Automatic update through Sparkle

Tomáš Znamenáček

Hello!

What do you think about automatic MacVim updates through Sparkle? Do
you think it is too early to implement such feature? I have never used
Sparkle in my own application, but the author promises it to be simple
five-step process. See here:

http://sparkle.andymatuschak.org/

I would prefer the automatic update to the manual process of
downloading and installing the new version myself.

T.

Re: Automatic update through Sparkle

Björn Winckler
Hello!

What do you think about automatic MacVim updates through Sparkle? Do
you think it is too early to implement such feature? I have never used
Sparkle in my own application, but the author promises it to be simple
five-step process. See here:

http://sparkle.andymatuschak.org/

I would prefer the automatic update to the manual process of
downloading and installing the new version myself.

I personally think it is too early to add automatic updates to MacVim.  To me, if an application offers an automatic update then it really should work; contrast this with the snapshots I release where each new snapshot might break older functionality (and the new features might not work either for that matter).  If I had to check everything before releasing a snapshot, then I'd certainly not be able to do it once a week.

Anyway...I'm not a huge fan of automatic updates myself, so I will not add this functionality unless I get a fair amount of requests to do so.  So, who wants automatic updates, and who does not?  (Count me on the 'NO' side and Tomas on the 'YES' side.)

/Björn

Re: Automatic update through Sparkle

Christian Zagrodnick
Hoi

On 27.08.2007, at 11:49, björn wrote:

> Hello!
>
> What do you think about automatic MacVim updates through Sparkle? Do
> you think it is too early to implement such feature? I have never used
> Sparkle in my own application, but the author promises it to be simple
> five-step process. See here:
>
> http://sparkle.andymatuschak.org/
>
> I would prefer the automatic update to the manual process of
> downloading and installing the new version myself.
>
> I personally think it is too early to add automatic updates to
> MacVim.  To me, if an application offers an automatic update then
> it really should work; contrast this with the snapshots I release
> where each new snapshot might break older functionality (and the
> new features might not work either for that matter).  If I had to
> check everything before releasing a snapshot, then I'd certainly
> not be able to do it once a week.
>
> Anyway...I'm not a huge fan of automatic updates myself, so I will
> not add this functionality unless I get a fair amount of requests
> to do so.  So, who wants automatic updates, and who does not?
> (Count me on the 'NO' side and Tomas on the 'YES' side.)
You are right about the "must work part". I don't mind automatic
updates once MacVim becomes stable.

Even though it often doesn't matter that much since there are not
many releases of Vim itself and I suppose once the port is done there
is not much to do but building the new releases.

Anyway count me on the yes side :)

--
Christian Zagrodnick

gocept gmbh & co. kg  ·  forsterstrasse 29 · 06112 halle/saale
www.gocept.com · fon. +49 345 12298894 · fax. +49 345 12298891

PGP.sig (193 bytes) Download Attachment

Re: Automatic update through Sparkle

Benjamin Esham

björn wrote:

> Anyway...I'm not a huge fan of automatic updates myself, so I will not add
> this functionality unless I get a fair amount of requests to do so.  So,
> who wants automatic updates, and who does not?

Count me as a supporter of Sparkle here.  (You know, Björn, Sparkle doesn't
automatically replace the old version of the app, it merely notifies the
user that a new version is available.  It makes the process extremely easy,
but it doesn't force anyone to update if they don't want to.)

Cheers,
--
Benjamin D. Esham
E-mail/Jabber: [hidden email] | AIM bdesham128 | PGP D676BB9A

Re: Automatic update through Sparkle

Nico Weber-3

>> Anyway...I'm not a huge fan of automatic updates myself, so I will
>> not add
>> this functionality unless I get a fair amount of requests to do
>> so.  So,
>> who wants automatic updates, and who does not?

I think it's much too soon for that, but I wouldn't exactly hate it
if this was included. I've used Sparkle before, it really is easy to
use.

Since new Vim versions are only released about once a year, this
isn't terribly useful I guess ;-)

Nico

Re: Automatic update through Sparkle

Nico Weber-3

> I think it's much too soon for that, but I wouldn't exactly hate it
> if this was included. I've used Sparkle before, it really is easy to
> use.

I'm talking about the API here :-P