Any work been done on a MSI installer for gvim?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Any work been done on a MSI installer for gvim?

Rick Born
I would like to deploy GVim to a bunch of windows machines attached to a
domain with active directory. In order to use Group Policy to push this
software, I need to have it in the form of a MSI package.

I have started building a MSI package but thought if someone had already
done the work, why waste my time.

On the other hand, if no one has done this, would there be a desire to have
this package? If so I could upload my efforts and make them available

thanks,
Rick

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Any work been done on a MSI installer for gvim?

Alexei Alexandrov
Hi Rick Born, you wrote:

> I would like to deploy GVim to a bunch of windows machines attached to a
> domain with active directory. In order to use Group Policy to push this
> software, I need to have it in the form of a MSI package.
>
> I have started building a MSI package but thought if someone had already
> done the work, why waste my time.
>
> On the other hand, if no one has done this, would there be a desire to
> have this package? If so I could upload my efforts and make them available
>
> thanks,
> Rick
>

Anyway, I think it doesn't make sense to build MSI package once. What could be useful, I think, is to create a script for creating installation package (like the one we have for NSIS). Microsoft's WiX (http://sourceforge.net/projects/wix) is a good point to start with.

--
Alexei Alexandrov
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Any work been done on a MSI installer for gvim?

Rick Born
In reply to this post by Rick Born
 OK I will look into that. Do you know where the NSIS script is? I searched
the VIM site and only found scripts for NSIS syntax highlighting. I used
Orca to make the installer but the XML based WiX looks nicer
Thanks for the response

Rick




"Alexei Alexandrov" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
news:d8gkun$16o$[hidden email]...

> Hi Rick Born, you wrote:
>
>> I would like to deploy GVim to a bunch of windows machines attached to a
>> domain with active directory. In order to use Group Policy to push this
>> software, I need to have it in the form of a MSI package.
>>
>> I have started building a MSI package but thought if someone had already
>> done the work, why waste my time.
>>
>> On the other hand, if no one has done this, would there be a desire to
>> have this package? If so I could upload my efforts and make them
>> available
>>
>> thanks,
>> Rick
>>
>
> Anyway, I think it doesn't make sense to build MSI package once. What
> could be useful, I think, is to create a script for creating installation
> package (like the one we have for NSIS). Microsoft's WiX
> (http://sourceforge.net/projects/wix) is a good point to start with.
>
> --
> Alexei Alexandrov
>

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Any work been done on a MSI installer for gvim?

Alexei Alexandrov
Hi Rick Born, you wrote:

>  OK I will look into that. Do you know where the NSIS script is? I
> searched the VIM site and only found scripts for NSIS syntax highlighting.
> I used Orca to make the installer but the XML based WiX looks nicer
> Thanks for the response
>

It's in the VIM sources package, nsis directory.

--
Alexei Alexandrov
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Any work been done on a MSI installer for gvim?

A.J.Mechelynck
In reply to this post by Rick Born
Rick Born wrote:

>  OK I will look into that. Do you know where the NSIS script is? I searched
> the VIM site and only found scripts for NSIS syntax highlighting. I used
> Orca to make the installer but the XML based WiX looks nicer
> Thanks for the response
>
> Rick
>
>
>
>
> "Alexei Alexandrov" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
> news:d8gkun$16o$[hidden email]...
>
>>Hi Rick Born, you wrote:
>>
>>
>>>I would like to deploy GVim to a bunch of windows machines attached to a
>>>domain with active directory. In order to use Group Policy to push this
>>>software, I need to have it in the form of a MSI package.
>>>
>>>I have started building a MSI package but thought if someone had already
>>>done the work, why waste my time.
>>>
>>>On the other hand, if no one has done this, would there be a desire to
>>>have this package? If so I could upload my efforts and make them
>>>available
>>>
>>>thanks,
>>>Rick
>>>
>>
>>Anyway, I think it doesn't make sense to build MSI package once. What
>>could be useful, I think, is to create a script for creating installation
>>package (like the one we have for NSIS). Microsoft's WiX
>>(http://sourceforge.net/projects/wix) is a good point to start with.
>>
>>--
>>Alexei Alexandrov
>>
>
>
>
>
>

I think Steve Hall has a resource for installing Vim but it might be
slightly different from the standard one. I haven't used it. There's a
link at the very bottom of his Vim page
http://cream.sourceforge.net/vim.html

Best regards,
Tony.