After updating to 8.1.950 (155) can no longer save files to network folder

After updating to 8.1.950 (155) can no longer save files to network folder

Eduardo Kortright
After I upgraded MacVim to v. 8.1.950 (155) today, I can no longer save files to any network folder.

I can still save files to folders on my local disk, but when I try to save to a shared (mounted as smbfs) folder, I get an error:

    E667: Fsync failed

Changes to the file are not saved (MacVim shows the file as still modified).

I can use the system vim (/usr/bin/vim) to edit files on network folders as before, and I can still save changes with no problems.

I was able to save changes to files on network folders right before the upgrade; nothing else has changed on my machine, so the upgrade is the only thing I can blame for the problem.

Unfortunately, I am running MacVim on my work computer, so I cannot run MacVim as root to see if this might be due to permissions problems (I had to get an admin to enter an admin password to run the update).

I have restarted MacVim after removing my .vimrc file and doing

    defaults delete org.vim.MacVim

but nothing helps.

Any help would be appreciated.

Re: After updating to 8.1.950 (155) can no longer save files to network folder

Bram Moolenaar

> If others are curious about this, follow the thread on
> https://github.com/macvim-dev/macvim/issues/861. A recent Vim build
> (8.1.915) broke this.

That patch was supposed to make it work better.  Does someone know why it
causes this error?  And how to fix?

--
A radioactive cat has eighteen half-lives.

Re: After updating to 8.1.950 (155) can no longer save files to network folder

Yee Cheng Chin-2
Hi Bram, you have already merged my pull request, but I looked at the corresponding commit in Neovim that got spawned from this change, and it referenced this commit in libuv that has more details: https://github.com/libuv/libuv/pull/2135

From that commit I think we are currently missing a case for webdav because we are not handling the case where it sets errno to "EINVAL". I think we should probably just do what that commit does and ignore errno altogether. The worst case is it will be slightly slower but that's only if something is wrong anyway. Otherwise it will be whack-a-mole with random undocumented errno's that are probably not intended to be used this way. I would think Apple just assumes the programmer fall back to fsync if fcntl failed for whatever reason.

I just opened a new pull request (https://github.com/vim/vim/pull/4025) to fix this.

///        sponsor Vim, vote for features -- http://www.Vim.org/sponsor/ \\\
\\\  an exciting new programming language -- http://www.Zimbu.org        ///