ANN: New colorscheme generator (and colorscheme)

ANN: New colorscheme generator (and colorscheme)

Felipe Contreras
Hello,

I have maintained my own colorscheme for about ten years, but when I
decided to revamp it I thought of using a generator based on a
template. The closest to my needs was estilo[1], but too gratuitously
complicated in my view.

Therefore I decided to create my own:

https://github.com/felipec/vim-felipec

The template is a straightforward YAML file:
  information:
    name: hello
    background: dark
    author: Me

  palette:
    fg: '#fff'
    bg: '#000'

  highlights:
    Normal: 'fg bg'

It's easy to add new colors to the palette, and use them in the
highlights. The generator automatically finds the closest Xterm 256
color and adds the corresponding cterm values.

In addition it supports HSL, so it's easy to rotate the hue and create
new colors with the same saturation and luminance.

For example for six basic luminance colors:
  palette:
    red: [0, 100, 75]
    yellow: [60, 100, 75]
    green: [120, 100, 75]
    cyan: [180, 100, 75]
    blue: [240, 100, 75]
    magenta: [300, 100, 75]

I'm really happy with the result, which you can see in version 2 of my
colorscheme: felipec.

Cheers.

[1] https://github.com/jacoborus/estilo

--
Felipe Contreras

Re: ANN: New colorscheme generator (and colorscheme)

tuxic
On 10/20 07:59, Felipe Contreras wrote:
Hi Felipe,

only a few minutes after I saw your posting, I installed
your color generator.
Great! :)

As I am using vim only (no gvim...I am addicted to terminal stuff) I
want to disable all italic/slanted character back to their "normal"
representation.

For that I tried to remove the "i" (as in "italic" I thought) and
restarted vim...which show no differences.

Did I understand it correctly, that the generator is triggered
automagically?

What did I wrong?

Cheers!
mcc

> Hello,
>
> I have maintained my own colorscheme for about ten years, but when I
> decided to revamp it I thought of using a generator based on a
> template. The closest to my needs was estilo[1], but too gratuitously
> complicated in my view.
>
> Therefore I decided to create my own:
>
> https://github.com/felipec/vim-felipec
>
> The template is a straightforward YAML file:
>   information:
>     name: hello
>     background: dark
>     author: Me
>
>   palette:
>     fg: '#fff'
>     bg: '#000'
>
>   highlights:
>     Normal: 'fg bg'
>
> It's easy to add new colors to the palette, and use them in the
> highlights. The generator automatically finds the closest Xterm 256
> color and adds the corresponding cterm values.
>
> In addition it supports HSL, so it's easy to rotate the hue and create
> new colors with the same saturation and luminance.
>
> For example for six basic luminance colors:
>   palette:
>     red: [0, 100, 75]
>     yellow: [60, 100, 75]
>     green: [120, 100, 75]
>     cyan: [180, 100, 75]
>     blue: [240, 100, 75]
>     magenta: [300, 100, 75]
>
> I'm really happy with the result, which you can see in version 2 of my
> colorscheme: felipec.
>
> Cheers.
>
> [1] https://github.com/jacoborus/estilo
>
> --
> Felipe Contreras

> ---

Re: ANN: New colorscheme generator (and colorscheme)

A. S. Budden
On Mon, 26 Oct 2020 at 07:44, Felipe Contreras
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have maintained my own colorscheme for about ten years, but when I
> decided to revamp it I thought of using a generator based on a
> template. The closest to my needs was estilo[1], but too gratuitously
> complicated in my view.
>
> Therefore I decided to create my own:
>
> https://github.com/felipec/vim-felipec
>
> The template is a straightforward YAML file:
>   information:
>     name: hello
>     background: dark
>     author: Me
>
>   palette:
>     fg: '#fff'
>     bg: '#000'
>
>   highlights:
>     Normal: 'fg bg'

Hi Felipe,

That looks like a nice idea.  Have you thought about including syntax
highlighting of the colour scheme YAML file (to show what the end
result will look like?).  I did something similar a few years ago as I
was fed up with editing Vim colour schemes.  My version is here:

https://www.cgtk.co.uk/vim-scripts/easycolour

and the source is here:

https://heptapod.host/cgtk/easycolour (there's a github mirror
somewhere I think as well).

It uses a very simple yaml-ish file that allows you to take an
existing colour scheme and tweak it - for example if you like the
"desert" colour scheme but would prefer green comments, you can have a
colour scheme that looks like this:

    # My new colour scheme file
    Basis:desert
    Dark:
        Comment:green

There's a screenshot of my (much more complicated) "bandit" colour
scheme loaded in Vim with the automatic self-highlighting shown here:
https://www.cgtk.co.uk/vim-scripts/easycolour/images/bandit_self_highlighting.png
- I find this self-highlighting makes it a lot easier to edit the
colour scheme and thought you might want to consider implementing
something similar.

Al