Arduino with vim (read "no IDE"-challenge)

Arduino with vim (read "no IDE"-challenge)

tuxic
Hi,

I want to try writing, compiling and uploading Arduino sketches
without using the IDE (I prefere vim (obviously) as editor and
switching between IDE and the then called "external editor" is
quite fiddly).

Fortunately I found plugins which claim to do exactly that.

Unfortunatelu theu are qyite a few.... ;)

Any suggestion what is suggested and what to try first?
Anu Arduino-vimmer out there?

Thanks in advance for uploading any helpful sketch into this mailing list!

Cheers
Meino

Re: Arduino with vim (read "no IDE"-challenge)

Richard Mitchell
On Saturday, July 22, 2017 at 9:44:31 AM UTC-4, [hidden email] wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I want to try writing, compiling and uploading Arduino sketches
> without using the IDE (I prefere vim (obviously) as editor and
> switching between IDE and the then called "external editor" is
> quite fiddly).
>
> Fortunately I found plugins which claim to do exactly that.
>
> Unfortunatelu theu are qyite a few.... ;)
>
> Any suggestion what is suggested and what to try first?
> Anu Arduino-vimmer out there?
>
> Thanks in advance for uploading any helpful sketch into this mailing list!
>
> Cheers
> Meino

What platform are you using?

The current arduino gui can also be run from the command line. On MacOS it can be found:

Arduino.app/Contents/MacOS/Arduino

Using an alias to path to it, you can upload code to your board with something like:

arduino --port /dev/cu.usbmodem1421 --upload FILE.ino

(where obviously you use the correct port for your system)

The main commands I've used are:

    ◦ [-v] --verify FILE.ino
    ◦ [-v] --upload FILE.ino
    ◦ --get-pref

On 07/22 08:02, Richard Mitchell wrote:

> On Saturday, July 22, 2017 at 9:44:31 AM UTC-4, [hidden email] wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I want to try writing, compiling and uploading Arduino sketches
> > without using the IDE (I prefere vim (obviously) as editor and
> > switching between IDE and the then called "external editor" is
> > quite fiddly).
> >
> > Fortunately I found plugins which claim to do exactly that.
> >
> > Unfortunatelu theu are qyite a few.... ;)
> >
> > Any suggestion what is suggested and what to try first?
> > Anu Arduino-vimmer out there?
> >
> > Thanks in advance for uploading any helpful sketch into this mailing list!
> >
> > Cheers
> > Meino
>

> What platform are you using?
>
> The current arduino gui can also be run from the command line. On MacOS it can be found:
>
> Arduino.app/Contents/MacOS/Arduino
>
> Using an alias to path to it, you can upload code to your board with something like:
>
> arduino --port /dev/cu.usbmodem1421 --upload FILE.ino
>
> (where obviously you use the correct port for your system)
>
> The main commands I've used are:
>
>     ◦ [-v] --verify FILE.ino
>     ◦ [-v] --upload FILE.ino
>     ◦ --get-pref

> ---

thanks for your help.

To summarize my initial mail more clearly:
What plugin is recommended, if I want to use vim to replace the tasks
of the Arduino IDE.
I am running Gentoo Linux on a x86 PC.

Cheers
Meino

Re: Arduino with vim (read "no IDE"-challenge)

Erik Christiansen
On 22.07.17 17:21, [hidden email] wrote:
> To summarize my initial mail more clearly:
> What plugin is recommended, if I want to use vim to replace the tasks
> of the Arduino IDE.
> I am running Gentoo Linux on a x86 PC.

Hi Meino,

ISTM that if performing all coding and build actions in Vim, then the
IDE might be ditched altogether? I do my AVR work (including ATmega328P
= most common Arduino CPU) with just Vim, avr-gcc, and binutils
(available as debian packages). While I don't use any Arduino code
(called "sketches", it seems), I see here that Eclipse is just a
front end for the gnu toolchain - even to the point of makefiles:

http://thinkingonthinking.com/an-arduino-sketch-from-scratch/

ISTM then, that if you, either manually or via the IDE, produce a
makefile, then make can be invoked either on the command line or through
Vim, to build the code. Whether you then use the IDE or Avrdude to
download to the target would probably depend on whether you want to keep
the Arduino bootloader intact.

There are others out there using just the gnu toolchain for Arduino
sketches, perhaps along the lines of this plain command line approach:

http://ardas.readthedocs.io/en/latest/build_arduino_sketch.html

And these confessions of an IDE avoider:

http://shallowsky.com/software/arduino/arduino-cmdline.html

have a "mail me" link at the end of the page.

If I were ever to use any Arduino code on the Arduino boards I buy, I'd
just link in the relevant libraries, I figure. There seems to be some of
that here:

https://balau82.wordpress.com/2011/03/29/programming-arduino-uno-in-pure-c/

As the avr-gcc toolchain is already there once the IDE is installed, it
seems that one can work with any Vim/IDE mix desired. E.g. if the files
are edited with Vim, then either "make" or an IDE click could be used to
build.

Erik

On 07/23 06:04, Erik Christiansen wrote:

> On 22.07.17 17:21, [hidden email] wrote:
> > To summarize my initial mail more clearly:
> > What plugin is recommended, if I want to use vim to replace the tasks
> > of the Arduino IDE.
> > I am running Gentoo Linux on a x86 PC.
>
> Hi Meino,
>
> ISTM that if performing all coding and build actions in Vim, then the
> IDE might be ditched altogether? I do my AVR work (including ATmega328P
> = most common Arduino CPU) with just Vim, avr-gcc, and binutils
> (available as debian packages). While I don't use any Arduino code
> (called "sketches", it seems), I see here that Eclipse is just a
> front end for the gnu toolchain - even to the point of makefiles:
>
> http://thinkingonthinking.com/an-arduino-sketch-from-scratch/
>
> ISTM then, that if you, either manually or via the IDE, produce a
> makefile, then make can be invoked either on the command line or through
> Vim, to build the code. Whether you then use the IDE or Avrdude to
> download to the target would probably depend on whether you want to keep
> the Arduino bootloader intact.
>
> There are others out there using just the gnu toolchain for Arduino
> sketches, perhaps along the lines of this plain command line approach:
>
> http://ardas.readthedocs.io/en/latest/build_arduino_sketch.html
>
> And these confessions of an IDE avoider:
>
> http://shallowsky.com/software/arduino/arduino-cmdline.html
>
> have a "mail me" link at the end of the page.
>
> If I were ever to use any Arduino code on the Arduino boards I buy, I'd
> just link in the relevant libraries, I figure. There seems to be some of
> that here:
>
> https://balau82.wordpress.com/2011/03/29/programming-arduino-uno-in-pure-c/
>
> As the avr-gcc toolchain is already there once the IDE is installed, it
> seems that one can work with any Vim/IDE mix desired. E.g. if the files
> are edited with Vim, then either "make" or an IDE click could be used to
> build.
>
> Erik

> ---

Thanks for your help.

It seems difficult, but I simply want the name of the most
recommended/useful plugin for vim to verify, compile and
upload Arduino sketches (!SKETCHES!) to different Arduino
boards.

Cheers
Meino