Autowrapping in Txt files

Ven Tadipatri
Hi,
  I set the tw option to 80, but it seems like the auto wrapping only works
in a new vi buffer. When I try to open a txt file and set the tw, it does not
automatically wrap. How do I get the autowrapping functionality to work with
any file type?

Thanks,
Ven

Re: Autowrapping in Txt files

Gary Johnson-4
On 2012-12-12, Ven Tadipatri wrote:
> Hi,
>   I set the tw option to 80, but it seems like the auto wrapping only works
> in a new vi buffer. When I try to open a txt file and set the tw, it does not
> automatically wrap. How do I get the autowrapping functionality to work with
> any file type?

There are two common meanings for the word "wrap" in this context.
One refers to how a long line of text, with only one end-of-line
sequence (LF or CR/LF) at the end, will be displayed when it is too
long to fit on a single line of the screen.  The other refers to the
insertion of end-of-line sequences into text so that the number of
characters between pairs of end-of-line sequences (i.e., the line
length) is limited.

In the first case, Vim wraps long lines only at the right window
boundary.  How it wraps is controlled primarily by the 'wrap',
'linebreak' and 'breakat' options.  The 'tw' option has no effect on
this.

In the second case, the 'tw' option controls when Vim will insert a
newline (the end-of-line sequence used internally) as text is typed
or reformatted using the gq command.  Vim does not automatically
reflow or reformat text when you open a file, nor does it
automatically  reflow or reformat text when you change an option
such as 'tw'.  If you want some lines of text to be limited to a
width of 'tw' or less, you need to reformat them with the gq
command.

This is explained more fully at

    :help usr_25.txt

HTH,
Gary

Re: Autowrapping in Txt files

Benjamin Fritz
On Wednesday, December 12, 2012 10:07:05 AM UTC-6, Gary Johnson wrote:

> In the second case, the 'tw' option controls when Vim will insert a
>
> newline (the end-of-line sequence used internally) as text is typed
>
> or reformatted using the gq command.  Vim does not automatically
>
> reflow or reformat text when you open a file, nor does it
>
> automatically  reflow or reformat text when you change an option
>
> such as 'tw'.  If you want some lines of text to be limited to a
>
> width of 'tw' or less, you need to reformat them with the gq
>
> command.

But it can reformat as you type. See :help 'formatoptions'.