Announcement: New Vim Tip: Text mode menus

Announcement: New Vim Tip: Text mode menus

Tony Mechelynck
https://vim.fandom.com/wiki/Text_mode_menus

I added this code to my vimrc at a time when for some reason I
couldn't get menus on a menubar even in gvim. On my new computer
(which may have been set up just a tiny wee bit differently) the
menubar has reappeared, but I'm leaving this code in my vimrc because:
* it allows me to get Vim menus even when running Vim in a console
* it gives me text-style Vim menus on the gvim status line in addition
to (or as a fallback for) the menus on the menubar.
These menus use the standard gvim menus and the standard Vim wildmode
completion, which is compiled by default in all Vim builds with
expression evaluation (but the code checks for it anyway: better be
safe than sorry).

I feel that this code is now mature so I'm sharing it with the community.

Have fun!

Re: Announcement: New Vim Tip: Text mode menus

tony-2
Thank you very much, Tony

I gave a whirl on the Windows cygwin vim and ChromeOS Crostini debian console and your code worked in both instances :-)

The text mode menus really help jog the memory!

Best,
tony