8.1.0350's Test_exit_cb_wipes_buf() causes segfault when building on Launchpad

8.1.0350's Test_exit_cb_wipes_buf() causes segfault when building on Launchpad

Jonathon Fernyhough
Hi!

I'm not posting an issue on GitHub as I don't know this is a Vim issue
rather than a Launchpad/pbuild/sbuild issue.

The 8.1.350 patch release [1] introduces `Test_exit_cb_wipes_buf()`.
This causes a segfault when `make test` is run - but only on Launchpad.
When I run a `make; make test` locally, outside of any build
environment, the tests all pass and don't crash. Removing the test,
therefore bypassing it, (pretty obviously) allows the process to
complete but that's hardly ideal.

A full failed build log is available at [2], the main highlight being
(L41950):

> Executing Test_exit_cb_wipes_buf() Vim: Caught deadly signal SEGV
> Vim: Finished.
> Segmentation fault (core dumped)
> Makefile:130: recipe for target 'test_channel.res' failed

One of the difficulties debugging Launchpad is creating an equivalent
local environment - Vim tests haven't completed in my local pbuilder
environment for a long while (which may be something I've done).

However, I'm hoping someone will already know what might cause this as
the test has a comment:

> This caused a crash, because messages were handled while peeking for a character.

I'm aware this may not be much to go on let me know what other
information I can provide to help find the root cause.

Best,

Jonathon

[1]
https://github.com/vim/vim/commit/0b1468884a2a1c5d3442cbb7119330e307f0aa3d#diff-0df32bc2f6721af01944a6045df14b1fR1363
[2]
https://launchpadlibrarian.net/388034031/buildlog_ubuntu-xenial-amd64.vim_2%3A8.1.0349+really.v8.1.0369-0york0~ubuntu16.04.1_BUILDING.txt.gz

Re: 8.1.0350's Test_exit_cb_wipes_buf() causes segfault when building on Launchpad

Christian Brabandt

On Do, 13 Sep 2018, 'Jonathon Fernyhough' via vim_use wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I'm not posting an issue on GitHub as I don't know this is a Vim issue
> rather than a Launchpad/pbuild/sbuild issue.
>
> The 8.1.350 patch release [1] introduces `Test_exit_cb_wipes_buf()`.
> This causes a segfault when `make test` is run - but only on Launchpad.
> When I run a `make; make test` locally, outside of any build
> environment, the tests all pass and don't crash. Removing the test,
> therefore bypassing it, (pretty obviously) allows the process to
> complete but that's hardly ideal.
>
> A full failed build log is available at [2], the main highlight being
> (L41950):
>
> > Executing Test_exit_cb_wipes_buf() Vim: Caught deadly signal SEGV
> > Vim: Finished.
> > Segmentation fault (core dumped)
> > Makefile:130: recipe for target 'test_channel.res' failed
>
> One of the difficulties debugging Launchpad is creating an equivalent
> local environment - Vim tests haven't completed in my local pbuilder
> environment for a long while (which may be something I've done).
>
> However, I'm hoping someone will already know what might cause this as
> the test has a comment:
>
> > This caused a crash, because messages were handled while peeking for a character.
>
> I'm aware this may not be much to go on let me know what other
> information I can provide to help find the root cause.
>
> Best,
>
> Jonathon
>

> [1]
> https://github.com/vim/vim/commit/0b1468884a2a1c5d3442cbb7119330e307f0aa3d#diff-0df32bc2f6721af01944a6045df14b1fR1363
> [2]
> https://launchpadlibrarian.net/388034031/buildlog_ubuntu-xenial-amd64.vim_2%3A8.1.0349+really.v8.1.0369-0york0~ubuntu16.04.1_BUILDING.txt.gz

Are you sure this version includes the patch for 8.1.349? I am a bit
confused because of the version number:
vim_2%3A8.1.0349+really.v8.1.0369-0

Best,
Christian
--
Takt ist der auf das Benehmen angewandte gute Geschmack.
                -- Nicolas Sébastien de Chamfort

On 13/09/2018 10:14, Christian Brabandt wrote:
> Are you sure this version includes the patch for 8.1.349? I am a bit
> confused because of the version number:
> vim_2%3A8.1.0349+really.v8.1.0369-0

Yes, it's really version 8.1.369.

This specific package is built using Launchpad's Recipes feature [1]
which combines the debian/ packaging files from one git repo [2] with
the upstream sources from another [3]. This feature triggers automatic
builds when there's a change.

The Recipes feature only allows certain values to be used in the
generated version number [4], one of which is the Git tag, but because
tags start with a "v" I have to hack the versioning slightly. The last
version I refreshed the packaging files for was 8.1.349 so that forms
the version number "root", the upstream tag provides the "really"
version number (with leading "v").

It's essentially a CI system for packaging which is quite handy for
Vim's release model.

[1] https://code.launchpad.net/~jonathonf/+recipe/vim-daily
[2] https://code.launchpad.net/~jonathonf/+git/vim-packaging/+ref/master
[3] https://code.launchpad.net/~jonathonf/vim/+git/vim-upstream/+ref/master
[4]
https://help.launchpad.net/Packaging/SourceBuilds/Recipes#Version_numbers_and_substitution_variables

Re: 8.1.0350's Test_exit_cb_wipes_buf() causes segfault when building on Launchpad

Christian Brabandt

On Do, 13 Sep 2018, 'Jonathon Fernyhough' via vim_use wrote:

> On 13/09/2018 10:14, Christian Brabandt wrote:
> > Are you sure this version includes the patch for 8.1.349? I am a bit
> > confused because of the version number:
> > vim_2%3A8.1.0349+really.v8.1.0369-0
>
> Yes, it's really version 8.1.369.
>
> This specific package is built using Launchpad's Recipes feature [1]
> which combines the debian/ packaging files from one git repo [2] with
> the upstream sources from another [3]. This feature triggers automatic
> builds when there's a change.
>
> The Recipes feature only allows certain values to be used in the
> generated version number [4], one of which is the Git tag, but because
> tags start with a "v" I have to hack the versioning slightly. The last
> version I refreshed the packaging files for was 8.1.349 so that forms
> the version number "root", the upstream tag provides the "really"
> version number (with leading "v").
>
> It's essentially a CI system for packaging which is quite handy for
> Vim's release model.

> [1] https://code.launchpad.net/~jonathonf/+recipe/vim-daily
> [2] https://code.launchpad.net/~jonathonf/+git/vim-packaging/+ref/master
> [3] https://code.launchpad.net/~jonathonf/vim/+git/vim-upstream/+ref/master
> [4]
> https://help.launchpad.net/Packaging/SourceBuilds/Recipes#Version_numbers_and_substitution_variables

That is interesting. It might actually be a bug that Vim is handling the
callback command when it should not. However to fix that, it would be
great to have it reproducible.

Forwarding to vim-dev

Best,
Christian
--
Du mußt in allen Phasen deines Lebens stehen, sonst verrätst du dich
selbst.