Quantcast

Arpeggio plugin

David Alan Hjelle

I've been thinking about efficient keymappings lately, and I happened
to run across a plugin that looks like it might support some very
interesting possibilities. <http://www.vim.org/scripts/script.php?
script_id=2425> Essentially, it allows arbitrary combinations of keys
pressed simultaneously (chords) to be mapped to commands.

I tried installing it, but I've not had any success getting their
example mapping of jk to <Esc> working in MacVim, though it seems to
work in 10.5.6's Terminal vim.

Is this a limitation of MacVim, or did I simple install things
wrongly? (Seems unlikely since it worked in the terminal, but who
knows. :-)

David Alan Hjelle

P.S. Out of curiosity, is anyone aware of a nice "package manager" or
some such for Vim plugins? Seems like it would be a really nice option
to have available, especially for newbies. For that matter, a
selection of "typical" .vimrc's to choose from might be spiffy. But
that's really a different topic...

Re: Arpeggio plugin

David Alan Hjelle

I managed to answer my own question. Apparently, my modifications to
my .vimrc to set up some mappings weren't getting picked up, as
everything works as expected if I type

:Arpeggioimap jk <Esc>

Now my only disappointment is that this requires simultaneous key
presses. I was hoping to get more of a modifier key behavior, where I
could (for instance) press j and then press k while j was held down.
If no second key was pressed, it would have the usual behavior for a j
key.

Guess I'll keep digging. Sorry for the list-spam!

David