Anybody using the Farsi feature?

Bram Moolenaar

Vim includes Farsi support.  This implementation is quite old and uses
an encoding standard that is not widely used: ISIR-3342.  In fact,
searching for that standard has the first 9 matches in Vim code.
It does not work with Unicode.

Is anobody actually using this code?  If not, I think we can remove it.
It would be best if it can be replaced by a Unicode implementation.  But
it requires someone understanding the language to do this.

--
DINGO:   And after the spanking ... the oral sex.
GALAHAD: Oh, dear! Well, I...

Re: Anybody using the Farsi feature?

Tony Mechelynck
On Sun, Apr 9, 2017 at 2:47 PM, Bram Moolenaar <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Vim includes Farsi support.  This implementation is quite old and uses
> an encoding standard that is not widely used: ISIR-3342.  In fact,
> searching for that standard has the first 9 matches in Vim code.
> It does not work with Unicode.

Farsi code is quite old indeed, possibly older than Vim support for Unicode.

The Arabic subsystem is newer, makes use of Unicode, and ought to work
for Farsi in Unicode, even the additional letters added to the Arabic
alphabet to support the Persian language. "Farsi Yeh" (an Arabic
letter yeh which loses its two dots below when it is wriiten in
zig-zag shape, i.e. final or isolated) may or may not be one of them,
it is used in Classical Arabic in the Mashrek (the Eastern part of the
Arabic-language domain).

> Is anobody actually using this code?  If not, I think we can remove it.
> It would be best if it can be replaced by a Unicode implementation.  But
> it requires someone understanding the language to do this.

Someone understanding Farsi (not me) should check if setting 'arabic',
and setting a 'guifont' with the proper glyphs for Farsi, are enough
to write Farsi in Unicode in gvim 8.0. I'm attaching a "phonetic
Arabic" keymap which ought to be usable (after some getting used to)
for writing Farsi on a European keyboard, possibly with a few obvious
additions (obvious to someone knowing Persian). Of course anyone with
a Persian keyboard won't need mine.

If the letters added to the Arabic alphabet to support the Farsi
language don't shape correctly in gvim, then IMHO it should be
possible to add the necessary shaping rules to our Arabic subsystem.
These letters are "Arabic letters" in the wide sense of the word after
all, just like Scandinavian øæå, German äöüß, French àâçéêèëîïùŷÿœ,
Icelandic ðþ, etc. are "Latin letters" in the wide sense of the word.

> --
> DINGO:   And after the spanking ... the oral sex.
> GALAHAD: Oh, dear! Well, I...
> GIRLS:   The oral sex ...  The oral sex.
> GALAHAD: Well, I suppose I could stay a BIT longer.
>                  "Monty Python and the Holy Grail" PYTHON (MONTY) PICTURES LTD

arabicbis_utf-8.vim (35K) Download Attachment

Re: Anybody using the Farsi feature?

Shlomi Fish-2
Hi Behdad!

Can you provide assistance with checking vim's support of UTF-8-based Persian?
See below.

Everybody: Behdad is a Persian speaker and FOSS enthusiast and he's been
contributing to FOSS i18n support for many years, see http://behdad.org/ . So I
recalled him when I saw this thread.

Regards,

        Shlomi

On Sun, 9 Apr 2017 17:03:06 +0200
Tony Mechelynck <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sun, Apr 9, 2017 at 2:47 PM, Bram Moolenaar <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Vim includes Farsi support.  This implementation is quite old and uses
> > an encoding standard that is not widely used: ISIR-3342.  In fact,
> > searching for that standard has the first 9 matches in Vim code.
> > It does not work with Unicode.
>
> Farsi code is quite old indeed, possibly older than Vim support for Unicode.
>
> The Arabic subsystem is newer, makes use of Unicode, and ought to work
> for Farsi in Unicode, even the additional letters added to the Arabic
> alphabet to support the Persian language. "Farsi Yeh" (an Arabic
> letter yeh which loses its two dots below when it is wriiten in
> zig-zag shape, i.e. final or isolated) may or may not be one of them,
> it is used in Classical Arabic in the Mashrek (the Eastern part of the
> Arabic-language domain).
> >
> > Is anobody actually using this code?  If not, I think we can remove it.
> > It would be best if it can be replaced by a Unicode implementation.  But
> > it requires someone understanding the language to do this.
>
> Someone understanding Farsi (not me) should check if setting 'arabic',
> and setting a 'guifont' with the proper glyphs for Farsi, are enough
> to write Farsi in Unicode in gvim 8.0. I'm attaching a "phonetic
> Arabic" keymap which ought to be usable (after some getting used to)
> for writing Farsi on a European keyboard, possibly with a few obvious
> additions (obvious to someone knowing Persian). Of course anyone with
> a Persian keyboard won't need mine.
>
> If the letters added to the Arabic alphabet to support the Farsi
> language don't shape correctly in gvim, then IMHO it should be
> possible to add the necessary shaping rules to our Arabic subsystem.
> These letters are "Arabic letters" in the wide sense of the word after
> all, just like Scandinavian øæå, German äöüß, French àâçéêèëîïùŷÿœ,
> Icelandic ðþ, etc. are "Latin letters" in the wide sense of the word.
> >

> Best regards,
> Tony.

Shlomi Fish

I promised, I forgot, I did not keep my promise — just shoot me, and get on
with it!

On Wed, Apr 19, 2017 at 12:01 AM, Behdad Esfahbod <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Humm.  I don't like it that :set arabic activates a vim-side Arabic
> keyboard.  I run vim in gnome-terminal and want to use my X11 keyboards...

:set arabic, like :set nocompatible, :behave mswin, :vimdiff, :source
vimrc_example.vim, and some others, sets a well-defined set of
options. Any of them can be overridden by adding the appropriate
counteracting instructions immediately afterwards. For instance, I
have an owncoded Arabic keymap which I prefer to the one set by the
'arabic' option so I set it immediately after setting 'arabic'. If you
prefer to use your own native X11 keyboard (and possibly set 'langmap'
to define ASCII characters as a function of Arabic-Farsi ones) you can
set 'keymap' to the empty string, and possibly also 'langmap' as
desired, as follows:
• maybe, in the vimrc
    :set langmap=someting
• when starting to edit in Farsi
    :new ~/path/to/some/filename.ext
    :setlocal arabic
    :setlocal keymap=

Re: Anybody using the Farsi feature?

Christian Brabandt
> On Wed, Apr 19, 2017 at 12:01 AM, Behdad Esfahbod <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> > Humm.  I don't like it that :set arabic activates a vim-side Arabic
> > keyboard.  I run vim in gnome-terminal and want to use my X11 keyboards...

Could the complete mail please forwarded to any of the two mailinglist
please?

Best,
Christian
--
Multitasking bei Win98:
Du kannst mehrere Programme gleichzeitig abstürzen lassen.