A word remains highlighted even though it's in the "add" list

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
9 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

A word remains highlighted even though it's in the "add" list

Eric Weir

I have a word in a document that remains highlighted as after I've done zg. I've verified that the word is in the "add" list. Also the [s and ]s commands do not move the cursor to the word. When I try them I get a "search hit TOP, continuing at BOTTOM" or "search hit BOTTOM, continuing at TOP" message.

What's going on?

Thanks,
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eric Weir
Decatur, GA  USA

"Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it. 
Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. " 

- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: A word remains highlighted even though it's in the "add" list

Jean-Rene David-2
* Eric Weir [2011.11.16 07:40]:
>    I have a word in a document that remains highlighted as after I've done
>    zg. I've verified that the word is in the "add" list. Also the [s and ]s
>    commands do not move the cursor to the word. When I try them I get a
>    "search hit TOP, continuing at BOTTOM" or "search hit BOTTOM, continuing
>    at TOP" message.
>    What's going on?

A few things to check:

   - does it remain highlighted if you do either one of:
      :set nospell
      :set nohls
      :syn off

   - do other words behave like that? what's
     special about this one, that you can see?

   - what does :set ft? say?

--
JR

--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: A word remains highlighted even though it's in the "add" list

Eric Weir

On Nov 16, 2011, at 10:40 AM, Jean-Rene David wrote:

> * Eric Weir [2011.11.16 07:40]:
>>   I have a word in a document that remains highlighted as after I've done
>>   zg. I've verified that the word is in the "add" list. Also the [s and ]s
>>   commands do not move the cursor to the word. When I try them I get a
>>   "search hit TOP, continuing at BOTTOM" or "search hit BOTTOM, continuing
>>   at TOP" message.
>>   What's going on?
>
> A few things to check:
>
>   - does it remain highlighted if you do either one of:
>      :set nospell
>      :set nohls
>      :syn off
>
>   - do other words behave like that? what's
>     special about this one, that you can see?
>
>   - what does :set ft? say?

Thanks, Jean-Rene. I apologize for the delay in responding. Busy with other things.

nospell and nohls have no effect.

syn off causes the highlighting to disappear.

ft is vimwiki.

After issuing these commands do I need to reset these functions? [syn on has no effect.]

Oh, and one other thing. I've encountered two instances of this. In both cases it was with names with two upper case letters in the name, e.g., McKenzie.

Thanks again,
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eric Weir
Decatur, GA
[hidden email]

"We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors,
we borrow it from our children."

- Chief Seattle.

--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: A word remains highlighted even though it's in the "add" list

Benjamin Fritz


On Nov 18, 8:53 am, Eric Weir <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Nov 16, 2011, at 10:40 AM, Jean-Rene David wrote:
>
>
>
>
>
> > * Eric Weir [2011.11.16 07:40]:
> >>   I have a word in a document that remains highlighted as after I've done
> >>   zg. I've verified that the word is in the "add" list. Also the [s and ]s
> >>   commands do not move the cursor to the word. When I try them I get a
> >>   "search hit TOP, continuing at BOTTOM" or "search hit BOTTOM, continuing
> >>   at TOP" message.
> >>   What's going on?
>
> > A few things to check:
>
> >   - does it remain highlighted if you do either one of:
> >      :set nospell
> >      :set nohls
> >      :syn off
>
> >   - do other words behave like that? what's
> >     special about this one, that you can see?
>
> >   - what does :set ft? say?
>
> Thanks, Jean-Rene. I apologize for the delay in responding. Busy with other things.
>
> nospell and nohls have no effect.
>
> syn off causes the highlighting to disappear.
>
> ft is vimwiki.
>

Where did you get the vimwiki filetype/syntax plugins? It doesn't
appear to be distributed with Vim.

--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: A word remains highlighted even though it's in the "add" list

Eric Weir

On Nov 18, 2011, at 10:28 AM, Ben Fritz wrote:

> Where did you get the vimwiki filetype/syntax plugins? It doesn't
> appear to be distributed with Vim.

I assume when I installed the VimWiki plugin.
http://code.google.com/p/vimwiki/

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eric Weir
1111 Clairemont Avenue J3 ~ Decatur, GA 30030
404-636-6142 ~ [hidden email]

--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: A word remains highlighted even though it's in the "add" list

Benjamin R. Haskell-8
On Fri, 18 Nov 2011, Eric Weir wrote:

> On Nov 16, 2011, at 10:40 AM, Jean-Rene David wrote:
>
>> * Eric Weir [2011.11.16 07:40]:
>>> I have a word in a document that remains highlighted as after I've done
>>> zg. [...]
>
> nospell and nohls have no effect.
>
> syn off causes the highlighting to disappear.
>
> ft is vimwiki.
>
> [...] In both cases it was with names with two upper case letters in
> the name, e.g., McKenzie.


> On Nov 18, 2011, at 10:28 AM, Ben Fritz wrote:
>
>> Where did you get the vimwiki filetype/syntax plugins? It doesn't
>> appear to be distributed with Vim.
>
> I assume when I installed the VimWiki plugin.
> http://code.google.com/p/vimwiki/

This is explained in the first example given in the Quick start section
on that page:

"""
...with the following example:

= My knowledge base =
     * MyUrgentTasks -- things to be done _yesterday_!!!
  * ProjectGutenberg -- good books are power.
  * ScratchPad -- various temporary stuff.

Notice that ProjectGutenberg, MyUrgentTasks and ScratchPad curly
underlined. These are links in CamelCase form that do not exist yet.
(CamelCase form -- capitalized word connected with other capitalized
words)
"""

The CamelCaseMeansLink convention comes from the earliest wikiwiki-style
wikis.

If you're not using the plugin, why not uninstall it?

--
Best,
Ben H

--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: A word remains highlighted even though it's in the "add" list

Eric Weir

On Nov 18, 2011, at 12:16 PM, Benjamin R. Haskell wrote:

> n Fri, 18 Nov 2011, Eric Weir wrote:
>
>> On Nov 18, 2011, at 10:28 AM, Ben Fritz wrote:
>>
>>> Where did you get the vimwiki filetype/syntax plugins? It doesn't appear to be distributed with Vim.
>>
>> I assume when I installed the VimWiki plugin.
>> http://code.google.com/p/vimwiki/
>
> This is explained in the first example given in the Quick start section on that page:
>
> """
> ...with the following example:
>
> = My knowledge base =
>    * MyUrgentTasks -- things to be done _yesterday_!!!
> * ProjectGutenberg -- good books are power.
> * ScratchPad -- various temporary stuff.
>
> Notice that ProjectGutenberg, MyUrgentTasks and ScratchPad curly underlined. These are links in CamelCase form that do not exist yet. (CamelCase form -- capitalized word connected with other capitalized words)
> """
>
> The CamelCaseMeansLink convention comes from the earliest wikiwiki-style wikis.
>
> If you're not using the plugin, why not uninstall it?

I am using it. In fact -- well, not in fact; I need to check this -- the issue I described in starting this thread seems to occur only in VimWiki files.

A little off-topic, I sense that VimWiki is not in very wide use -- the mail list has only eight subscribers -- which puzzles me because it seems to a well thought out, versatile, easy to use plugin with which I've experienced no problems and is in active development, with interesting ideas for additional functionality being actively discussed.  

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eric Weir
[hidden email]
Decatur, GA  USA

"Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it.
Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. "

- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: A word remains highlighted even though it's in the "add" list

Benjamin R. Haskell-8
On Fri, 18 Nov 2011, Eric Weir wrote:

>
> On Nov 18, 2011, at 12:16 PM, Benjamin R. Haskell wrote:
>
>> [...]
>>
>> Notice that ProjectGutenberg, MyUrgentTasks and ScratchPad curly
>> underlined. These are links in CamelCase form that do not exist yet.
>> (CamelCase form -- capitalized word connected with other capitalized
>> words)
>> """
>>
>> The CamelCaseMeansLink convention comes from the earliest
>> wikiwiki-style wikis.
>>
>> If you're not using the plugin, why not uninstall it?
>
> I am using it. In fact -- well, not in fact; I need to check this --
> the issue I described in starting this thread seems to occur only in
> VimWiki files.

Maybe I'm still missing something, but the "issue" you described is part
of the main functionality of the plugin.  Anything (in a VimWiki file)
that looks like a word with more than one capital letter is
automatically transformed into a link.  That includes the examples in
the quickstart:

ProjectGutenberg
MyUrgentTasks
ScratchPad

But also your examples:

"names with two upper case letters in the name, e.g. McKenzie"

So, the reason the names are highlighted is that they're links (probably
links that don't exist).

--
Best,
Ben

--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: A word remains highlighted even though it's in the "add" list

Eric Weir

On Nov 19, 2011, at 12:12 PM, Benjamin R. Haskell wrote:

> Maybe I'm still missing something, but the "issue" you described is part of the main functionality of the plugin.  Anything (in a VimWiki file) that looks like a word with more than one capital letter is automatically transformed into a link.

Ah! You are so right. Thanks. Never woulda figured it out by myself -- except maybe by accident!

I'd still be interested in hearing from other VimWiki adopters.

Thanks again,
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eric Weir
Decatur, GA
[hidden email]

"Style is truth."

- Ray Bradbury

--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php