ANN: VST-1.0beta8

Mikołaj Machowski
Hello,

Vim7 required.
(upgrade recommended because of slight changes in Vim behaviour, joys of
writing for alpha-alpha version ;)

Vim Structured Text (VST) is a simple format of file
which allows to create HTML and LaTeX document in
What You See Is What You Mean mode. Features (among others):

- Headers (with subtitles)
- Simple paragraphs
- Blockquotes
- Tables
- Ordered lists
- Unordered lists
- Definition lists
- Field lists
- Option lists
- Links
- Images
- Footnotes
- Preformatted text
- Frames with special notes
- In HTML export use of 2html.vim to produce color output

Changes from 1.0-beta7:

Tons of features and big leap forward in compatibility with
reStructuredText. You can check how look reST manual parsed by VST here:
http://skawina.eu.org/mikolaj/rest.html

Highlights:
ADD: Auto-numbered footnotes (reST)
ADD: Anonymous hyperlinks  (reST)
ADD: Embedded URIs (reST)
ADD: directives for inclusion of external files
ADD: partial implementation of "double headers" (reST)
ADD: Labeled footnotes (reST)
ADD: figure directive with [HTML] align and figalign
ADD: [HTML] align argument for image directive
ADD: multi element footnotes
ADD: [HTML] general block (.. block::) directive
ADD: header subtitles

Full list of changes in ChangeLog section:
http://skawina.eu.org/mikolaj/vst.html#lchangelog

Vst script file:
http://skawina.eu.org/mikolaj/vst.vim

Help file:
http://skawina.eu.org/mikolaj/vst.txt

Help file exported to HTML:
http://skawina.eu.org/mikolaj/vst.html

Help file exported to LaTeX:
http://skawina.eu.org/mikolaj/vst.tex

Vst.tex processed with pdflatex:
http://skawina.eu.org/mikolaj/vst.pdf

m.

Vim-list(s) Users Map: (last change 15 May)
 http://skawina.eu.org/mikolaj/vimlist
CLEWN - http://clewn.sf.net

Re: ANN: VST-1.0beta8

Aaron Griffin
> Vim7 required.
> (upgrade recommended because of slight changes in Vim behaviour, joys of
> writing for alpha-alpha version ;)

> Vim Structured Text (VST) is a simple format of file
> which allows to create HTML and LaTeX document in
> What You See Is What You Mean mode. Features (among others):

Very impressive... when I finally get around to compiling vim7, I'll
have to try this out... thanks alot

Re: ANN: VST-1.0beta8

A.J.Mechelynck
Aaron Griffin wrote:
[...]
> Very impressive... when I finally get around to compiling vim7, I'll
> have to try this out... thanks alot

If you are on Win32 you can try my builds, see
http://users.skynet.be/antoine.mechelynck/vim/#vim7

-- but read the disclaimer before downloading.

(Vim 6 and Vim 7 can be installed side-by-side on the same machine, see
the vim-tip liked from the above page.)

Re: ANN: VST-1.0beta8

Mikołaj Machowski
Dnia czwartek 26 maj 2005 12:46, Mikolaj Machowski napisa?:

> Tons of features and big leap forward in compatibility with
> reStructuredText. You can check how look reST manual parsed by VST here:
> http://skawina.eu.org/mikolaj/rest.html

Forgot to mention. You probably would like to check how original looks:
http://docutils.sourceforge.net/docs/ref/rst/restructuredtext.html

m.

Vim-list(s) Users Map: (last change 15 May)
 http://skawina.eu.org/mikolaj/vimlist
CLEWN - http://clewn.sf.net

ANN: VST-1.0beta9

[...]

Changes from 1.0-beta8:

Still increasing reST compatibility, especially in department of inline
markup. You can check how look reST manual parsed by VST here:
http://skawina.eu.org/mikolaj/rest9.html

Compare these two sections:
http://skawina.eu.org/mikolaj/rest.html#linline-markup
http://skawina.eu.org/mikolaj/rest9.html#linline-markup

Highlights:

- ADD: .. raw:: directive compliant with reST and remove ``rawlatex``,
  ``rawhtml``
- ADD: full parsing of double ornamental headers like in reST
- ADD: `Line blocks`_ - new body element:
  http://skawina.eu.org/mikolaj/vst.html#lline-blocks
- FIX: many, many inline markup fixes

List of changes from last release in ChangeLog section:
http://skawina.eu.org/mikolaj/vst.html#lchangelog

Full changelog was extracted to separate file:
http://skawina.eu.org/mikolaj/vst-changelog.html

Vst script file:
http://skawina.eu.org/mikolaj/vst.vim

Help file:
http://skawina.eu.org/mikolaj/vst.txt

Help file exported to HTML:
http://skawina.eu.org/mikolaj/vst.html

Help file exported to LaTeX:
http://skawina.eu.org/mikolaj/vst.tex

Vst.tex processed with pdflatex:
http://skawina.eu.org/mikolaj/vst.pdf

m.

Vim-list(s) Users Map: (last change 15 May)
 http://skawina.eu.org/mikolaj/vimlist
CLEWN - http://clewn.sf.net

Re: ANN: VST-1.0beta9

François Pinard
[Mikolaj Machowski]

> Still increasing reST compatibility [...]

Quite good news!  I did not look at VST yet, as I saw no good point at
forking out of reST.  I wish full reST compatibility will be reached, so
VST might eventually become tempting! :-)

P.S. - I wonder why full reST compatibility has not been a strong goal
of VST right from the start.  Deviation could only yield confusion.

Fran?ois Pinard   http://pinard.progiciels-bpi.ca

Re: ANN: VST-1.0beta9

Mikołaj Machowski
Dnia ?roda 01 czerwiec 2005 14:23, Fran?ois Pinard napisa?:
> [Mikolaj Machowski]
>
> > Still increasing reST compatibility [...]
>
> Quite good news!  I did not look at VST yet, as I saw no good point at
> forking out of reST.  I wish full reST compatibility will be reached, so
> VST might eventually become tempting! :-)

It depends on what you thinks as full compatibility.

But I suppose in any meaning - never. I have no incentive to code some
pythonisms of reST. Also I think that introduction of some vimisms (of
course not served in reST) - like :Vim commands in option lists is good.

Also are some limitations in VimL (or more probably my skills) - colspan
in HTML and LaTeX was really hard but rowspan is impossible.

> P.S. - I wonder why full reST compatibility has not been a strong goal
> of VST right from the start.  Deviation could only yield confusion.

I never thought I will be able to get so far.

m.