BackUp files.

R. shankar
Hi,
   I am working in Linux 6.0
   How do I know, a variable is set or not ?
   For example, there is a variable called "backup".
   How do I know that the "backup" is on or off.

   I tried
     :verbose set backup
   It does not give any answer.

Regards,
shankar

Re: BackUp files.

Altukhou Yury
Hello R.,
           try
           :set backup?
           or
           :echo &backup

           and
           :h :set

Rs> Hi,
Rs>    I am working in Linux 6.0
Rs>    How do I know, a variable is set or not ?
Rs>    For example, there is a variable called "backup".
Rs>    How do I know that the "backup" is on or off.

Rs>    I tried
Rs>      :verbose set backup
Rs>    It does not give any answer.

Rs> Regards,
Rs> shankar

 Wind                            mailto:[hidden email]

Re: BackUp files.

R. shankar wrote:

> Hi,
>    I am working in Linux 6.0
>    How do I know, a variable is set or not ?
>    For example, there is a variable called "backup".
>    How do I know that the "backup" is on or off.
>
>    I tried
>      :verbose set backup
>    It does not give any answer.
>
> Regards,
> shankar

A variable or an option?

To test the 'backup' option, use

        :verbose set backup?

The question mark is important because 'backup' is a boolean option.
Without the question mark, you set the option to TRUE.

If you have a user-set variable named "backup", use

        :let backup

If the variable is unset (doesn't exist) you'll get an error:

        E121: Undefined variable: backup