Quantcast

Balloon-eval supported or not?

Yongwei Wu
Hi Björn et al.,

Does MacVim support Balloon-eval now? I found an 2008 post said it did
not support it then, but not much info after. I first tried Snapshot
66 for Lion, and then I built it myself. Both show +balloon_eval, but
a plugin that depends on it does not work (echofunc, script #1735). I
traced it, and found the balloonexpr is valid--but nothing is shown.

My configuration command line is (using Xcode 4.6.1 on OS X 10.7.5):

CC='clang' ./configure --with-features=huge --enable-pythoninterp
--enable-rubyinterp --enable-perlinterp

Any help is appreciated.

Best regards,

Yongwei

--
Wu Yongwei

Re: Balloon-eval supported or not?

Björn Winckler
On Sun, Mar 24, 2013 at 1:32 PM, Yongwei Wu wrote:

> Does MacVim support Balloon-eval now? I found an 2008 post said it did
> not support it then, but not much info after. I first tried Snapshot
> 66 for Lion, and then I built it myself. Both show +balloon_eval, but
> a plugin that depends on it does not work (echofunc, script #1735). I
> traced it, and found the balloonexpr is valid--but nothing is shown.

Ballon eval has been supported for several years now, so it sounds
like a problem with the plugin or your local settings.  There is an
example under ":h 'bexpr" that lets you see if ballon eval is working
as expected:

function! MyBalloonExpr()
    return 'Cursor is at line ' . v:beval_lnum .
            \', column ' . v:beval_col .
            \ ' of file ' .  bufname(v:beval_bufnr) .
            \ ' on word "' . v:beval_text . '"'
endfunction
set bexpr=MyBalloonExpr()
set ballooneval

Save that to a text file (e.g. "beval.vim") and source it (":so
beval.vim") -- this should cause a balloon to pop up showing the word
under the cursor.  It works as expected for me.

Björn

On 29 March 2013 04:16, björn <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sun, Mar 24, 2013 at 1:32 PM, Yongwei Wu wrote:
>>
>> Does MacVim support Balloon-eval now? I found an 2008 post said it did
>> not support it then, but not much info after. I first tried Snapshot
>> 66 for Lion, and then I built it myself. Both show +balloon_eval, but
>> a plugin that depends on it does not work (echofunc, script #1735). I
>> traced it, and found the balloonexpr is valid--but nothing is shown.
>
> Ballon eval has been supported for several years now, so it sounds
> like a problem with the plugin or your local settings.  There is an
> example under ":h 'bexpr" that lets you see if ballon eval is working
> as expected:
>
> function! MyBalloonExpr()
>     return 'Cursor is at line ' . v:beval_lnum .
>             \', column ' . v:beval_col .
>             \ ' of file ' .  bufname(v:beval_bufnr) .
>             \ ' on word "' . v:beval_text . '"'
> endfunction
> set bexpr=MyBalloonExpr()
> set ballooneval
>
> Save that to a text file (e.g. "beval.vim") and source it (":so
> beval.vim") -- this should cause a balloon to pop up showing the word
> under the cursor.  It works as expected for me.
>
> Björn

Hi Björn,

I had tried this before sending the previous message. Nothing showed up.

If it works for you, can you see anything wrong in my configuration
(using Xcode 4.6.1 on OS X 10.7.5)?

$ clang -v
Apple LLVM version 4.2 (clang-425.0.27) (based on LLVM 3.2svn)
Target: x86_64-apple-darwin11.4.2
Thread model: posix

On Sat, Mar 30, 2013 at 1:01 PM, Yongwei Wu wrote:

> If it works for you, can you see anything wrong in my configuration
> (using Xcode 4.6.1 on OS X 10.7.5)?
>
> $ clang -v
> Apple LLVM version 4.2 (clang-425.0.27) (based on LLVM 3.2svn)
> Target: x86_64-apple-darwin11.4.2
> Thread model: posix
> $ CC='clang' ./configure --with-features=huge --enable-pythoninterp
> --enable-rubyinterp --enable-perlinterp

I don't see anything strange there.  Maybe you should try with a
prebuild binary from the MacVim Google code site.

Also, I guess you may already have tried, but move your local config
files (.vim folder, .vimrc/.gvimrc files) out of the way before trying
again.

Björn

On 30 March 2013 23:37, björn <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sat, Mar 30, 2013 at 1:01 PM, Yongwei Wu wrote:
> >
> > If it works for you, can you see anything wrong in my configuration
> > (using Xcode 4.6.1 on OS X 10.7.5)?
> >
> > $ clang -v
> > Apple LLVM version 4.2 (clang-425.0.27) (based on LLVM 3.2svn)
> > Target: x86_64-apple-darwin11.4.2
> > Thread model: posix
> > $ CC='clang' ./configure --with-features=huge --enable-pythoninterp
> > --enable-rubyinterp --enable-perlinterp
>
> I don't see anything strange there.  Maybe you should try with a
> prebuild binary from the MacVim Google code site.

I used Douglas's snapshot 66 build in the beginning. I tried it today
on both Lion and Snow Leopard. But see below.

> Also, I guess you may already have tried, but move your local config
> files (.vim folder, .vimrc/.gvimrc files) out of the way before trying
> again.

I tried it today. I tried "mvim -u NONE" before (followed by ":set
nocompatible"). All the same.

HOWEVER, it worked when I switched to another person's account on the
same MacBook. So it must be some of my personal settings that
interfered. I just cannot figure out which one and why :-(.

If you or somebody else here has an idea what might be happening,
please tell me. Otherwise I may have to let it be.

Best regards,

Yongwei

On Sun, Mar 31, 2013 at 11:34 AM, Yongwei Wu wrote:

> I tried it today. I tried "mvim -u NONE" before (followed by ":set
> nocompatible"). All the same.
>
> HOWEVER, it worked when I switched to another person's account on the
> same MacBook. So it must be some of my personal settings that
> interfered. I just cannot figure out which one and why :-(.
>
> If you or somebody else here has an idea what might be happening,
> please tell me. Otherwise I may have to let it be.

Some thoughts:

- Have you tried using bash (in case you are using another shell)?

- Have you tried moving .bashrc, .profile, and related files out of the way?

- Have you tried moving .vim/.vimrc/.gvimrc out of the way and started
MacVim by clicking its icon in Finder (make sure you've quit MacVim
completely first)?

Björn

On 31 March 2013 19:58, björn <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> HOWEVER, it worked when I switched to another person's account on the
>> same MacBook. So it must be some of my personal settings that
>> interfered. I just cannot figure out which one and why :-(.
>>
>> If you or somebody else here has an idea what might be happening,
>> please tell me. Otherwise I may have to let it be.
>
> Some thoughts:
>
> - Have you tried using bash (in case you are using another shell)?
>
> - Have you tried moving .bashrc, .profile, and related files out of the way?
>
> - Have you tried moving .vim/.vimrc/.gvimrc out of the way and started
> MacVim by clicking its icon in Finder (make sure you've quit MacVim
> completely first)?

I am using bash. It doesn't seem to be related with any of the above....

--
Wu Yongwei

Re: Balloon-eval supported or not?

Douglas Drumond

> > I don't see anything strange there.  Maybe you should try with a
> > prebuild binary from the MacVim Google code site.
>

> I used Douglas's snapshot 66 build in the beginning. I tried it today
> on both Lion and Snow Leopard. But see below.

I'll try this at home and see if I get the error. I'll come back later.

--
Douglas Drumond
http://drumond19.com

Re: Balloon-eval supported or not?

Yongwei Wu
I rechecked the
​balloon tip not showing up ​
issue
​,​
and found the solution. It was actually quite simple: r
​m​
~/Library/Preferences/org.vim.MacVim.plist
​. Further
​ investigation showed that the problem was actually in the "Use Core Text renderer" setting. When it is disabled, balloon eval stops working. I preferred disabling it in order to use the three-finger tap.

FYI, in case anybody encounters the same issue.