Bad installation problem

Sean E. Russell-2
... or, I suspect that it is a bad installation problem.

After using VO 3.3 at work, happily, for a few weeks, I've installed a newer
version (3.4) at home.  At first, I couldn't get it to recognize .otl files,
so I tried to force it with syntax and filetype commands; finally, I tried:

        :setfiletype vo_base

and received this in response:

        Error detected while processing /usr/share/vim/vimfiles/ftplugin/vo_base.vim:
        line  664:
        E121: Undefined variable: g:vo_modules_load
        E15: Invalid expression:  g:vo_modules_load . ':'
        line  665:
        E121: Undefined variable: s:tmp
        E116: Invalid arguments for function stridx(s:tmp, ':')
        E15: Invalid expression:  stridx(s:tmp, ':')
        line  667:
        E121: Undefined variable: s:idx
        E15: Invalid expression: (s:idx != -1)

So, I grepped for vo_modules_load in:

        /usr/share/vim/vimfiles/vimoutliner/plugins
        /usr/share/vim/vimfiles/syntax
        /usr/share/vim/vimfiles/ftplugin
        /usr/share/vim/vimfiles/ftdetect

and couldn't find it.  Is 3.4 broken, or am I missing something?

Thanks.

--
--- SER

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents,
more and more closely, the inner soul of the people.  On some
great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach
their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned
by a downright moron."        -  H.L. Mencken (1880 - 1956)

Re: Bad installation problem

Steve Litt
On Sunday 22 January 2006 12:10 pm, Sean E. Russell wrote:

> ... or, I suspect that it is a bad installation problem.
>
> After using VO 3.3 at work, happily, for a few weeks, I've installed a
> newer version (3.4) at home.  At first, I couldn't get it to recognize .otl
> files,
>
> so I tried to force it with syntax and filetype commands; finally, I tried:
> :setfiletype vo_base
>
> and received this in response:
>
> Error detected while processing
> /usr/share/vim/vimfiles/ftplugin/vo_base.vim: line  664:
> E121: Undefined variable: g:vo_modules_load
> E15: Invalid expression:  g:vo_modules_load . ':'
> line  665:
> E121: Undefined variable: s:tmp
> E116: Invalid arguments for function stridx(s:tmp, ':')
> E15: Invalid expression:  stridx(s:tmp, ':')
> line  667:
> E121: Undefined variable: s:idx
> E15: Invalid expression: (s:idx != -1)
>
> So, I grepped for vo_modules_load in:
>
> /usr/share/vim/vimfiles/vimoutliner/plugins
> /usr/share/vim/vimfiles/syntax
> /usr/share/vim/vimfiles/ftplugin
> /usr/share/vim/vimfiles/ftdetect
>
> and couldn't find it.  Is 3.4 broken, or am I missing something?
>
> Thanks.

Hi Sean,

3.4 works perfectly for me on Mandriva 2006 Linux, so 3.4 either works or at
least it works some of the time. I installed it with the installer script and
it worked first crack out of the box.

If you're using Linux, I'd suggest you back up .vimrc, .vimoutlinerrc, .vim/,
and .vimoutliner/, remove those directories, and use the installer. Either VO
works perfectly or it doesn't. If it does, you can put back files until you
find the one that "broke" it, and report back. We'll be grateful.

If the fresh install doesn't work, we'll have a very known state to work with.

If you're using Windows, someone knowledgeable in VO for Windows needs to help
you, because I've never used VO on Windows.

I know this isn't what you wanted to hear, but with any luck it will quickly
get you on the road to  flawless VO productivity.

HTH

SteveT

On Sunday 22 January 2006 15:29, Steve Litt wrote:
> If you're using Linux, I'd suggest you back up .vimrc, .vimoutlinerrc,
> .vim/, and .vimoutliner/, remove those directories, and use the installer.

I'm trying to install VO globally, not locally.  It does work when I install
it in ~, but not when I install it system-wide.  Is VO not intended to be
installed system-wide?

> If you're using Windows, someone knowledgeable in VO for Windows needs to
> help you, because I've never used VO on Windows.

Nope.  Linux.

Thanks for the response.

--
--- SER

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents,
more and more closely, the inner soul of the people.  On some
great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach
their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned
by a downright moron."        -  H.L. Mencken (1880 - 1956)

Re: Bad installation problem

Matej Cepl-2
Sean E. Russell wrote:
> I'm trying to install VO globally, not locally.  It does work when I
> install
> it in ~, but not when I install it system-wide.  Is VO not intended to be
> installed system-wide?

Which distributions -- for Debian there are packages (maintained by me :-)
which install system-wide (of course).

Matej

GPG Finger: 89EF 4BC6 288A BF43 1BAB  25C3 E09F EF25 D964 84AC

There is the story of a pastor who got up one Sunday and
announced to his congregation: "I have good news and bad news.
The good news is, we have enough money to pay for our new
building program. The bad news is, it's still out there in your
pockets."
      -- innocent Subject line of very non-innocent spam

Re: Bad installation problem

Peter Princz
On 22/01/06, Sean E. Russell <[hidden email]> wrote:
> ... or, I suspect that it is a bad installation problem.
>
> After using VO 3.3 at work, happily, for a few weeks, I've installed a newer
> version (3.4) at home.

Sorry for being unable to provide help this time, I just have a rather
stupid question to be on the safe side: am I missing subsequent VO
releases, or 3.3 and 3.4 above are actually 0.3.3 and 0.3.4? Couldn't
find anything newer on the VO website, incl. the experimental area...

Just confirm please and sorry again,
  Peter

--
Keep cool. Develop in total darkness.

On Wednesday 25 January 2006 11:04, Peter Princz wrote:
> Sorry for being unable to provide help this time, I just have a rather
> stupid question to be on the safe side: am I missing subsequent VO
> releases, or 3.3 and 3.4 above are actually 0.3.3 and 0.3.4? Couldn't
> find anything newer on the VO website, incl. the experimental area...
>
> Just confirm please and sorry again,

Sorry for the lag.  Busy week.

No, I just posted this email to the wrong time-continuum.

You're right, of course.  I dropped a 0.  Sorry about the confusion.