Apples distributed Vim version

Christian Brabandt
Hi,
has anybody stumbled over the fact, that Apple seems to distribute a Vim
version 7.4.8056, which is a version that never actually existed?

See here
https://github.com/Valloric/YouCompleteMe/issues/2721#issuecomment-317234769
or here:
https://medium.com/@amit.kulkarni/learn-linux-vim-basic-features-19134461ab85
(more information here:
https://www.reddit.com/r/vim/comments/7etvld/why_i_love_vim/dq88yk3/)

I find it very strange, if this is true.

Christian
--
Hilfsbereitschaft innerhalb einer Gemeinschaft kann nicht durch
behördlich Erlasse hergestellt werden. Sie muß in den Herzen der

Re: Apples distributed Vim version

Lifepillar
On 24/11/2017 11:36, Christian Brabandt wrote:

> Hi,
> has anybody stumbled over the fact, that Apple seems to distribute a Vim
> version 7.4.8056, which is a version that never actually existed?
>
> See here
> https://github.com/Valloric/YouCompleteMe/issues/2721#issuecomment-317234769
> or here:
> https://medium.com/@amit.kulkarni/learn-linux-vim-basic-features-19134461ab85
> (more information here:
> https://www.reddit.com/r/vim/comments/7etvld/why_i_love_vim/dq88yk3/)
>
> I find it very strange, if this is true.

In macOS 10.13.1, `/usr/bin/vim --version` returns Vim 8.0 (Included
patches: 1-503, 505-642). Vim 8.0.642 is what is shown in the intro
screen.

(Btw, any idea on why patch 504 has been skipped?)

I vaguely remember that in older OS versions there was Vim 7.3, and I
have never seen 7.4. But I have always used the version from Homebrew,
so I may have missed it.

Life.

On 24/11/2017 12:46, Lifepillar wrote:

> On 24/11/2017 11:36, Christian Brabandt wrote:
>> Hi,
>> has anybody stumbled over the fact, that Apple seems to distribute a Vim
>> version 7.4.8056, which is a version that never actually existed?
>>
>> See here
>> https://github.com/Valloric/YouCompleteMe/issues/2721#issuecomment-317234769
>>
>> or here:
>> https://medium.com/@amit.kulkarni/learn-linux-vim-basic-features-19134461ab85
>>
>> (more information here:
>> https://www.reddit.com/r/vim/comments/7etvld/why_i_love_vim/dq88yk3/)
>>
>> I find it very strange, if this is true.
>
> In macOS 10.13.1, `/usr/bin/vim --version` returns Vim 8.0 (Included
> patches: 1-503, 505-642). Vim 8.0.642 is what is shown in the intro
> screen.
>
> (Btw, any idea on why patch 504 has been skipped?)
>
> I vaguely remember that in older OS versions there was Vim 7.3, and I
> have never seen 7.4. But I have always used the version from Homebrew,
> so I may have missed it.

I put my hands on a machine with macOS Sierra, and, in fact, its version
is 7.4.8056. It has patch 8.0.0056, though, because invalid filetype
names raise E474, so that explains the version number.

Much more interesting, IMHO, is trying to understand why they skipped
patch 504 in the current release. The commit message reads:

patch 8.0.0504: looking up an Ex command is a bit slow

Problem:    Looking up an Ex command is a bit slow.
Solution:   Instead of just using the first letter, also use the second
letter
             to skip ahead in the list of commands. Generate the table
with a
             Perl script. (Dominique Pelle, closes #1589)

Maybe related to the fact that they built Vim without +perl (so, maybe
they didn't have Perl in their build environment)? Are there are commits
between 1 and 642 that require Perl?

Life.

On Fr, 24 Nov 2017, Lifepillar wrote:

> On 24/11/2017 12:46, Lifepillar wrote:
> >On 24/11/2017 11:36, Christian Brabandt wrote:
> >>Hi,
> >>has anybody stumbled over the fact, that Apple seems to distribute a Vim
> >>version 7.4.8056, which is a version that never actually existed?
> >>
> >>See here
> >>https://github.com/Valloric/YouCompleteMe/issues/2721#issuecomment-317234769
> >>
> >>or here:
> >>https://medium.com/@amit.kulkarni/learn-linux-vim-basic-features-19134461ab85
> >>
> >>(more information here:
> >>https://www.reddit.com/r/vim/comments/7etvld/why_i_love_vim/dq88yk3/)
> >>
> >>I find it very strange, if this is true.
> >
> >In macOS 10.13.1, `/usr/bin/vim --version` returns Vim 8.0 (Included
> >patches: 1-503, 505-642). Vim 8.0.642 is what is shown in the intro
> >screen.
> >
> >(Btw, any idea on why patch 504 has been skipped?)
> >
> >I vaguely remember that in older OS versions there was Vim 7.3, and I
> >have never seen 7.4. But I have always used the version from Homebrew,
> >so I may have missed it.
>
> I put my hands on a machine with macOS Sierra, and, in fact, its version
> is 7.4.8056. It has patch 8.0.0056, though, because invalid filetype
> names raise E474, so that explains the version number.
>
> Much more interesting, IMHO, is trying to understand why they skipped
> patch 504 in the current release. The commit message reads:
>
> patch 8.0.0504: looking up an Ex command is a bit slow
>
> Problem:    Looking up an Ex command is a bit slow.
> Solution:   Instead of just using the first letter, also use the second
> letter
>             to skip ahead in the list of commands. Generate the table with a
>             Perl script. (Dominique Pelle, closes #1589)
>
> Maybe related to the fact that they built Vim without +perl (so, maybe
> they didn't have Perl in their build environment)? Are there are commits
> between 1 and 642 that require Perl?

Don't know, but +perl is not needed for that patch I believe.

Best,
Christian
--
"Denn die Götter lehren uns ihr eigenstes Werk nachahmen; doch
wissen wir nur, was wir tun, erkennen aber nicht, was wir nachahmen."

On 24/11/2017 15:03, Christian Brabandt wrote:

> On Fr, 24 Nov 2017, Lifepillar wrote:

>>> In macOS 10.13.1, `/usr/bin/vim --version` returns Vim 8.0 (Included
>>> patches: 1-503, 505-642). Vim 8.0.642 is what is shown in the intro
>>> screen.
>>>
>>> (Btw, any idea on why patch 504 has been skipped?)
>>>
>>> I vaguely remember that in older OS versions there was Vim 7.3, and I
>>> have never seen 7.4. But I have always used the version from Homebrew,
>>> so I may have missed it.
>>
>> I put my hands on a machine with macOS Sierra, and, in fact, its version
>> is 7.4.8056. It has patch 8.0.0056, though, because invalid filetype
>> names raise E474, so that explains the version number.
>>
>> Much more interesting, IMHO, is trying to understand why they skipped
>> patch 504 in the current release. The commit message reads:
>>
>> patch 8.0.0504: looking up an Ex command is a bit slow
>>
>> Problem:    Looking up an Ex command is a bit slow.
>> Solution:   Instead of just using the first letter, also use the second
>> letter
>>              to skip ahead in the list of commands. Generate the table with a
>>              Perl script. (Dominique Pelle, closes #1589)
>>
>> Maybe related to the fact that they built Vim without +perl (so, maybe
>> they didn't have Perl in their build environment)? Are there are commits
>> between 1 and 642 that require Perl?
>
> Don't know, but +perl is not needed for that patch I believe.

No, but in 8.0.0504, perl was needed to generate the Ex command
lookup table. My *wild* guess is that their build environment didn't
have Perl (corroborated by the fact that they didn't include +perl),
so they skipped the patch.

Patch 8.0.0572 removed the Perl requirement, but they didn't notice,
didn't care or didn't have time to care, so the gap remains.

Of course, this is pure, and somewhat frivolous, speculation :)

Life.

Re: Apples distributed Vim version

Stroller-2

> On 24 Nov 2017, at 11:46, Lifepillar <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I vaguely remember that in older OS versions there was Vim 7.3, and I
> have never seen 7.4. But I have always used the version from Homebrew,
> so I may have missed it.

I'm on El Capitan, 10.11.6, and vim is 7.3.

Stroller.

Re: Apples distributed Vim version

romainlafourcade
Apple publishes their open source code over there : https://opensource.apple.com/

That 8056 patch appeared in this version: https://opensource.apple.com/source/vim/vim-62.41.2/

The differences seem to be limited to src/option.c and src/version.c.

On Mo, 27 Nov 2017, [hidden email] wrote:

> Apple publishes their open source code over there : https://opensource.apple.com/
>
> That 8056 patch appeared in this version: https://opensource.apple.com/source/vim/vim-62.41.2/
>
> The differences seem to be limited to src/option.c and src/version.c.

Yeah, patch 8056 does fix CVE-2016-1248
https://www.cvedetails.com/cve/CVE-2016-1248/ so that is probably the
reason they included it.

Let's see if the next version released version will then be 7.4.81300 :)

Christian
--
Die meisten Adeligen erinnern an ihre Vorfahren wie ein italienischer
Cicerone an Cicero.