Background streaking

Phil Dobbin
Hi all.

I have an annoying problem with the way Vim displays in Gnome terminal.
Attached is a screenshot that describes the problem much better than I
can. It's always been this way & I've only now decided to try to do
something about it. What I'd like to have is a solid background with no
hint of the underlying terminal.

Details:

Vim 8.1305 Huge version with GTK2 Python colorscheme monokai, Gnome
terminal, tmux 2.1, byobu 5.122, Ubuntu 16.04.3

I've Googled extensively but I've found it difficult to express the
problem succinctly enough to get an adequate result. Any help would be
greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

  Phil.

--
The sun shone, having no alternative, on the nothing new
   Murphy by Samuel Beckett

https://www.linuxcounter.net/cert/550036.png

VimStreaky.png (240K) Download Attachment

Re: Background streaking

Phil Dobbin
On 17/11/17 12:32, I wrote:

> I have an annoying problem with the way Vim displays in Gnome terminal.
> Attached is a screenshot that describes the problem much better than I
> can. It's always been this way & I've only now decided to try to do
> something about it. What I'd like to have is a solid background with no
> hint of the underlying terminal.
>
> Details:
>
> Vim 8.1305 Huge version with GTK2 Python colorscheme monokai, Gnome
> terminal, tmux 2.1, byobu 5.122, Ubuntu 16.04.3
>
> I've Googled extensively but I've found it difficult to express the
> problem succinctly enough to get an adequate result. Any help would be
> greatly appreciated.

I posted this a while back. Has nobody come across this?

Cheers,

  Phil.

--
The sun shone, having no alternative, on the nothing new
   Murphy by Samuel Beckett

https://www.linuxcounter.net/cert/550036.png

VimStreaky.png (240K) Download Attachment

Re: Background streaking

Christian Brabandt

On Di, 21 Nov 2017, Phil Dobbin wrote:

> On 17/11/17 12:32, I wrote:
>
> > I have an annoying problem with the way Vim displays in Gnome terminal.
> > Attached is a screenshot that describes the problem much better than I
> > can. It's always been this way & I've only now decided to try to do
> > something about it. What I'd like to have is a solid background with no
> > hint of the underlying terminal.
> >
> > Details:
> >
> > Vim 8.1305 Huge version with GTK2 Python colorscheme monokai, Gnome
> > terminal, tmux 2.1, byobu 5.122, Ubuntu 16.04.3
> >
> > I've Googled extensively but I've found it difficult to express the
> > problem succinctly enough to get an adequate result. Any help would be
> > greatly appreciated.
> >

> I posted this a while back. Has nobody come across this?

Looks like you need background color erase. This needs to be fixed in
your terminal. Make sure the $TERM is set correctly. I think for screen
one needs `defbce on` not sure if tmux has its own setting for that.

Anyway for tmux, make sure you have set your $TERM setting correctly. It
should be either tmux or screen-256color

As a workaround for Vim you can set the t_ut to empty. I have this in my
vimrc for a similar reason

if !empty(&t_ut)
  " see http://snk.tuxfamily.org/log/vim-256color-bce.html
  let &t_ut=''
endif

Christian
--
Es ist eine eigene Sache, schon durch die Geburt auf einen erhabenen
Platz in der menschlichen Gesellschaft gesetzt zu sein.

Re: Background streaking

Phil Dobbin
On 21/11/17 10:46, Christian Brabandt wrote:

> On Di, 21 Nov 2017, Phil Dobbin wrote:
>
>> On 17/11/17 12:32, I wrote:
>>
>>> I have an annoying problem with the way Vim displays in Gnome terminal.
>>> Attached is a screenshot that describes the problem much better than I
>>> can. It's always been this way & I've only now decided to try to do
>>> something about it. What I'd like to have is a solid background with no
>>> hint of the underlying terminal.
>>>
>>> Details:
>>>
>>> Vim 8.1305 Huge version with GTK2 Python colorscheme monokai, Gnome
>>> terminal, tmux 2.1, byobu 5.122, Ubuntu 16.04.3
>>>
>>> I've Googled extensively but I've found it difficult to express the
>>> problem succinctly enough to get an adequate result. Any help would be
>>> greatly appreciated.
>>>

>> I posted this a while back. Has nobody come across this?
>
> Looks like you need background color erase. This needs to be fixed in
> your terminal. Make sure the $TERM is set correctly. I think for screen
> one needs `defbce on` not sure if tmux has its own setting for that.
>
> Anyway for tmux, make sure you have set your $TERM setting correctly. It
> should be either tmux or screen-256color
>
> As a workaround for Vim you can set the t_ut to empty. I have this in my
> vimrc for a similar reason
>
> if !empty(&t_ut)
>   " see http://snk.tuxfamily.org/log/vim-256color-bce.html
>   let &t_ut=''
> endif
Hi Christian.

your vimrc addition works perfectly :-)

Thank you very much.

Cheers,

  Phil.

--
The sun shone, having no alternative, on the nothing new
   Murphy by Samuel Beckett

https://www.linuxcounter.net/cert/550036.png

Re: Background streaking

Marcin Szamotulski
On 11:23 Tue 21 Nov     , Phil Dobbin wrote:

> On 21/11/17 10:46, Christian Brabandt wrote:

> >> I posted this a while back. Has nobody come across this?
> >
> > Looks like you need background color erase. This needs to be fixed in
> > your terminal. Make sure the $TERM is set correctly. I think for screen
> > one needs `defbce on` not sure if tmux has its own setting for that.
> >
> > Anyway for tmux, make sure you have set your $TERM setting correctly. It
> > should be either tmux or screen-256color
> >
> > As a workaround for Vim you can set the t_ut to empty. I have this in my
> > vimrc for a similar reason
> >
> > if !empty(&t_ut)
> >   " see http://snk.tuxfamily.org/log/vim-256color-bce.html
> >   let &t_ut=''