Arbitrary tab stops

Andre Majorel-7
Five years ago, I mentioned it would be very useful if Vim had
arbitrary tab stops. Preferably a list of widths, not a list of
column numbers.

Guess what : I haven't changed my mind. :-)

Re: Arbitrary tab stops

James Vega-3
On Mon, Jun 7, 2010 at 7:57 AM, Andre Majorel <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Five years ago, I mentioned it would be very useful if Vim had
> arbitrary tab stops. Preferably a list of widths, not a list of
> column numbers.
>
> Guess what : I haven't changed my mind. :-)

Code speaks louder than words.  Otherwise, you're relying on someone
else being just as interested as you in your pet feature and being
willing to make the necessary changes.  At least you have the first part
covered already.

--
James
GPG Key: 1024D/61326D40 2003-09-02 James Vega <[hidden email]>

Re: Arbitrary tab stops

James Vega-3
On Mon, Jun 7, 2010 at 9:30 AM, James Vega <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 7, 2010 at 7:57 AM, Andre Majorel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Five years ago, I mentioned it would be very useful if Vim had
>> arbitrary tab stops. Preferably a list of widths, not a list of
>> column numbers.
>>
>> Guess what : I haven't changed my mind. :-)
>
> Code speaks louder than words.  Otherwise, you're relying on someone
> else being just as interested as you in your pet feature and being
> willing to make the necessary changes.  At least you have the first part
> covered already.

Just as an example, Vince Negri's conceal patch has existed for as long
as your request for arbitrary tab stops.  But since it was a patch,
people were able to use it, provide feedback, learn how it is useful to
them, etc.  Five or so years later, it's now in the development tree for
Vim 7.3.

--
James
GPG Key: 1024D/61326D40 2003-09-02 James Vega <[hidden email]>

Re: Arbitrary tab stops

Ingo Karkat
On 07-Jun-2010 13:57, Andre Majorel wrote:
> Five years ago, I mentioned it would be very useful if Vim had
> arbitrary tab stops. Preferably a list of widths, not a list of
> column numbers.
>
> Guess what : I haven't changed my mind. :-)

There is a "variable tabstops" patch by Matthew Winn; it's listed on the Vim
patches page (http://groups.google.com/group/vim_dev/web/vim-patches):

10. Variable tabstops
     Author: Matthew Winn
     Site: http://groups.google.com/group/vim_dev/msg/039495cd5b0f4fd0
     For use with the patch: AutoVariableTabstop command and function
     Set different widths for each tab stop.

I haven't used it personally, but it surely sounds interesting. If some people
try this out now and report back positive news, maybe Bram will still include it
in 7.3 or at least consider it for the following release.

-- regards, ingo

Re: Arbitrary tab stops

On 07/06/10 13:57, Andre Majorel wrote:
> Five years ago, I mentioned it would be very useful if Vim had
> arbitrary tab stops. Preferably a list of widths, not a list of
> column numbers.
>
> Guess what : I haven't changed my mind. :-)

There is an "unofficial" patch for that (I haven't used it) listed at
http://groups.google.com/group/vim_dev/web/vim-patches (it's number 10
in the list). Of course you'll have to compile your own Vim in order to
use it, see
http://users.skynet.be/antoine.mechelynck/vim/compile.htm (Win32)
http://users.skynet.be/antoine.mechelynck/vim/compunix.htm (Unix)
http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Getting_the_Vim_source_with_Mercurial (both)

The patch was made against some version of Vim 7.x, I suppose it should
apply to the current 7.2 patchlevel with nothing more than a line offset
warning (if it doesn't, contact the author). As for the upcoming Vim
7.3, several of the patches on that page have already made their way
into the official alpha code (found as branch "vim73" in the same
Mercurial repository as the Vim 7.2 source), it's of course anyone's
guess whether Bram will decide also to include variable tab stops. In
the meantime you may try to apply the patch to the alpha source if you want.

"Dying is a very dull, dreary affair.  And my advice to you is to have
nothing whatever to do with it."
                -- W. Somerset Maugham

Re: Arbitrary tab stops

Matthew Winn-3
On Mon, 07 Jun 2010 16:07:05 +0200, Ingo Karkat <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> There is a "variable tabstops" patch by Matthew Winn; it's listed on the Vim
> patches page (http://groups.google.com/group/vim_dev/web/vim-patches):
>
> 10. Variable tabstops
>      Author: Matthew Winn
>      Site: http://groups.google.com/group/vim_dev/msg/039495cd5b0f4fd0
>      For use with the patch: AutoVariableTabstop command and function
>      Set different widths for each tab stop.

I can't maintain it any more because my development system died after
more than a decade of continuous use. Lech Lorens kindly took it over
and fixed it up after another patch broke it. It was stable last time
I used it and reliably passed all its own tests.

> I haven't used it personally, but it surely sounds interesting. If some people
> try this out now and report back positive news, maybe Bram will still include it
> in 7.3 or at least consider it for the following release.

I hope so. The reason I originally wrote it was because it was because
I had some free time and decided to tackle something on the TODO list.

--
Matthew Winn

Re: Arbitrary tab stops

Richard Hartmann
On Mon, Jun 7, 2010 at 16:07, Ingo Karkat <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I haven't used it personally, but it surely sounds interesting. If some
> people try this out now and report back positive news, maybe Bram will still
> include it in 7.3 or at least consider it for the following release.

My personal build of Vim has incorporated this patch for ages and
it's really useful. I have not rebuilt it in a while, but my last status
is that it applies, builds and helps.

Richard