Quantcast

Annoying spaces in Path

ccbrighty .
Hi all !
I am new to vim. I met a annoying problem when dealing with spaces in file path.

I add this in my vimrc file to ctag a file quickly:
map <C-F12> :!ctags -o "%:p:h/tags" --c++-kinds=+p --fields=+iaS --extra=+q "%"
I don't want to save tags in my $HOME, so I let it be in the directory of the source
file. It works well when there's no space in the file path, but it when meet path like
"/media/hdc8/Stack Queue/stack.cc", it breaks down:

sort: open failed: Queue/tags: No such file or directory
ctags: cannot sort tag file : No such file or directory

Anyone get a good idea? Thanks in advance~!

RE: Annoying spaces in Path

Steve Hall-3

From: "ccbrighty .", Fri, April 11, 2008 1:26 am

> I met a annoying problem when dealing with spaces in file path.

[...]
> when meet path like
> "/media/hdc8/Stack Queue/stack.cc", it breaks down:
>
> sort: open failed: Queue/tags: No such file or directory
> ctags: cannot sort tag file : No such file or directory

Looks like you just need to escape the spaces:

  "/media/hdc8/Stack\ Queue/stack.cc"

--
Steve Hall  [ digitect dancingpaper com ]

Re: Annoying spaces in Path

... ...-3
Well, this is not what I mean.
I mean when open file /media/hdc8/Stack Queue/stack.cc(One space between "Stack" and "Queue")
and press ctrl + F12, it breaks down and says:

sort: open failed: Queue/tags: No such file or directory
ctags: cannot sort tag file : No such file or directory

but if I change the directory name from "Stack Queue" into "StackQueue", the path /media/hdc8/StackQueue/stack.cc
now contains no space, and it works correctly.

I do not type the path by myself, but use "%:p:h/tags". So it is impossible to add a "\".( And if I have to add "\" every time,
I'd rather not use it. )

regards,

From: "ccbrighty .", Fri, April 11, 2008 1:26 am

> I met a annoying problem when dealing with spaces in file path.

[...]
> when meet path like
> "/media/hdc8/Stack Queue/stack.cc", it breaks down:
>
> sort: open failed: Queue/tags: No such file or directory
> ctags: cannot sort tag file : No such file or directory

Looks like you just need to escape the spaces:

 "/media/hdc8/Stack\ Queue/stack.cc"

--
Steve Hall  [ digitect dancingpaper com ]

Re: Annoying spaces in Path

Jürgen Krämer-4

ccbrighty . wrote:

> I am new to vim. I met a annoying problem when dealing with spaces in
> file path.
>
> I add this in my vimrc file to ctag a file quickly:
> map <C-F12> :!ctags -o "%:p:h/tags" --c++-kinds=+p --fields=+iaS
> --extra=+q "%"
> I don't want to save tags in my $HOME, so I let it be in the directory
> of the source
> file. It works well when there's no space in the file path, but it when
> meet path like
> "/media/hdc8/Stack Queue/stack.cc", it breaks down:
>
> sort: open failed: Queue/tags: No such file or directory
> ctags: cannot sort tag file : No such file or directory
>
> Anyone get a good idea? Thanks in advance~!

this might be a problem of ctags calling an external sort. What does

  ctags --help

say? The first lines of the windows version I use are

  Exuberant Ctags 5.6, Copyright (C) 1996-2004 Darren Hiebert
    Compiled: Jun  9 2006, 08:58:47
    Addresses: <[hidden email]>, http://ctags.sourceforge.net
    Optional compiled features: +win32, +regex, +internal-sort

If you don't have "+internal-sort" ctags probably does not quote the
file name correctly when it calls the external sort.

Regards,
Jürgen

in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.     (Calvin)

Re: Annoying spaces in Path

Ben Fritz

On 4/11/08, Jürgen Krämer <[hidden email]> wrote:

>  Hi,
>

>  ccbrighty . wrote:
>  >
>  > I am new to vim. I met a annoying problem when dealing with spaces in
>  > file path.
>  >
>  > I add this in my vimrc file to ctag a file quickly:
>  > map <C-F12> :!ctags -o "%:p:h/tags" --c++-kinds=+p --fields=+iaS
>  > --extra=+q "%"
>  > I don't want to save tags in my $HOME, so I let it be in the directory
>  > of the source
>  > file. It works well when there's no space in the file path, but it when
>  > meet path like
>  > "/media/hdc8/Stack Queue/stack.cc", it breaks down:
>  >
>  > sort: open failed: Queue/tags: No such file or directory
>  > ctags: cannot sort tag file : No such file or directory
>  >
>  > Anyone get a good idea? Thanks in advance~!
>

> this might be a problem of ctags calling an external sort. What does
>
>   ctags --help
>
>  say? The first lines of the windows version I use are
>
>   Exuberant Ctags 5.6, Copyright (C) 1996-2004 Darren Hiebert
>     Compiled: Jun  9 2006, 08:58:47
>     Addresses: <[hidden email]>, http://ctags.sourceforge.net
>     Optional compiled features: +win32, +regex, +internal-sort
>
>  If you don't have "+internal-sort" ctags probably does not quote the
>  file name correctly when it calls the external sort.
>
>  Regards,
>  Jürgen

See :help escape() for a solution to your problem.

You may need to make use of the expression register in your mapping to
use it, like this:

<C-R>=escape(expand("%:p:h"), ' ')<CR>

Re: Annoying spaces in Path

On 11/04/08 14:35, ... ... wrote:

> Well, this is not what I mean.
> I mean when open file /media/hdc8/Stack Queue/stack.cc(One space between
> "Stack" and "Queue")
> and press ctrl + F12, it breaks down and says:
>
> sort: open failed: Queue/tags: No such file or directory
> ctags: cannot sort tag file : No such file or directory
>
> but if I change the directory name from "Stack Queue" into "StackQueue",
> the path /media/hdc8/StackQueue/stack.cc
> now contains no space, and it works correctly.
>
> I do not type the path by myself, but use "%:p:h/tags". So it is
> impossible to add a "\".( And if I have to add "\" every time,
> I'd rather not use it. )
>
> regards,

If you are on Windows, you can use the 8.3 version of that path (with
the :8 filename-modifier, as in %:p:8:h), which contains no spaces. That
would replace "Stack Queue" by something like STACKQ~1 which your system
will recognise as another name for the same directory.

And BTW, please use plaintext. Black text on dark green background is
hard to read, and adds nothing. In plaintext, you can use the following
shorthand to represent *bold*, /italics/ and _underlined text_.

ARTHUR: Listen, old crone!  Unless you tell us where we can buy a shrubbery,
         my friend and I will ... we will say "Ni!"
CRONE:  Do your worst!
PICTURES LTD

Re: Annoying spaces in Path

... ...-3
1. I replaced the original one with this:
map <C-F12> :!ctags -o <C-R>=escape(expand("%:p:h"), ' \')<CR>/tags --c++-kinds=+p --fields=+iaS --extra=+q "%"
but it failed, too:
:!ctags -o /media/hdc8/a\ b/tags --c++-kinds=+p --fields=+iaS --extra=+q "/media/hdc8/a b/stacks.cpp"
sort: open failed: b/tags: No such file or directory
ctags: cannot sort tag file : No such file or directory

2. My O/S is  Ubuntu, and ctags --help says:
Optional compiled features: +wildcards, +regex , no +internal-sort
So I wanted to recompile ctags and add the option. But I checked the "INSTALL" in "ctags-5.7.tar.gz", I couldn't find any instructions on how to turn it on, all I found are:
--disable-etags
--disable-extended-format
--disable-external-sort
--enable-custom-config=FILE
--enable-macro-patterns
--enable-maintainer-mode
--enable-tmpdir=DIR
Did I miss something?

Best regards,
Zhang Shuhan

On Sat, Apr 12, 2008 at 1:11 PM, Tony Mechelynck <[hidden email]> wrote:

On 11/04/08 14:35, ... ... wrote:
> Well, this is not what I mean.
> I mean when open file /media/hdc8/Stack Queue/stack.cc(One space between
> "Stack" and "Queue")
> and press ctrl + F12, it breaks down and says:
>
> sort: open failed: Queue/tags: No such file or directory
> ctags: cannot sort tag file : No such file or directory
>
> but if I change the directory name from "Stack Queue" into "StackQueue",
> the path /media/hdc8/StackQueue/stack.cc
> now contains no space, and it works correctly.
>
> I do not type the path by myself, but use "%:p:h/tags". So it is
> impossible to add a "\".( And if I have to add "\" every time,
> I'd rather not use it. )
>
> regards,

If you are on Windows, you can use the 8.3 version of that path (with
the :8 filename-modifier, as in %:p:8:h), which contains no spaces. That
would replace "Stack Queue" by something like STACKQ~1 which your system
will recognise as another name for the same directory.

And BTW, please use plaintext. Black text on dark green background is
hard to read, and adds nothing. In plaintext, you can use the following
shorthand to represent *bold*, /italics/ and _underlined text_.

ARTHUR: Listen, old crone!  Unless you tell us where we can buy a shrubbery,
        my friend and I will ... we will say "Ni!"
CRONE:  Do your worst!
PICTURES LTD

Re: Annoying spaces in Path

Tony Mechelynck

On 12/04/08 18:18, ... ... wrote:
> 1. I replaced the original one with this:
> map <C-F12> :!ctags -o <C-R>=escape(expand("%:p:h"), ' \')<CR>/tags
> --c++-kinds=+p --fields=+iaS --extra=+q "%"
> but it failed, too:
> :!ctags -o /media/hdc8/a\ b/tags --c++-kinds=+p --fields=+iaS --extra=+q
> "/media/hdc8/a b/stacks.cpp"
> sort: open failed: b/tags: No such file or directory
> ctags: cannot sort tag file : No such file or directory
[...]

When you execute the ! command with a backslash-escaped space, the
backslash is removed. The shell (bash or similar) doesn't see it: so you
need more backslashes, maybe /a\\ b/ or /a\\\ b/, I'm not sure.
Similarly further on, I think the quotes are not necessary but a
"proper" number of backslashes are.

What makes the universe so hard to comprehend is that there's nothing
to compare it with.

Re: Annoying spaces in Path

... ...-3
I tried to use:
set autochdir
and then:
map <C-F12> :!ctags -o ./tags --c++-kinds=+p --fields=+iaS --extra=+q "%"
It works "perfectly", but unfortunately, some important plugins break down, like Vimball.

I have no idea on how to add more backslashes.
For the moment, I remove all the spaces in my directory name.
The spaces are really annoying... ...

On 11/04/08 14:35, ... ... wrote:
> Well, this is not what I mean.
> I mean when open file /media/hdc8/Stack Queue/stack.cc(One space between
> "Stack" and "Queue")
> and press ctrl + F12, it breaks down and says:
>
> sort: open failed: Queue/tags: No such file or directory
> ctags: cannot sort tag file : No such file or directory
>
> but if I change the directory name from "Stack Queue" into "StackQueue",
> the path /media/hdc8/StackQueue/stack.cc
> now contains no space, and it works correctly.
>
> I do not type the path by myself, but use "%:p:h/tags". So it is
> impossible to add a "\".( And if I have to add "\" every time,
> I'd rather not use it. )
>
> regards,

If you are on Windows, you can use the 8.3 version of that path (with
the :8 filename-modifier, as in %:p:8:h), which contains no spaces. That
would replace "Stack Queue" by something like STACKQ~1 which your system
will recognise as another name for the same directory.

And BTW, please use plaintext. Black text on dark green background is
hard to read, and adds nothing. In plaintext, you can use the following
shorthand to represent *bold*, /italics/ and _underlined text_.

ARTHUR: Listen, old crone!  Unless you tell us where we can buy a shrubbery,
        my friend and I will ... we will say "Ni!"
CRONE:  Do your worst!
PICTURES LTD

Rather than expand("%:p:h") you just want expand("%:p")

I'm not sure if I told you to use the :h or not, but I was wrong if I did.

See :help expand() for details. The % is for the current file name, the :p is to expand it to the full path, the :h would remove the file name, leaving just the directory the file is in.

Re: Annoying spaces in Path

... ...-3
I've seen :help expand(), but I'm sorry I became more confused about the meaning of:
Rather than expand("%:p:h") you just want expand("%:p")     --- Benjamin

I guess it is:
map <C-F12> :!ctags -o <C-R>=escape(expand("%:p"), ' \')<CR>/tags --c++-kinds=+p --fields=+iaS --extra=+q "%"
It is obviously wrong, it results to :
!ctags -o /media/hdc8/a\ b/stacks.cpp/tags --c++-kinds=+p --fields=+iaS --extra=+q "/media/hdc8/a b/stacks.cpp"
ctags: cannot open tag file : Not a directory

or maybe this:
map <C-F12> :!ctags -o <C-R>=escape(expand("%:p:h"), ' \')<CR>/tags --c++-kinds=+p --fields=+iaS --extra=+q <C-R>=escape(expand("%:p"), ' \')<CR>
it results to :
:!ctags -o /media/hdc8/a\ b/tags --c++-kinds=+p --fields=+iaS --extra=+q /media/hdc8/a\ b/stacks.cpp
sort: open failed: b/tags: No such file or directory
ctags: cannot sort tag file : No such file or directory

What I want is to ctag a file like "/media/hdc8/a b/stacks.cpp"(with a space in a path)
and save tag file as"/media/hdc8/a b/tags"

Best regards,
Zhang Shuhan

On 4/12/08, ... ... <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> > >
> > > And BTW, please use plaintext. Black text on dark green background is
> > > hard to read, and adds nothing. In plaintext, you can use the following
> > > shorthand to represent *bold*, /italics/ and _underlined text_.
> > >
> > > Best regards,
> > > Tony.
> > > --
> > > ARTHUR: Listen, old crone!  Unless you tell us where we can buy a
> shrubbery,
> > >         my friend and I will ... we will say "Ni!"
> > > CRONE:  Do your worst!
> > >                  "Monty Python and the Holy Grail" PYTHON (MONTY)
> > > PICTURES LTD
> > >

> > Rather than expand("%:p:h") you just want expand("%:p")
> >
> > I'm not sure if I told you to use the :h or not, but I was wrong if I did.
> >
> > See :help expand() for details. The % is for the current file name, the :p
> is to expand it to the full path, the :h would remove the file name, leaving

You're right...sorry. I need to read more carefully methinks. Not sure
what's going on there.

Re: Annoying spaces in Path

Jürgen Krämer-4

... ... wrote:

> 2. My O/S is  Ubuntu, and ctags --help says:
> Optional compiled features: +wildcards, +regex , no +internal-sort
> So I wanted to recompile ctags and add the option. But I checked the
> "INSTALL" in "ctags-5.7.tar.gz", I couldn't find any instructions on how
> to turn it on, all I found are:
> --disable-etags
> --disable-extended-format
> --disable-external-sort
  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> --enable-custom-config=FILE
> --enable-macro-patterns
> --enable-maintainer-mode
> --enable-tmpdir=DIR
> Did I miss something?

disabling external sort should enable internal sort.

Regards,
Jürgen

in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.     (Calvin)

Re: Annoying spaces in Path

Ben Schmidt

>> sort: open failed: Queue/tags: No such file or directory
>> ctags: cannot sort tag file : No such file or directory
>>
>> Anyone get a good idea? Thanks in advance~!
>
> this might be a problem of ctags calling an external sort. What does
>
>   ctags --help
>
> say? The first lines of the windows version I use are
>
>   Exuberant Ctags 5.6, Copyright (C) 1996-2004 Darren Hiebert
>     Compiled: Jun  9 2006, 08:58:47
>     Addresses: <[hidden email]>, http://ctags.sourceforge.net
>     Optional compiled features: +win32, +regex, +internal-sort
>
> If you don't have "+internal-sort" ctags probably does not quote the
> file name correctly when it calls the external sort.

Yes. It is quite obvious that it is an external 'sort' command that is failing to
find the nonexistent file, which means it is a ctags bug in how it is calling
'sort', or interpreting its arguments. I expect you will get the same error if you
run the command from the commandline, rather than Vim. Further help may be found
on a ctags mailing list, I expect. They may even fix the ctags bug if you ask
nicely. :-)

Ben.

Re: Annoying spaces in Path

... ...-3
I recompile ctag with option --disable-external-sort and everything is ok !

Thank you Jürgen, and thanks to everyone!

Best regards,
Zhang Shuhan