About Unicode CJK Unified Extension B

Edward G.J. Lee
Dear all,

  I use Vim as my favorite editor, but I need edit the
  article that include CJK Unified Ideographs Extension
  B(U+20000...) in UTF-8 encoding.

  Is there any plan to support that?
  [Note] It can be copy&paste to another editor(gedit)
         correctly, but cannot display correctly in gvim.

  Thanks.

        Edward

Re: About Unicode CJK Unified Extension B

A.J.Mechelynck
Edward G.J. Lee wrote:

> Dear all,
>
>   I use Vim as my favorite editor, but I need edit the
>   article that include CJK Unified Ideographs Extension
>   B(U+20000...) in UTF-8 encoding.
>
>   Is there any plan to support that?
>   [Note] It can be copy&paste to another editor(gedit)
>          correctly, but cannot display correctly in gvim.
>
>   Thanks.
>

> Edward

It is already supported by gvim (with 'encoding' set to UTF-8), but to
see the CJK characters you need a 'guifont' which has them. If your font
hasn't got them, everything will work except that the glyphs won't be
displayed (or will be displayed as hollow boxes or something similar).
Those "unrecognizable" characters will still occupy one or two screen
cells depending on their CJK width (i.e., two cells for "full-width"
ideograms).

To change the 'guifont', see my tip
http://vim.sourceforge.net/tips/tip.php?tip_id=632 "Setting the font in
the GUI", including the remarks at the bottom.

To determine which Unicode character is under the cursor, use ga in
Normal mode. Use g8 to see by which bytes it is represented in UTF-8
encoding.

To input a Unicode character higher than U+FFFF in Insert/Replace or
Command-line mode, use Ctrl-V U xxxxxxxx where:

- Ctrl-V means "hit Ctrl-V, unless you use Ctrl-V to paste, in which
case you should hit Ctrl-Q"
- U is an uppercase U as in Uniform
- xxxxxxxx is the hexadecimal value of the character (00000000 to
7FFFFFFF). You can input less than 8 hex digits provided that the
character is followed by a character not in [0-9a-fA-F]. If you want to
enter a "high Unicode" character followed by a hex digit, you can still
do it by separating them by <Left><Right>
- The spaces in Ctrl-V U xxxxxxxx above are only for legibility, you
should not type them.

You can also use IM (xim, Windows IME, Windows Global IME) if you have
it installed and your version of gvim supports it (i.e., is compiled
with +xim or +multi_byte_ime/dyn); or a keymap, but I fear you will have
to write your keymap yourself if you want support for Unicode keypoints
outside the basic plane, i.e., higher than U+FFFF.

See
        http://vim.sourceforge.net/tips/tip.php?tip_id=632
        :help setting-guifont
        :help ga
        :help g8
        :help i_CTRL-V_digit

On Tue, Feb 28, 2006, A. J. Mechelynck wrote:

> It is already supported by gvim (with 'encoding' set to UTF-8), but to
> see the CJK characters you need a 'guifont' which has them. If your font
> hasn't got them, everything will work except that the glyphs won't be
> displayed (or will be displayed as hollow boxes or something similar).
> Those "unrecognizable" characters will still occupy one or two screen
> cells depending on their CJK width (i.e., two cells for "full-width"
> ideograms).
>
> To change the 'guifont', see my tip
> http://vim.sourceforge.net/tips/tip.php?tip_id=632 "Setting the font in
> the GUI", including the remarks at the bottom.

  Here is my .gvimrc setting

if has("gui_running")
  if has("gui_gtk2")
     set guifont=Andale\ Mono\ 13
     set guifontwide=DFSongStd\ 15
  elseif has("gui_kde")
  [...]

  I'm using gtk+-2 version of Vim7, and I'm sure DFSongStd has
  U+20000 character/glyph. But gvim can't display it.

  I change to use vim on gnome-terminal(UTF-8 locale), but vim can't
  display it either.

> To input a Unicode character higher than U+FFFF in Insert/Replace or
> Command-line mode, use Ctrl-V U xxxxxxxx where:

  I know that, but it give only a '0' if I input 20000 after
  Ctrl-V U. It accept four [hex]digit only. Did I miss something?

  BTW, yes I can input no BMP charactes useing Gcin.
  http://www.csie.nctu.edu.tw/~cp76/gcin/

  Thanks.

        Edward

Edward G.J. Lee wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 28, 2006, A. J. Mechelynck wrote:
>
>> It is already supported by gvim (with 'encoding' set to UTF-8), but to
>> see the CJK characters you need a 'guifont' which has them. If your font
>> hasn't got them, everything will work except that the glyphs won't be
>> displayed (or will be displayed as hollow boxes or something similar).
>> Those "unrecognizable" characters will still occupy one or two screen
>> cells depending on their CJK width (i.e., two cells for "full-width"
>> ideograms).
>>
>> To change the 'guifont', see my tip
>> http://vim.sourceforge.net/tips/tip.php?tip_id=632 "Setting the font in
>> the GUI", including the remarks at the bottom.
>
>   Here is my .gvimrc setting
>
> if has("gui_running")
>   if has("gui_gtk2")
>      set guifont=Andale\ Mono\ 13
>      set guifontwide=DFSongStd\ 15
>   elseif has("gui_kde")
>   [...]

The 'guifontwide' must be exactly the same height as the 'guifont', and
twice its width. This is not the case here: you have selected a
13-point-high 'guifont' but a 15-point-high 'guifontwide'.

Try
        if has("gui_running")
                set guifontwide=
                if has("gui_gtk2")
                        set guifont=DFSongStd\ 15
                elseif has("gui_kde")
                        set guifont=DFSongStd/15
                elseif has("x11")
                        " I'm not sure to which value to set it, but
                        " it will be long. Maybe something like
                        " the following (untested)
                        exe "set guifont=-*-dfsongstd-medium-r-normal"
                        \ . "-*-*-250-*-*-m-*-*"
                else
                        set guifont=DFSongStd:h15:cDEFAULT

and see what happens. Can it display "high" Unicode? Can it display
"base plane" Chinese? Can it display English?

>   I'm using gtk+-2 version of Vim7, and I'm sure DFSongStd has
>   U+20000 character/glyph. But gvim can't display it.
>
>   I change to use vim on gnome-terminal(UTF-8 locale), but vim can't
>   display it either.
>
>> To input a Unicode character higher than U+FFFF in Insert/Replace or
>> Command-line mode, use Ctrl-V U xxxxxxxx where:
>
>   I know that, but it give only a '0' if I input 20000 after
>   Ctrl-V U. It accept four [hex]digit only. Did I miss something?

You must use an uppercase U (i.e., Shift-u), not a lowercase u. See
":help i_CTRL-V_digit" again.

>   BTW, yes I can input no BMP charactes useing Gcin.
>   http://www.csie.nctu.edu.tw/~cp76/gcin/
>
>   Thanks.
>

> Edward

Re: About Unicode CJK Unified Extension B

Edward G.J. Lee
Thanks Tony,

On Tue, Feb 28, 2006, A. J. Mechelynck wrote:

> The 'guifontwide' must be exactly the same height as the 'guifont', and
> twice its width. This is not the case here: you have selected a
> 13-point-high 'guifont' but a 15-point-high 'guifontwide'.
>
> Try
> if has("gui_running")
> set guifontwide=
> if has("gui_gtk2")
> set guifont=DFSongStd\ 15
> elseif has("gui_kde")
> set guifont=DFSongStd/15
> elseif has("x11")
> " I'm not sure to which value to set it, but
> " it will be long. Maybe something like
> " the following (untested)
> exe "set guifont=-*-dfsongstd-medium-r-normal"
> \ . "-*-*-250-*-*-m-*-*"
> else
> set guifont=DFSongStd:h15:cDEFAULT
> endif
> endif
>
> and see what happens. Can it display "high" Unicode? Can it display
> "base plane" Chinese? Can it display English?

  Still cannot display U+20000, it display a question mark.

  Can it display "high" Unicode? Do you mean non BMP? no.
  Can it display "base plane" Chinese? yes.
  Can it display English? yes.

  It can display BMP Unicode only.

  BTW, I can use gedit/leafpad/mined to edit the same file and
  can display U+20000 useing DFSongStd.

> You must use an uppercase U (i.e., Shift-u), not a lowercase u. See
> ":help i_CTRL-V_digit" again.

  Ooops, my fault. But still give me a question mark.

        Edward

Edward G.J. Lee wrote:

> Thanks Tony,
>
> On Tue, Feb 28, 2006, A. J. Mechelynck wrote:
>> The 'guifontwide' must be exactly the same height as the 'guifont', and
>> twice its width. This is not the case here: you have selected a
>> 13-point-high 'guifont' but a 15-point-high 'guifontwide'.
>>
>> Try
>> if has("gui_running")
>> set guifontwide=
>> if has("gui_gtk2")
>> set guifont=DFSongStd\ 15
>> elseif has("gui_kde")
>> set guifont=DFSongStd/15
>> elseif has("x11")
>> " I'm not sure to which value to set it, but
>> " it will be long. Maybe something like
>> " the following (untested)
>> exe "set guifont=-*-dfsongstd-medium-r-normal"
>> \ . "-*-*-250-*-*-m-*-*"
>> else
>> set guifont=DFSongStd:h15:cDEFAULT
>> endif
>> endif
>>
>> and see what happens. Can it display "high" Unicode? Can it display
>> "base plane" Chinese? Can it display English?
>
>   Still cannot display U+20000, it display a question mark.
>
>   Can it display "high" Unicode? Do you mean non BMP? no.
>   Can it display "base plane" Chinese? yes.
>   Can it display English? yes.
>
>   It can display BMP Unicode only.
>
>   BTW, I can use gedit/leafpad/mined to edit the same file and
>   can display U+20000 useing DFSongStd.
[...]

Hm. IIUC this means that DFSongStd has got BMP Chinese and ASCII. Which
GUI flavour have you got? If it's GTK+2, ":help guifontwide-gtk2" says
that if you leave 'guifontwide' empty, Pango/Xft will choose a character
in another font for any character not available in your 'guifont'. I
suspect that gedit etc. do something similar. IIRC I have seen Firefox
displaying HTML pages with characters borrowed from different fonts.

Do you have other Traditional Chinese fonts? Under W32, I use MingLiU;
it displays ideograms from U+20000 to U+2FA1D as double-wide question
marks in blue (not in black like "ordinary" CJK characters); but
"unknown" base plane ideograms like, for instance those from U+FA30 to
U+FAD9 or from U+3400 to U+4DB5, are simply displayed as double-wide
spaces. Hmmm-mm-mm... maybe we have found a bug or a limitation in gvim.
In fact, I think I vaguely remember something Bram said some time back.

Bram, is gvim capable of displaying Unicode codepoints higher than
U+FFFF as something else than a double-wide question mark in SpecialKey
highlight? (Assuming that 'encoding' is UTF-8, and that the 'guifont'
has them) If it isn't, how hard would it be to lift this limitation?

Re: About Unicode CJK Unified Extension B

Edward G.J. Lee
On Tue, Feb 28, 2006, A. J. Mechelynck wrote:

> Edward G.J. Lee wrote:
> >
> >   Still cannot display U+20000, it display a question mark.
> >
> >   Can it display "high" Unicode? Do you mean non BMP? no.
> >   Can it display "base plane" Chinese? yes.
> >   Can it display English? yes.
> >
> >   It can display BMP Unicode only.
> >
> >   BTW, I can use gedit/leafpad/mined to edit the same file and
> >   can display U+20000 useing DFSongStd.
> [...]
>
> Hm. IIUC this means that DFSongStd has got BMP Chinese and ASCII. Which
> GUI flavour have you got? If it's GTK+2, ":help guifontwide-gtk2" says
> that if you leave 'guifontwide' empty, Pango/Xft will choose a character
> in another font for any character not available in your 'guifont'. I
> suspect that gedit etc. do something similar. IIRC I have seen Firefox
> displaying HTML pages with characters borrowed from different fonts.

  Yes, that's what I think, but gvim seems didn't do this correctly.
  I'm useing GTK2 GUI. My Vim version is,

VIM - Vi IMproved 7.0aa ALPHA (2006 Feb 21, compiled Feb 23 2006
12:05:43)

> Do you have other Traditional Chinese fonts? Under W32, I use MingLiU;
> it displays ideograms from U+20000 to U+2FA1D as double-wide question
> marks in blue (not in black like "ordinary" CJK characters); but
> "unknown" base plane ideograms like, for instance those from U+FA30 to
> U+FAD9 or from U+3400 to U+4DB5, are simply displayed as double-wide
> spaces. Hmmm-mm-mm... maybe we have found a bug or a limitation in gvim.
> In fact, I think I vaguely remember something Bram said some time back.

  My MingLiU(Ver 3.21 and Ver 5.03) are not MS UCS4 encoding font.
  They only have glyphs in BMP. But I try to test sursong.ttf(
  Simsun (Founder Extended)), Sun-ExtA/Sun-ExtB[1] and Han Nom font[2]
  still cannot display.

  So my guess, this is not font's problem.

  Thanks for the help.

        Edward
[1] http://okuc.net/software/UniFonts.exe
[2] http://vietunicode.sourceforge.net/fonts/fonts_hannom.html

Re: About Unicode CJK Unified Extension B

A.J.Mechelynck
Edward G.J. Lee wrote:
[...]

>   My MingLiU(Ver 3.21 and Ver 5.03) are not MS UCS4 encoding font.
>   They only have glyphs in BMP. But I try to test sursong.ttf(
>   Simsun (Founder Extended)), Sun-ExtA/Sun-ExtB[1] and Han Nom font[2]
>   still cannot display.
>
>   So my guess, this is not font's problem.
>
>   Thanks for the help.
>

> Edward
> [1] http://okuc.net/software/UniFonts.exe
> [2] http://vietunicode.sourceforge.net/fonts/fonts_hannom.html

Here, all CJK fonts that I have, whether Korean, Japanese, Traditional
Chinese or Simplified Chinese, all display (in gvim) double-wide blue
question marks for any ideograms outside the BMP. Let's wait and see
what Bram has to say about it.

Re: About Unicode CJK Unified Extension B

Bram Moolenaar

Tony Mechelynck wrote:

> Edward G.J. Lee wrote:
> [...]
> >   My MingLiU(Ver 3.21 and Ver 5.03) are not MS UCS4 encoding font.
> >   They only have glyphs in BMP. But I try to test sursong.ttf(
> >   Simsun (Founder Extended)), Sun-ExtA/Sun-ExtB[1] and Han Nom font[2]
> >   still cannot display.
> >
> >   So my guess, this is not font's problem.
> >
> >   Thanks for the help.
> >
> > Edward
> > [1] http://okuc.net/software/UniFonts.exe
> > [2] http://vietunicode.sourceforge.net/fonts/fonts_hannom.html
>

> Here, all CJK fonts that I have, whether Korean, Japanese, Traditional
> Chinese or Simplified Chinese, all display (in gvim) double-wide blue
> question marks for any ideograms outside the BMP. Let's wait and see
> what Bram has to say about it.

I don't have anything to say about this.  I'm not aware of restrictions
in the code to 16 bit characters, but the GTK code is complex and full
of hacks (to be able to use proportinally spaced fonts, to work around
bugs in pango, etc.).  It requires an expert to look into this.

It might be that other applications use font replacement to display
characters that aren't actually in the font.  I'm not sure what happens
for Vim.

--
A)bort, R)etry, D)o it right this time

 \\\            help me help AIDS victims -- http://www.ICCF.nl         ///

Bram Moolenaar wrote:

> Tony Mechelynck wrote:
>
>> Edward G.J. Lee wrote:
>> [...]
>>>   My MingLiU(Ver 3.21 and Ver 5.03) are not MS UCS4 encoding font.
>>>   They only have glyphs in BMP. But I try to test sursong.ttf(
>>>   Simsun (Founder Extended)), Sun-ExtA/Sun-ExtB[1] and Han Nom font[2]
>>>   still cannot display.
>>>
>>>   So my guess, this is not font's problem.
>>>
>>>   Thanks for the help.
>>>
>>> Edward
>>> [1] http://okuc.net/software/UniFonts.exe
>>> [2] http://vietunicode.sourceforge.net/fonts/fonts_hannom.html
>>
>> Here, all CJK fonts that I have, whether Korean, Japanese, Traditional
>> Chinese or Simplified Chinese, all display (in gvim) double-wide blue
>> question marks for any ideograms outside the BMP. Let's wait and see
>> what Bram has to say about it.
>
> I don't have anything to say about this.  I'm not aware of restrictions
> in the code to 16 bit characters, but the GTK code is complex and full
> of hacks (to be able to use proportinally spaced fonts, to work around
> bugs in pango, etc.).  It requires an expert to look into this.
>
> It might be that other applications use font replacement to display
> characters that aren't actually in the font.  I'm not sure what happens
> for Vim.

It's not only GTK: I get the same symptoms on Windows: any CJK character
above U+FFFF is shown in gvim (using the default highlights and 'syntax'
set to something nonexistent, e.g., ":set syntax=nononono") as a
double-wide _blue_ question mark in any CJK font. Characters not in the
font but below U+FFFF are displayed in a font-specific way, e.g. as a
double-wide space in MingLiU (a Traditional Chinese font) or in NSimSun
(a Simplified Chinese font), as a bullet in MsGothic (a Japanese font),
as a kind of small "carpenter's square" in GulimChe (a Korean font), etc.

In Courier_New, which is not an East-Asian font, I see hollow squares
occupying the left half of a double-wide character cell, highlighted in
black below U+FFFF, in blue above it.

-- The range used outside the base plane for CJK ideograms is at U+20000
to U+2FA1D. Most of these codepoints are defined but I haven't checked
them all. So if you want to try and reproduce this, just hit (e.g.)
^VU20000 ^VU20001 (etc.) ^VU2FA1D (in Insert mode in a [NoName] buffer).

Tony Mechelynck wrote:

> It's not only GTK: I get the same symptoms on Windows: any CJK character
> above U+FFFF is shown in gvim (using the default highlights and 'syntax'
> set to something nonexistent, e.g., ":set syntax=nononono") as a
> double-wide _blue_ question mark in any CJK font. Characters not in the
> font but below U+FFFF are displayed in a font-specific way, e.g. as a
> double-wide space in MingLiU (a Traditional Chinese font) or in NSimSun
> (a Simplified Chinese font), as a bullet in MsGothic (a Japanese font),
> as a kind of small "carpenter's square" in GulimChe (a Korean font), etc.

That is to be expected, Vim only supports 16 bit characters for Win32.
MS-Windows has the lousy UTF-16 solution for the rest, that hasn't been
implemented yet.  I expect this to get very messy...

3. Your bookmark takes 15 minutes to scroll from top to bottom.

 \\\            help me help AIDS victims -- http://www.ICCF.nl         ///

Re: About Unicode CJK Unified Extension B

Edward G.J. Lee
Hello Bram,

On Tue, Feb 28, 2006, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

> That is to be expected, Vim only supports 16 bit characters for Win32.
> MS-Windows has the lousy UTF-16 solution for the rest, that hasn't been
> implemented yet.  I expect this to get very messy...

  At least under GNU/Linux or *BSD box, the console vim(not GUI)
  should display beyond U+FFFF characters correctly in UTF-8
  terminal with full Unicode support installed font of X. Am
  I right?

  My problem is it can't.

  Do you have any idea? Thanks.

        Edward

Edward G.J. Lee wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 28, 2006, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
> >
> > That is to be expected, Vim only supports 16 bit characters for Win32.
> > MS-Windows has the lousy UTF-16 solution for the rest, that hasn't been
> > implemented yet.  I expect this to get very messy...
>
>   At least under GNU/Linux or *BSD box, the console vim(not GUI)
>   should display beyond U+FFFF characters correctly in UTF-8
>   terminal with full Unicode support installed font of X. Am
>   I right?
>
>   My problem is it can't.
>
>   Do you have any idea? Thanks.

Oh, I forgot something.  The structures used for the screen are limited
to 16 bit, because there were no fonts for other characters.  If you say
that you can actually display characters above 0x10000 I'll have to
change that.

Do we need three or four bytes?  We'll probably need to use four bytes
anyway, since there is no data type for three bytes.

Since using these characters is rare, I'll probably have to make it a
configuration option to avoid wasting memory.  There also still is a
todo item to support more than 2 combining characters.  We may end up
using 20 bytes per screen position....  The number of combining
characters could be an option, but doing that for the number of bytes
per character would be complicated.  That probably has to be a feature,
thus decided at compile time.

8. You spend half of the plane trip with your laptop on your lap...and your
   child in the overhead compartment.

 \\\            help me help AIDS victims -- http://www.ICCF.nl         ///

Re: About Unicode CJK Unified Extension B

Edward G.J. Lee
Dear Bram,

On Tue, Feb 28, 2006, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

> Oh, I forgot something.  The structures used for the screen are limited
> to 16 bit, because there were no fonts for other characters.  If you say
> that you can actually display characters above 0x10000 I'll have to
> change that.

  Yes, I can display U+20000..U+2A6DF correctly in my gnome-terminal.
  I have a simple Ruby script to generate all those characters,

  http://edt1023.sayya.org/ruby/u.rb
  http://edt1023.sayya.org/ruby/tmp/cjkextb.png

> Do we need three or four bytes?  We'll probably need to use four bytes
> anyway, since there is no data type for three bytes.

  We need four bytes, I think?  We need cover the Unicode range from
  0x10000 to 0x10FFFF.

> Since using these characters is rare, I'll probably have to make it a
> configuration option to avoid wasting memory.  There also still is a
> todo item to support more than 2 combining characters.  We may end up
> using 20 bytes per screen position....  The number of combining
> characters could be an option, but doing that for the number of bytes
> per character would be complicated.  That probably has to be a feature,
> thus decided at compile time.

  I have to admit that those characters are rare used in an ordinary
  artcile. But the problem is people's name in CJKV area, especial
  Chinese people. They may use characters in Unicode CJKV Unified
  Extension B, and I have to type the name correct.

  And I'm makeing an input table of XIM in Chinese, as you may know,
  the table need include completely all the character in Extension B.
  So I need a familiar editor to type those characters and its keys.

  The another example is LaTeX CJK. The cvs version of LaTeX CJK had
  full support of Unicode range now, and I need to edit the example
  for testing,

  http://edt1023.sayya.org/tex/tmp/nobmp2.tex
  http://edt1023.sayya.org/tex/tmp/nobmp2.pdf

  So, it's great to support CJKV Unified Extension B as an option of
  Vim. Thanks in advance.

        Edward

Re: About Unicode CJK Unified Extension B

Nikolai Weibull-11
On 3/1/06, Edward G.J. Lee <[hidden email]> wrote:
>   We need four bytes, I think?  We need cover the Unicode range from
>   0x10000 to 0x10FFFF.

We need ceil(log2(0x10FFFF)) = 21 bits, or, more realistically, 24
bits, or, even more realistically, 32 bits.  I don't think we need to
worry about memory consumption for the display of characters though.
At least on any modern system.  Perhaps the MS-DOS port needs special
treatment...

  nikolai

Re: About Unicode CJK Unified Extension B

Bram Moolenaar

I have made changes to the code to use 32 bits for storing Unicode
characters.  It's included in last nights snapshot.

I have no way to try it out.  It's not unlikely that there are a few
problems.

For Win32 I changed the conversion from UTF-8 to UCS-2 to produce
UTF-16.  I don't know if that is sufficient for drawing the characters.

GTK2 does everything with UTF-8, thus it should work as it is.

I also added 'maxcombine' to support up to 6 combining characters.
That's enough for everyone, right?

51. You put a pillow case over your laptop so your lover doesn't see it while
    you are pretending to catch your breath.

 \\\            help me help AIDS victims -- http://www.ICCF.nl         ///