> triggers, but I haven't been able to make it work reliably and it has
> ended up being nasty kludge.

I'm not sure this is possible.  The clipboard is a global thing, it is
not always used in the context of a buffer or window.  E.g., what
happens on the command line?

117. You are more comfortable typing in html.

Re: 7.3 request

Christian J. Robinson-2
On Sat, 29 May 2010, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

> Christian Robinson wrote:
>
>> I would like to request that the 'clipboard' option be made
>> global-local rather than global in 7.3.
>
> I'm not sure this is possible.  The clipboard is a global thing, it is
> not always used in the context of a buffer or window.  E.g., what
> happens on the command line?

I hadn't considered that.  If it's possible, I'd say just use the
global setting in non-buffer contexts, and add a note to that effect
to the help entry.

- Christian

--
Christian J. Robinson <[hidden email]> -- http://christianrobinson.name/