Quantcast

A mapping with a manual insert mode in the middle

A mapping with a manual insert mode in the middle

Zeke Blackwell
Greetings!

I'd like to create a mapping in my .vimrc that does some manipulation, drops me into insert mode, then picks back up for more manipulation after I hit escape.

Is this possible?  I guess I just don't know what to search for.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Re: A mapping with a manual insert mode in the middle

Ben Fritz
On Tuesday, January 17, 2017 at 12:26:40 AM UTC-6, Zeke Blackwell wrote:
> Greetings!
>
> I'd like to create a mapping in my .vimrc that does some manipulation, drops me into insert mode, then picks back up for more manipulation after I hit escape.
>
> Is this possible?  I guess I just don't know what to search for.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.

It *may* be possible to have your mapping set up an InsertLeave autocmd which would then fire to complete the desired actions, and delete itself.

Re: A mapping with a manual insert mode in the middle

porphyry5
On Monday, January 16, 2017 at 10:26:40 PM UTC-8, Zeke Blackwell wrote:
> Greetings!
>
> I'd like to create a mapping in my .vimrc that does some manipulation, drops me into insert mode, then picks back up for more manipulation after I hit escape.
>
> Is this possible?  I guess I just don't know what to search for.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Does it have to be in one mapping? Why not something like

nmap _i :Do_stuff<cr>i
imap _i <Esc>:Finish_off<cr>

The only difference would be that you press _i a second time, instead of the <Esc> key.