ANN: New stable release - 2006.07.11

Doug Kearns
I've just sent up vim-ruby-2006.07.11.

Regards,
Doug

Re: ANN: New stable release - 2006.07.11

Gavin Sinclair
On 7/11/06, Doug Kearns <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I've just sent up vim-ruby-2006.07.11.

Thanks Doug.

Gavin

Re: ANN: New stable release - 2006.07.11

Hugh Sasse
On Tue, 11 Jul 2006, Doug Kearns wrote:

> I've just sent up vim-ruby-2006.07.11.

I hadn't notice vim7.0 was out till today.  So I installed it.
I tried to use omni-complete (^X^O) within a ruby file and
I got an error E764 omnifunc not set.

So I grabbed this release, installed the gem, and tried again.
I got the same message.

I've not been at the sharp end of vim development for a while,
so I've probably missed something.  Do I need to set something
else?  I suppose the facility has a cost so it isn't on out-of-the-box?

[And if I might ask something off topic, can I set spellang=en_gb
globally, so I can just set spell, set nospell to turn it on and
off without having to tell it which langauge all the time? Or something
that doesn't involve a mapping, so it will work wherever vim is.]

Thank you.

> Regards,
> Doug

        Hugh

Re: ANN: New stable release - 2006.07.11

Doug Kearns
G'day Hugh,

On Wed, Jul 19, 2006 at 03:10:58PM +0100, Hugh Sasse wrote:
> On Tue, 11 Jul 2006, Doug Kearns wrote:
>
> > I've just sent up vim-ruby-2006.07.11.
>
> I hadn't notice vim7.0 was out till today.  So I installed it.
> I tried to use omni-complete (^X^O) within a ruby file and
> I got an error E764 omnifunc not set.

Is your version compiled with the Ruby interface? Does :version show
+ruby? I would actually have expected "Error: Required vim compiled with
+ruby" with the default Vim 7.

> So I grabbed this release, installed the gem, and tried again.
> I got the same message.

I recently changed this so that 'omnifunc' is not set if vim doesn't
have +ruby.

> I've not been at the sharp end of vim development for a while,
> so I've probably missed something.  Do I need to set something
> else?  I suppose the facility has a cost so it isn't on out-of-the-box?

It is configured to run 'out of the box' if vim was compiled with the
Ruby interface.

> [And if I might ask something off topic, can I set spellang=en_gb
> globally, so I can just set spell, set nospell to turn it on and
> off without having to tell it which langauge all the time? Or something
> that doesn't involve a mapping, so it will work wherever vim is.]

I'm not sure I understand...why can't you set this in your .vimrc?

On Thu, 20 Jul 2006, Doug Kearns wrote:

> G'day Hugh,
>
> On Wed, Jul 19, 2006 at 03:10:58PM +0100, Hugh Sasse wrote:
> > On Tue, 11 Jul 2006, Doug Kearns wrote:
> >
> > > I've just sent up vim-ruby-2006.07.11.
> >
> > I hadn't notice vim7.0 was out till today.  So I installed it.
> > I tried to use omni-complete (^X^O) within a ruby file and
> > I got an error E764 omnifunc not set.
>
> Is your version compiled with the Ruby interface? Does :version show
> +ruby? I would actually have expected "Error: Required vim compiled with

Ah, right. I have -ruby.  (I wonder why it doesn't detect ruby at config
time? (rhetorical, way off topic). OK, I'll have to look how to turn that
on and rebuild.  Oh, that seems to be
./configure --with-features=huge && gmake && gmake test
to do what I want.  That's in progress as I type this.

> +ruby" with the default Vim 7.
>
> > So I grabbed this release, installed the gem, and tried again.
> > I got the same message.
>
> I recently changed this so that 'omnifunc' is not set if vim doesn't
> have +ruby.

OK

> > I've not been at the sharp end of vim development for a while,
> > so I've probably missed something.  Do I need to set something
> > else?  I suppose the facility has a cost so it isn't on out-of-the-box?
>
> It is configured to run 'out of the box' if vim was compiled with the
> Ruby interface.

Isn't the ruby interface a separate function from editing Ruby files?
IIRC the ruby interface allowed one to do vim scripting in ruby, whereas
one may still want omnicompletion when working on Ruby code.  Or is the
connection more intimate than that?  Maybe I'm thinking of
--enable-ruby-interpreter?

> > [And if I might ask something off topic, can I set spellang=en_gb
> > globally, so I can just set spell, set nospell to turn it on and
> > off without having to tell it which langauge all the time? Or something
> > that doesn't involve a mapping, so it will work wherever vim is.]
>
> I'm not sure I understand...why can't you set this in your .vimrc?

The help says:

  This command switches on spell checking: >

          :setlocal spell spelllang=en_us

  This switches on the 'spell' option and specifies to check for US English.

....[Click!] -- I thought this was setting a sub option in spell,
to set the language, but it's the same as
 set et sw=2
so it's setting two different options at the same time.  Forget I asked!
My brain is turning to cheese in this heat.  Clearly I *can* set
spelllang=en_gb in my .vimrc and toggle spell as usual.

> > Thank you.
>
> Regards,
> Doug

        Hugh

Re: ANN: New stable release - 2006.07.11

Hugh Sasse
I know, replying to myself, but it's the most efficient....
On Wed, 19 Jul 2006, Hugh Sasse wrote:

> Ah, right. I have -ruby.  (I wonder why it doesn't detect ruby at config
> time? (rhetorical, way off topic). OK, I'll have to look how to turn that
> on and rebuild.  Oh, that seems to be
> ./configure --with-features=huge && gmake && gmake test
> to do what I want.  That's in progress as I type this.

No, that gives me -ruby as well.  Rats!  --with-features=ruby might be
it?  Would it be worth putting some hints about this in the project
README http://rubyforge.org/docman/view.php/16/9/README

        Thanks
        Hugh

On Wed, Jul 19, 2006 at 04:23:32PM +0100, Hugh Sasse wrote:
> On Thu, 20 Jul 2006, Doug Kearns wrote:

<snip>

> Ah, right. I have -ruby.  (I wonder why it doesn't detect ruby at config
> time? (rhetorical, way off topic).

You need to run it with --enable-rubyinterp

<snip>

> > > I've not been at the sharp end of vim development for a while,
> > > so I've probably missed something.  Do I need to set something
> > > else?  I suppose the facility has a cost so it isn't on out-of-the-box?
> >
> > It is configured to run 'out of the box' if vim was compiled with the
> > Ruby interface.
>
> Isn't the ruby interface a separate function from editing Ruby files?

Yes, but the 'omnifunc' (autoload/rubycomplete.vim) uses the Ruby
interface to generate the completions.

<snip>

Regards,
Doug

Re: ANN: New stable release - 2006.07.11

Hugh Sasse
On Thu, 20 Jul 2006, Doug Kearns wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 19, 2006 at 04:23:32PM +0100, Hugh Sasse wrote:
> > On Thu, 20 Jul 2006, Doug Kearns wrote:
> You need to run it with --enable-rubyinterp

Also needed to make distclean.  It's now working.  I've just got
to figure out how to use it now :-). I'll explore that further.

> <snip>
        [...]
> > Isn't the ruby interface a separate function from editing Ruby files?
>
> Yes, but the 'omnifunc' (autoload/rubycomplete.vim) uses the Ruby
> interface to generate the completions.

I imaging doing that in vimscript would be hairy. :-)  Thank you.

> <snip>
>
> Regards,
> Doug

        Hugh

ANN: New stable release - 2007.02.02

Doug Kearns
I've just sent up vim-ruby-2007.02.02.

Regards,
Doug

Re: ANN: New stable release - 2007.02.02

Doug Kearns
On Fri, Mar 02, 2007 at 08:59:50PM +1100, Doug Kearns wrote:
> I've just sent up vim-ruby-2007.02.02.
                                  03.02 even...*sigh*

Regards,
Doug

Re: ANN: New stable release - 2007.02.02

Mark Volkmann-2
On Mar 2, 2007, at 3:59 AM, Doug Kearns wrote:
I've just sent up vim-ruby-2007.02.02.

I just installed this with "gem install vim-ruby".
That's all I need to do, right?

The announcement contains this. "ri has been added as the 'keywordprg' and 'balloonexpr' is set to return the
output of ri". How do you use ri from vim?

Is there a web page that explains how to use all the features of vim-ruby?

Re: ANN: New stable release - 2007.02.02

Tim Pope-2
On Fri, Mar 02, 2007 at 02:59:44PM -0600, Mark Volkmann wrote:
> On Mar 2, 2007, at 3:59 AM, Doug Kearns wrote:
> I've just sent up vim-ruby-2007.02.02.
>
> I just installed this with "gem install vim-ruby".
> That's all I need to do, right?

You also need to run vim-ruby-install.rb to copy the files where Vim
can find them.

> The announcement contains this. "ri has been added as the
> 'keywordprg' and 'balloonexpr' is set to return the
> output of ri". How do you use ri from vim?
>
> Is there a web page that explains how to use all the features of vim-
> ruby?

Not that I'm aware of; most of what vim-ruby does happens
automatically anyways.  For the two features mentioned above, see the
Vim help:

:help 'keywordprg'
:help 'balloonexpr'

Cheers,
Tim

On Mar 2, 2007, at 3:14 PM, Tim Pope wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 02, 2007 at 02:59:44PM -0600, Mark Volkmann wrote:
>> On Mar 2, 2007, at 3:59 AM, Doug Kearns wrote:
>> I've just sent up vim-ruby-2007.02.02.
>>
>> I just installed this with "gem install vim-ruby".
>> That's all I need to do, right?
>
> You also need to run vim-ruby-install.rb to copy the files where Vim
> can find them.

Okay. I've done that now.

>> The announcement contains this. "ri has been added as the
>> 'keywordprg' and 'balloonexpr' is set to return the
>> output of ri". How do you use ri from vim?
>>
>> Is there a web page that explains how to use all the features of vim-
>> ruby?
>
> Not that I'm aware of; most of what vim-ruby does happens
> automatically anyways.  For the two features mentioned above, see the
> Vim help:
>
> :help 'keywordprg'

"Program to use for the K command." I read on further, but didn't see
anything that helped me understand what this does. Maybe I'm just
being dense.

> :help 'balloonexpr'

This seems like it could be cool. I'm guessing it will let me put the
cursor on a Ruby module, class or method name, press some key, and
see help in a popup tooltip. I tried to enable this with ":set
ballooneval", but it says "E518: Unknown option: ballooneval".

Here's the version of Vim I'm using.

7.0 (2006 May 7, compiled May 8 2006 12:56:43)
MacOS X (unix) version

On Fri, Mar 02, 2007 at 04:00:54PM -0600, Mark Volkmann wrote:
> On Mar 2, 2007, at 3:14 PM, Tim Pope wrote:
> > :help 'keywordprg'
>
> "Program to use for the K command." I read on further, but didn't see
> anything that helped me understand what this does. Maybe I'm just
> being dense.

See how K is highlighted?  That means it's a tag you can follow.
Press CTRL-] on it.

> > :help 'balloonexpr'
>
> This seems like it could be cool. I'm guessing it will let me put the
> cursor on a Ruby module, class or method name, press some key, and
> see help in a popup tooltip. I tried to enable this with ":set
> ballooneval", but it says "E518: Unknown option: ballooneval".
>
> Here's the version of Vim I'm using.
>
> 7.0 (2006 May 7, compiled May 8 2006 12:56:43)
> MacOS X (unix) version

Apparently the Mac version doesn't support balloons.  Hardly
surprising given the sorry state of GUI support.

Cheers,
Tim

http://wiki.rubygarden.org/Ruby/page/show/VimRubySupport

<snip>

Regards,
Doug

Re: ANN: New stable release - 2007.02.02

Mark Guzman
Doug Kearns wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 02, 2007 at 08:59:50PM +1100, Doug Kearns wrote:
>
>> I've just sent up vim-ruby-2007.02.02.
>>
>                                   03.02 even...*sigh*

Awesome. I've been traveling this past week, and stuck at a hotel with
out net access. Great to see the release out the door.
  --mark