Backup files and long filenames

A. Wik
Hi all,

I've noticed that Vim does not, when running in plain DOS, find the backup files it created with long filenames when running under Win98.

Is there a solution?

Regards,
Albert.

Re: Backup files and long filenames

Ottavio Caruso
On Thu, 17 Sep 2020 at 08:57, A. Wik <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I've noticed that Vim does not, when running in plain DOS, find the backup files it created with long filenames when running under Win98.
>
> Is there a solution?

Probably not, because Win98 and Dos (which version?) use two different
implementations of FAT.

--
Ottavio Caruso

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
A: Top-posting.

On Thu, 17 Sep 2020 at 13:35, 'Ottavio Caruso' via vim_use <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Thu, 17 Sep 2020 at 08:57, A. Wik <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I've noticed that Vim does not, when running in plain DOS, find the backup files it created with long filenames when running under Win98.
>
> Is there a solution?

Probably not, because Win98 and Dos (which version?) use two different
implementations of FAT.

I know that much.  Version is MS-DOS 7.10 -- the version that comes with Win98SE.

I was thinking maybe there was a way to make Vim use short (8.3) filenames for backup files.

-aw