Quantcast

Building gvim

12

Building gvim

statquant2
Hi guys,
I inderstood that downloading vim would enable me to build gvim mentioning some options in the make.
However I can't make it.
Could one of you help me ?

Cheers

Re: Building gvim

MarcWeber
Excerpts from statquant2's message of Sat Nov 06 12:13:44 +0100 2010:

> Hi guys,
> I inderstood that downloading vim would enable me to build gvim mentioning
> some options in the make.
> However I can't make it.
> Could one of you help me ?

Try this:
./configure --enable-gui=auto  &> log.txt

paste the output of
grep gtk log.txt

which should tell you why gtk gui libraries were found or not.
If you still have trouble paste that output or upload log.txt somewhere

Marc Weber

Re: Building gvim

statquant2
Hi Marc thanks for replying
Here is the grep : checking --disable-gtktest argument... gtk test enabled

I run make and it built a vim in /src but ./vim -g tells me E25: GUI cannot be used: Not enabled at compile time

Hope this tells you something

Colin

Re: Building gvim

statquant2
I paste the log ... you never know...

configure: creating cache auto/config.cache
checking for gcc... gcc
checking for suffix of executables...
checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
checking for egrep... /bin/grep -E
checking for library containing strerror... none required
checking for gawk... gawk
checking for strip... strip
checking for ANSI C header files... yes
checking for sys/wait.h that is POSIX.1 compatible... yes
configure: checking for buggy tools...
- sed is 'GNU sed version 4.2.1
This is free software; see the source for copying conditions.  There is NO
warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE,
to the extent permitted by law.

GNU sed home page: <http://www.gnu.org/software/sed/>.
General help using GNU software: <http://www.gnu.org/gethelp/>.
E-mail bug reports to: <bug-gnu-utils@gnu.org>.
Be sure to include the word ``sed'' somewhere in the ``Subject:'' field.'.
checking for BeOS... no
checking for QNX... no
checking for Darwin (Mac OS X)... no
checking --with-local-dir argument... Defaulting to /usr/local
checking --with-vim-name argument... Defaulting to vim
checking --with-ex-name argument... Defaulting to ex
checking --with-view-name argument... Defaulting to view
checking --with-global-runtime argument... no
checking --with-modified-by argument... no
checking if character set is EBCDIC... no
checking --disable-selinux argument... no
checking for is_selinux_enabled in -lselinux... no
checking --with-features argument... Defaulting to normal
checking --with-compiledby argument... no
checking --disable-xsmp argument... no
checking --disable-xsmp-interact argument... no
checking --enable-luainterp argument... no
checking --enable-mzschemeinterp argument... no
checking --enable-perlinterp argument... no
checking --enable-pythoninterp argument... no
checking --enable-python3interp argument... no
checking --enable-tclinterp argument... no
checking --enable-rubyinterp argument... no
checking --enable-cscope argument... no
checking --enable-workshop argument... no
checking --disable-netbeans argument... no
checking for socket in -lsocket... no
checking for gethostbyname in -lnsl... yes
checking whether compiling netbeans integration is possible... yes
checking --enable-sniff argument... no
checking --enable-multibyte argument... no
checking --enable-hangulinput argument... no
checking --enable-xim argument... defaulting to auto
checking --enable-fontset argument... no
checking for xmkmf... no
checking for X... libraries , headers
checking for gethostbyname... yes
checking for connect... yes
checking for remove... yes
checking for shmat... yes
checking for IceConnectionNumber in -lICE... yes
checking if X11 header files can be found... yes
checking for _XdmcpAuthDoIt in -lXdmcp... yes
checking for IceOpenConnection in -lICE... yes
checking for XpmCreatePixmapFromData in -lXpm... no
checking if X11 header files implicitly declare return values... no
checking size of wchar_t is 2 bytes... no
checking --enable-gui argument... yes/auto - automatic GUI support
checking whether or not to look for GTK+ 2... yes
checking whether or not to look for GNOME... no
checking whether or not to look for Motif... yes
checking whether or not to look for Athena... yes
checking whether or not to look for neXtaw... yes
checking whether or not to look for Carbon... yes
checking --disable-gtktest argument... gtk test enabled
checking for GTK - version >= 2.2.0... no
checking for location of Motif GUI includes... <not found>
checking if Athena header files can be found... no
checking if neXtaw header files can be found... no
checking X11/SM/SMlib.h usability... yes
checking X11/SM/SMlib.h presence... yes
checking for X11/SM/SMlib.h... yes
checking X11/xpm.h usability... no
checking X11/xpm.h presence... no
checking for X11/xpm.h... no
checking X11/Sunkeysym.h usability... yes
checking X11/Sunkeysym.h presence... yes
checking for X11/Sunkeysym.h... yes
checking for XIMText in X11/Xlib.h... yes
checking whether toupper is broken... no
checking whether __DATE__ and __TIME__ work... yes
checking whether __attribute__((unused)) is allowed... yes
checking elf.h usability... yes
checking elf.h presence... yes
checking for elf.h... yes
checking for main in -lelf... no
checking for dirent.h that defines DIR... yes
checking for library containing opendir... none required
checking stdarg.h usability... yes
checking stdarg.h presence... yes
checking for stdarg.h... yes
checking stdint.h usability... yes
checking stdint.h presence... yes
checking for stdint.h... yes
checking stdlib.h usability... yes
checking stdlib.h presence... yes
checking for stdlib.h... yes
checking string.h usability... yes
checking string.h presence... yes
checking for string.h... yes
checking sys/select.h usability... yes
checking sys/select.h presence... yes
checking for sys/select.h... yes
checking sys/utsname.h usability... yes
checking sys/utsname.h presence... yes
checking for sys/utsname.h... yes
checking termcap.h usability... yes
checking termcap.h presence... yes
checking for termcap.h... yes
checking fcntl.h usability... yes
checking fcntl.h presence... yes
checking for fcntl.h... yes
checking sgtty.h usability... yes
checking sgtty.h presence... yes
checking for sgtty.h... yes
checking sys/ioctl.h usability... yes
checking sys/ioctl.h presence... yes
checking for sys/ioctl.h... yes
checking sys/time.h usability... yes
checking sys/time.h presence... yes
checking for sys/time.h... yes
checking sys/types.h usability... yes
checking sys/types.h presence... yes
checking for sys/types.h... yes
checking termio.h usability... yes
checking termio.h presence... yes
checking for termio.h... yes
checking iconv.h usability... yes
checking iconv.h presence... yes
checking for iconv.h... yes
checking inttypes.h usability... yes
checking inttypes.h presence... yes
checking for inttypes.h... yes
checking langinfo.h usability... yes
checking langinfo.h presence... yes
checking for langinfo.h... yes
checking math.h usability... yes
checking math.h presence... yes
checking for math.h... yes
checking unistd.h usability... yes
checking unistd.h presence... yes
checking for unistd.h... yes
checking stropts.h usability... yes
checking stropts.h presence... yes
checking for stropts.h... yes
checking errno.h usability... yes
checking errno.h presence... yes
checking for errno.h... yes
checking sys/resource.h usability... yes
checking sys/resource.h presence... yes
checking for sys/resource.h... yes
checking sys/systeminfo.h usability... no
checking sys/systeminfo.h presence... no
checking for sys/systeminfo.h... no
checking locale.h usability... yes
checking locale.h presence... yes
checking for locale.h... yes
checking sys/stream.h usability... no
checking sys/stream.h presence... no
checking for sys/stream.h... no
checking termios.h usability... yes
checking termios.h presence... yes
checking for termios.h... yes
checking libc.h usability... no
checking libc.h presence... no
checking for libc.h... no
checking sys/statfs.h usability... yes
checking sys/statfs.h presence... yes
checking for sys/statfs.h... yes
checking poll.h usability... yes
checking poll.h presence... yes
checking for poll.h... yes
checking sys/poll.h usability... yes
checking sys/poll.h presence... yes
checking for sys/poll.h... yes
checking pwd.h usability... yes
checking pwd.h presence... yes
checking for pwd.h... yes
checking utime.h usability... yes
checking utime.h presence... yes
checking for utime.h... yes
checking sys/param.h usability... yes
checking sys/param.h presence... yes
checking for sys/param.h... yes
checking libintl.h usability... yes
checking libintl.h presence... yes
checking for libintl.h... yes
checking libgen.h usability... yes
checking libgen.h presence... yes
checking for libgen.h... yes
checking util/debug.h usability... no
checking util/debug.h presence... no
checking for util/debug.h... no
checking util/msg18n.h usability... no
checking util/msg18n.h presence... no
checking for util/msg18n.h... no
checking frame.h usability... no
checking frame.h presence... no
checking for frame.h... no
checking sys/acl.h usability... no
checking sys/acl.h presence... no
checking for sys/acl.h... no
checking sys/access.h usability... no
checking sys/access.h presence... no
checking for sys/access.h... no
checking sys/sysinfo.h usability... yes
checking sys/sysinfo.h presence... yes
checking for sys/sysinfo.h... yes
checking wchar.h usability... yes
checking wchar.h presence... yes
checking for wchar.h... yes
checking wctype.h usability... yes
checking wctype.h presence... yes
checking for wctype.h... yes
checking for sys/ptem.h... no
checking for sys/sysctl.h... yes
checking for pthread_np.h... no
checking strings.h usability... yes
checking strings.h presence... yes
checking for strings.h... yes
checking if strings.h can be included after string.h... yes
checking whether gcc needs -traditional... no
checking for working volatile... yes
checking for mode_t... yes
checking for off_t... yes
checking for pid_t... yes
checking for size_t... yes
checking for uid_t in sys/types.h... yes
checking for uint32_t... yes
checking whether time.h and sys/time.h may both be included... yes
checking for ino_t... yes
checking for dev_t... yes
checking whether byte ordering is bigendian... no
checking for rlim_t... yes
checking for stack_t... yes
checking whether stack_t has an ss_base field... no
checking --with-tlib argument... empty: automatic terminal library selection
checking for tgetent in -lncurses... yes
checking whether we talk terminfo... yes
checking what tgetent() returns for an unknown terminal... zero
checking whether termcap.h contains ospeed... yes
checking whether termcap.h contains UP, BC and PC... yes
checking whether tputs() uses outfuntype... no
checking whether sys/select.h and sys/time.h may both be included... yes
checking for /dev/ptc... no
checking for SVR4 ptys... yes
checking for ptyranges... don't know
checking default tty permissions/group... can't determine - assume ptys are world accessible
world
checking return type of signal handlers... void
checking for struct sigcontext... yes
checking getcwd implementation is broken... no
checking for bcmp... yes
checking for fchdir... yes
checking for fchown... yes
checking for fsync... yes
checking for getcwd... yes
checking for getpseudotty... no
checking for getpwnam... yes
checking for getpwuid... yes
checking for getrlimit... yes
checking for gettimeofday... yes
checking for getwd... yes
checking for lstat... yes
checking for memcmp... yes
checking for memset... yes
checking for mkdtemp... yes
checking for nanosleep... yes
checking for opendir... yes
checking for putenv... yes
checking for qsort... yes
checking for readlink... yes
checking for select... yes
checking for setenv... yes
checking for setpgid... yes
checking for setsid... yes
checking for sigaltstack... yes
checking for sigstack... yes
checking for sigset... yes
checking for sigsetjmp... no
checking for sigaction... yes
checking for sigvec... yes
checking for strcasecmp... yes
checking for strerror... yes
checking for strftime... yes
checking for stricmp... no
checking for strncasecmp... yes
checking for strnicmp... no
checking for strpbrk... yes
checking for strtol... yes
checking for tgetent... yes
checking for towlower... yes
checking for towupper... yes
checking for iswupper... yes
checking for usleep... yes
checking for utime... yes
checking for utimes... yes
checking for _LARGEFILE_SOURCE value needed for large files... no
checking for special C compiler options needed for large files... no
checking for _FILE_OFFSET_BITS value needed for large files... no
checking for st_blksize... yes
checking whether stat() ignores a trailing slash... no
checking for iconv_open()... yes
checking for nl_langinfo(CODESET)... yes
checking for strtod in -lm... yes
checking for strtod() and other floating point functions... yes
checking --disable-acl argument... no
checking for acl_get_file in -lposix1e... no
checking for acl_get_file in -lacl... no
checking for POSIX ACL support... no
checking for Solaris ACL support... no
checking for AIX ACL support... no
checking --disable-gpm argument... no
checking for gpm... no
checking --disable-sysmouse argument... no
checking for sysmouse... no
checking for FD_CLOEXEC... yes
checking for rename... yes
checking for sysctl... not usable
checking for sysinfo... yes
checking for sysinfo.mem_unit... yes
checking for sysconf... yes
checking size of int... 4
checking size of long... 8
checking size of time_t... 8
checking size of off_t... 8
checking uint32_t is 32 bits... ok
checking whether memmove handles overlaps... yes
checking for _xpg4_setrunelocale in -lxpg4... no
checking how to create tags... ctags -t
checking how to run man with a section nr... man -s
checking --disable-nls argument... no
checking for msgfmt... no
checking for NLS... msgfmt not found - disabled
checking dlfcn.h usability... yes
checking dlfcn.h presence... yes
checking for dlfcn.h... yes
checking for dlopen()... yes
checking for dlsym()... yes
checking setjmp.h usability... yes
checking setjmp.h presence... yes
checking for setjmp.h... yes
checking for GCC 3 or later... yes
checking whether we need -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=1... yes
configure: updating cache auto/config.cache
configure: creating auto/config.status
config.status: creating auto/config.mk
config.status: creating auto/config.h

Re: Building gvim

Ivan Sichmann Freitas
On Sat, Nov 6, 2010 at 9:13 AM, statquant2 <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi guys,
> I inderstood that downloading vim would enable me to build gvim mentioning
> some options in the make.
> However I can't make it.
> Could one of you help me ?

Could you specify a little more? What is the dificulty: the process,
the options... ?

> Cheers

Ivan Sichmann Freitas
Engenharia de Computação 2009
UNICAMP
http://identi.ca/ivansichmann
Grupo Pró Software Livre UNICAMP - GPSL

Re: Building gvim

statquant2
Hello, sorry of being unclear, to be honnest I don't really understand what is happenning...

Basically I downloaded vim 7.3 sources. I ./configure then ./make, this create the binary vim in the /src and usually gvim can be launch by entering the command vim -g.
But this doesn't work.
Then I tryed to configure using the enable-gui options, but once again the vim generated in /src doesn't let me use vim-g.

That's all I know... as you see not too far.

Thanks for taking the time to read and help...

Re: Building gvim

Ivan Sichmann Freitas
On Sat, Nov 6, 2010 at 10:33 AM, statquant2 <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I paste the log ... you never know...

Next time use pastebin, please.

> checking --enable-luainterp argument... no
> checking --enable-mzschemeinterp argument... no
> checking --enable-perlinterp argument... no
> checking --enable-pythoninterp argument... no
> checking --enable-python3interp argument... no
> checking --enable-tclinterp argument... no
> checking --enable-rubyinterp argument... no
> checking --enable-cscope argument... no
> checking --enable-workshop argument... no
> checking --disable-netbeans argument... no

Well, you should give a better look at these options. They may be
useful with you want to develop in some languages and for using some
scripts.

> checking for GTK - version >= 2.2.0... no

Seems you don't have gtk (at least not the required version). That's
why the gui is failing. Install gtk and then run configure and make
again.

Also, I recommend you look at the configure options of the vim
packages for some linux distribuitions (or even windows, mac etc.).
Those configurations may guide your compilantion. And, if you want a
fully featured vim build, make sure to use --with-features=huge.

Ivan Sichmann Freitas
Engenharia de Computação 2009
UNICAMP
http://identi.ca/ivansichmann
Grupo Pró Software Livre UNICAMP - GPSL

Re: Building gvim

MarcWeber
Excerpts from statquant2's message of Sat Nov 06 13:33:20 +0100 2010:

> I paste the log ... you never know...

checking --enable-gui argument... yes/auto - automatic GUI support
checking whether or not to look for GTK+ 2... yes
checking whether or not to look for GNOME... no
checking whether or not to look for Motif... yes
checking whether or not to look for Athena... yes
checking whether or not to look for neXtaw... yes
checking whether or not to look for Carbon... yes
checking --disable-gtktest argument... gtk test enabled
checking for GTK - version >= 2.2.0... no                 <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
checking for location of Motif GUI includes... <not found>
checking if Athena header files can be found... no

You don't have gtk/  gtk headers installed.

Try something like apt-cache search gtk.

Without knowwing about your distro its hard to say what you have to do.

There usually is a config.log le (don't paste. It would be too long)
It'll tell you exactly why the tests failed.

Marc Weber

Re: Building gvim

statquant2
Thanks a lot gyus that is woking fine now !!
I did sudo apt-get install libgtk2.0-dev" and to be on the safe side "sudo apt-get install gnome-core-devel"
Then ./configure --with-features=huge then make then src/vim -g WORKED.

Thanks a lot for help newbys like me.

I just have another quick question. When I do a locate vim I see plenty of files for vim in different locations. Lets suppose I want to uninstall vim, is there a way to see/get all the locations/files vim installed, and then remove them ?
(sorry if the question is silly...)

Thanks again

Re: Building gvim

bill lam
Вск, 07 Ноя 2010, statquant2 писал(а):

> Thanks a lot gyus that is woking fine now !!
> I did sudo apt-get install libgtk2.0-dev" and to be on the safe side "sudo
> apt-get install gnome-core-devel"
> Then ./configure --with-features=huge then make then src/vim -g WORKED.
>
> Thanks a lot for help newbys like me.
>
> I just have another quick question. When I do a locate vim I see plenty of
> files for vim in different locations. Lets suppose I want to uninstall vim,
> is there a way to see/get all the locations/files vim installed, and then
> remove them ?
> (sorry if the question is silly...)
>
> Thanks again

Try 'sudo make uninstall'

untested

--
regards,
GPG key 1024D/4434BAB3 2008-08-24

Re: Building gvim

MarcWeber
Excerpts from statquant2's message of Sun Nov 07 11:44:46 +0100 2010:

> Thanks a lot gyus that is woking fine now !!
> I did sudo apt-get install libgtk2.0-dev" and to be on the safe side "sudo
> apt-get install gnome-core-devel"
> Then ./configure --with-features=huge then make then src/vim -g WORKED.
>
> Thanks a lot for help newbys like me.
>
> I just have another quick question. When I do a locate vim I see plenty of
> files for vim in different locations. Lets suppose I want to uninstall vim,
> is there a way to see/get all the locations/files vim installed, and then
> remove them ?
> (sorry if the question is silly...)

They are not silly.
make uninstall was already mentioned. However it assumes that make
uninstall does what it says ..

There are different ways:
- gentoo (create an ebuild)
- nixpkgs (www.nixos.org) -> everything will be installed to /nix/store
- other packaging solutions.

I mentioned gentoo, nixpkgs here because I'm sure both already contain
build recipes for Vim in some way.

If you use one of those you take care about packaging - the packaging
system will then care about uninstalling.

Marc Weber

Re: Building gvim

Ivan Sichmann Freitas
> They are not silly.
> make uninstall was already mentioned. However it assumes that make
> uninstall does what it says ..
>
> There are different ways:
> - gentoo (create an ebuild)
> - nixpkgs (www.nixos.org) -> everything will be installed to /nix/store
> - other packaging solutions.
>
> I mentioned gentoo, nixpkgs here because I'm sure both already contain
> build recipes for Vim in some way.
>
> If you use one of those you take care about packaging - the packaging
> system will then care about uninstalling.

And since the OP is (apparently) using some distro debian based, I
would recommend checkinstall. It substitutes make install and creates
a debian package instead of installing the files directly.

Ivan Sichmann Freitas
Engenharia de Computação 2009
UNICAMP
http://identi.ca/ivansichmann
Grupo Pró Software Livre UNICAMP - GPSL

Re: Building gvim

John Little-4
On Nov 7, 11:44 pm, statquant2 <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Thanks a lot gyus that is woking fine now !!
> I did sudo apt-get install libgtk2.0-dev" and to be on the safe side "sudo
> apt-get install gnome-core-devel"

Well, if you've got sudo and apt then what you really wanted was

sudo apt-get build-dep vim-gtk

Takes the guesswork out of it.
You didn't say what OS you had, and I had the impression that you
couldn't su, or I would have given the pearl earlier.

Anyone know the yum (or whatever) equivalent for Red Hat derived
distros?  And what to do if sudo is not possible?

Regards, John

Re: Building gvim

Tony Mechelynck
On 08/11/10 05:10, John Little wrote:

> On Nov 7, 11:44 pm, statquant2<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>> Thanks a lot gyus that is woking fine now !!
>> I did sudo apt-get install libgtk2.0-dev" and to be on the safe side "sudo
>> apt-get install gnome-core-devel"
>
> Well, if you've got sudo and apt then what you really wanted was
>
> sudo apt-get build-dep vim-gtk
>
> Takes the guesswork out of it.
> You didn't say what OS you had, and I had the impression that you
> couldn't su, or I would have given the pearl earlier.
>
> Anyone know the yum (or whatever) equivalent for Red Hat derived
> distros?  And what to do if sudo is not possible?
>
> Regards, John

I'm using openSUSE which, though being RedHat-derived, has its own
package-management software, with a choice of two programs:

- yast (either Qt- GTK2- or curses-based UI depending on what it can
detect; the backend is identical)
        with menus, you would select "Software installation" and continue from
there, maybe search for dependencies of the Vim package, and install any
"-devel" packages mentioned;

- zypper (command-line interface for "dumb" terminals)
        with a fairly complete but long manpage.

IMHO YaST is easier to use, especially if you're not sure what you're
after, but zypper is faster if you know exactly which command to use.

On SuSE you would log in as root for the purpose of running them; this,
of course, requires that you know the root password.

Captain Penny's Law:
        You can fool all of the people some of the time, and some of
the people all of the time, but you Can't Fool Mom.

Re: Building gvim

Christian Brabandt
On Mon, November 8, 2010 5:10 am, John Little wrote:
> And what to do if sudo is not possible?

You could try running with su -c 'command'. But neither su nor sudo
are required by Posix SUSv3[1], so su might not be installed. And
of course you need to know the super user password. (For sudo, it
depends how it was configured).

[1]http://www.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/9699919799/

regards,
Christian

Re: Building gvim

statquant2
Hi guys, I come to you again... tryed to install vim at worked on a OLDDDD red hat distribution. After a lot of work by boss and I manage to have config and make run, however we had to configure with following options : ./configure --with-features=huge --disable-selinux then doing make buils vim but vim -g don't work, I get this horrible E25: GUI cannot be used: Not enabled at compile time. I can only guess that this comes from --disable-selinux... Could you confirm me this ? do you see a workarounnd ? I can paste my log :
$ ./configure --with-features=huge --disable-selinux
configure: loading cache auto/config.cache
checking whether make sets $(MAKE)... (cached) yes
checking for gcc... (cached) gcc
checking for suffix of executables...
checking for suffix of object files... (cached) o
checking whether we are using the GNU C compiler... (cached) yes
checking for gcc option to accept ISO C89... (cached) none needed
checking how to run the C preprocessor... (cached) gcc -E
checking for grep that handles long lines and -e... (cached) /bin/grep
checking for egrep... (cached) /bin/grep -E
checking for library containing strerror... (cached) none required
checking for gawk... (cached) gawk
checking for strip... (cached) strip
checking for ANSI C header files... (cached) yes
checking for sys/wait.h that is POSIX.1 compatible... (cached) yes
configure: checking for buggy tools...
- sh is 'GNU bash, version 3.2.25(1)-release (x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu)
Copyright (C) 2005 Free Software Foundation, Inc.' - probably OK.
- sed is        'GNU sed version 4.1.5
warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE,
to the extent permitted by law.'.
checking for BeOS... no
checking for QNX... no
checking for Darwin (Mac OS X)... no
checking --with-local-dir argument... Defaulting to /usr/local
checking --with-vim-name argument... Defaulting to vim
checking --with-ex-name argument... Defaulting to ex
checking --with-view-name argument... Defaulting to view
checking --with-global-runtime argument... no
checking --with-modified-by argument... no
checking if character set is EBCDIC... no
checking --disable-selinux argument... yes
checking --with-features argument... huge
checking --with-compiledby argument... no
checking --disable-xsmp argument... no
checking --disable-xsmp-interact argument... no
checking --enable-luainterp argument... no
checking --enable-mzschemeinterp argument... no
checking --enable-perlinterp argument... no
checking --enable-pythoninterp argument... no
checking --enable-python3interp argument... no
checking --enable-tclinterp argument... no
checking --enable-rubyinterp argument... no
checking --enable-cscope argument... no
checking --enable-workshop argument... no
checking --disable-netbeans argument... no
checking for socket in -lsocket... (cached) no
checking for gethostbyname in -lnsl... (cached) yes
checking whether compiling netbeans integration is possible... yes
checking --enable-sniff argument... no
checking --enable-multibyte argument... no
checking --enable-hangulinput argument... no
checking --enable-xim argument... defaulting to auto
checking --enable-fontset argument... no
checking for xmkmf... no
checking for X... (cached) no
checking if X11 header files can be found... no
checking --enable-gui argument... no GUI support
checking for X11/SM/SMlib.h... (cached) no
checking whether toupper is broken... (cached) no
checking whether __DATE__ and __TIME__ work... yes
checking whether __attribute__((unused)) is allowed... yes
checking for elf.h... (cached) yes
checking for main in -lelf... (cached) no
checking for dirent.h that defines DIR... (cached) yes
checking for library containing opendir... (cached) none required
checking for stdarg.h... (cached) yes
checking for stdint.h... (cached) yes
checking for stdlib.h... (cached) yes
checking for string.h... (cached) yes
checking for sys/select.h... (cached) yes
checking for sys/utsname.h... (cached) yes
checking for termcap.h... (cached) no
checking for fcntl.h... (cached) yes
checking for sgtty.h... (cached) yes
checking for sys/ioctl.h... (cached) yes
checking for sys/time.h... (cached) yes
checking for sys/types.h... (cached) yes
checking for termio.h... (cached) yes
checking for iconv.h... (cached) yes
checking for inttypes.h... (cached) yes
checking for langinfo.h... (cached) yes
checking for math.h... (cached) yes
checking for unistd.h... (cached) yes
checking for stropts.h... (cached) yes
checking for errno.h... (cached) yes
checking for sys/resource.h... (cached) yes
checking for sys/systeminfo.h... (cached) no
checking for locale.h... (cached) yes
checking for sys/stream.h... (cached) no
checking for termios.h... (cached) yes
checking for libc.h... (cached) no
checking for sys/statfs.h... (cached) yes
checking for poll.h... (cached) yes
checking for sys/poll.h... (cached) yes
checking for pwd.h... (cached) yes
checking for utime.h... (cached) yes
checking for sys/param.h... (cached) yes
checking for libintl.h... (cached) yes
checking for libgen.h... (cached) yes
checking for util/debug.h... (cached) no
checking for util/msg18n.h... (cached) no
checking for frame.h... (cached) no
checking for sys/acl.h... (cached) no
checking for sys/access.h... (cached) no
checking for sys/sysinfo.h... (cached) yes
checking for wchar.h... (cached) yes
checking for wctype.h... (cached) yes
checking for sys/ptem.h... (cached) no
checking for sys/sysctl.h... (cached) yes
checking for pthread_np.h... no
checking for strings.h... (cached) yes
checking if strings.h can be included after string.h... yes
checking whether gcc needs -traditional... (cached) no
checking for an ANSI C-conforming const... (cached) yes
checking for working volatile... (cached) yes
checking for mode_t... (cached) yes
checking for off_t... (cached) yes
checking for pid_t... (cached) yes
checking for size_t... (cached) yes
checking for uid_t in sys/types.h... (cached) yes
checking for uint32_t... (cached) yes
checking whether time.h and sys/time.h may both be included... (cached) yes
checking for ino_t... (cached) yes
checking for dev_t... (cached) yes
checking whether byte ordering is bigendian... (cached) no
checking for rlim_t... (cached) yes
checking for stack_t... (cached) yes
checking whether stack_t has an ss_base field... no
checking --with-tlib argument... empty: automatic terminal library selection
checking for tgetent in -lncurses... yes
checking whether we talk terminfo... (cached) yes
checking what tgetent() returns for an unknown terminal... zero
checking whether termcap.h contains ospeed... no
checking whether ospeed can be extern... yes
checking whether termcap.h contains UP, BC and PC... no
checking whether UP, BC and PC can be extern... yes
checking whether tputs() uses outfuntype... no
checking whether sys/select.h and sys/time.h may both be included... yes
checking for /dev/ptc... no
checking for SVR4 ptys... yes
checking for ptyranges... don't know
checking default tty permissions/group... (cached) world
checking return type of signal handlers... (cached) void
checking for struct sigcontext... yes
checking getcwd implementation is broken... (cached) no
checking for bcmp... (cached) yes
checking for fchdir... (cached) yes
checking for fchown... (cached) yes
checking for fsync... (cached) yes
checking for getcwd... (cached) yes
checking for getpseudotty... (cached) no
checking for getpwnam... (cached) yes
checking for getpwuid... (cached) yes
checking for getrlimit... (cached) yes
checking for gettimeofday... (cached) yes
checking for getwd... (cached) yes
checking for lstat... (cached) yes
checking for memcmp... (cached) yes
checking for memset... (cached) yes
checking for mkdtemp... (cached) yes
checking for nanosleep... (cached) yes
checking for opendir... (cached) yes
checking for putenv... (cached) yes
checking for qsort... (cached) yes
checking for readlink... (cached) yes
checking for select... (cached) yes
checking for setenv... (cached) yes
checking for setpgid... (cached) yes
checking for setsid... (cached) yes
checking for sigaltstack... (cached) yes
checking for sigstack... (cached) yes
checking for sigset... (cached) yes
checking for sigsetjmp... (cached) no
checking for sigaction... (cached) yes
checking for sigvec... (cached) yes
checking for strcasecmp... (cached) yes
checking for strerror... (cached) yes
checking for strftime... (cached) yes
checking for stricmp... (cached) no
checking for strncasecmp... (cached) yes
checking for strnicmp... (cached) no
checking for strpbrk... (cached) yes
checking for strtol... (cached) yes
checking for tgetent... (cached) yes
checking for towlower... (cached) yes
checking for towupper... (cached) yes
checking for iswupper... (cached) yes
checking for usleep... (cached) yes
checking for utime... (cached) yes
checking for utimes... (cached) yes
checking for _LARGEFILE_SOURCE value needed for large files... (cached) no
checking for special C compiler options needed for large files... (cached) no
checking for _FILE_OFFSET_BITS value needed for large files... (cached) no
checking for st_blksize... yes
checking whether stat() ignores a trailing slash... (cached) no
checking for iconv_open()... yes
checking for nl_langinfo(CODESET)... yes
checking for strtod in -lm... (cached) yes
checking for strtod() and other floating point functions... yes
checking --disable-acl argument... no
checking for acl_get_file in -lposix1e... (cached) no
checking for acl_get_file in -lacl... (cached) no
checking for POSIX ACL support... no
checking for Solaris ACL support... no
checking for AIX ACL support... no
checking --disable-gpm argument... no
checking for gpm... (cached) no
checking --disable-sysmouse argument... no
checking for sysmouse... (cached) no
checking for FD_CLOEXEC... yes
checking for rename... yes
checking for sysctl... not usable
checking for sysinfo... yes
checking for sysinfo.mem_unit... yes
checking for sysconf... yes
checking size of int... (cached) 4
checking size of long... (cached) 8
checking size of time_t... (cached) 8
checking size of off_t... (cached) 8
checking uint32_t is 32 bits... ok
checking whether memmove handles overlaps... (cached) yes
checking for _xpg4_setrunelocale in -lxpg4... (cached) no
checking how to create tags... etags
checking how to run man with a section nr... man -s
checking --disable-nls argument... no
checking for msgfmt... (cached) msgfmt
checking for NLS... gettext() works
checking for bind_textdomain_codeset... (cached) yes
checking for _nl_msg_cat_cntr... yes
checking for dlfcn.h... (cached) yes
checking for dlopen()... yes
checking for dlsym()... yes
checking for setjmp.h... (cached) yes
checking for GCC 3 or later... yes
checking whether we need -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=1... yes
configure: updating cache auto/config.cache
configure: creating auto/config.status
config.status: creating auto/config.mk
config.status: creating auto/config.h
and then the make
$ make
CC="gcc -Iproto -DHAVE_CONFIG_H         " srcdir=. sh ./osdef.sh
gcc -c -I. -Iproto -DHAVE_CONFIG_H     -g -O2 -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=1       -o objects/buffer.o buffer.c
gcc -c -I. -Iproto -DHAVE_CONFIG_H     -g -O2 -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=1       -o objects/blowfish.o blowfish.c
gcc -c -I. -Iproto -DHAVE_CONFIG_H     -g -O2 -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=1       -o objects/charset.o charset.c
gcc -c -I. -Iproto -DHAVE_CONFIG_H     -g -O2 -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=1       -o objects/diff.o diff.c
gcc -c -I. -Iproto -DHAVE_CONFIG_H     -g -O2 -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=1       -o objects/digraph.o digraph.c
gcc -c -I. -Iproto -DHAVE_CONFIG_H     -g -O2 -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=1       -o objects/edit.o edit.c
gcc -c -I. -Iproto -DHAVE_CONFIG_H     -g -O2 -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=1       -o objects/eval.o eval.c
gcc -c -I. -Iproto -DHAVE_CONFIG_H     -g -O2 -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=1       -o objects/ex_cmds.o ex_cmds.c
gcc -c -I. -Iproto -DHAVE_CONFIG_H     -g -O2 -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=1       -o objects/ex_cmds2.o ex_cmds2.c
gcc -c -I. -Iproto -DHAVE_CONFIG_H     -g -O2 -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=1       -o objects/ex_docmd.o ex_docmd.c
gcc -c -I. -Iproto -DHAVE_CONFIG_H     -g -O2 -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=1       -o objects/ex_eval.o ex_eval.c
gcc -c -I. -Iproto -DHAVE_CONFIG_H     -g -O2 -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=1       -o objects/ex_getln.o ex_getln.c
gcc -c -I. -Iproto -DHAVE_CONFIG_H     -g -O2 -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=1       -o objects/fileio.o fileio.c
gcc -c -I. -Iproto -DHAVE_CONFIG_H     -g -O2 -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=1       -o objects/fold.o fold.c
gcc -c -I. -Iproto -DHAVE_CONFIG_H     -g -O2 -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=1       -o objects/getchar.o getchar.c
gcc -c -I. -Iproto -DHAVE_CONFIG_H     -g -O2 -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=1       -o objects/hardcopy.o hardcopy.c
gcc -c -I. -Iproto -DHAVE_CONFIG_H     -g -O2 -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=1       -o objects/hashtab.o hashtab.c
gcc -c -I. -Iproto -DHAVE_CONFIG_H     -g -O2 -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=1       -o objects/if_cscope.o if_cscope.c
gcc -c -I. -Iproto -DHAVE_CONFIG_H     -g -O2 -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=1       -o objects/if_xcmdsrv.o if_xcmdsrv.c
gcc -c -I. -Iproto -DHAVE_CONFIG_H     -g -O2 -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=1       -o objects/main.o main.c
gcc -c -I. -Iproto -DHAVE_CONFIG_H     -g -O2 -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=1       -o objects/mark.o mark.c
gcc -c -I. -Iproto -DHAVE_CONFIG_H     -g -O2 -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=1       -o objects/memfile.o memfile.c
gcc -c -I. -Iproto -DHAVE_CONFIG_H     -g -O2 -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=1       -o objects/memline.o memline.c
gcc -c -I. -Iproto -DHAVE_CONFIG_H     -g -O2 -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=1       -o objects/menu.o menu.c
gcc -c -I. -Iproto -DHAVE_CONFIG_H     -g -O2 -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=1       -o objects/message.o message.c
gcc -c -I. -Iproto -DHAVE_CONFIG_H     -g -O2 -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=1       -o objects/misc1.o misc1.c
gcc -c -I. -Iproto -DHAVE_CONFIG_H     -g -O2 -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=1       -o objects/misc2.o misc2.c
gcc -c -I. -Iproto -DHAVE_CONFIG_H     -g -O2 -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=1       -o objects/move.o move.c
gcc -c -I. -Iproto -DHAVE_CONFIG_H     -g -O2 -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=1       -o objects/mbyte.o mbyte.c
gcc -c -I. -Iproto -DHAVE_CONFIG_H     -g -O2 -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=1       -o objects/normal.o normal.c
gcc -c -I. -Iproto -DHAVE_CONFIG_H     -g -O2 -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=1       -o objects/ops.o ops.c
gcc -c -I. -Iproto -DHAVE_CONFIG_H     -g -O2 -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=1       -o objects/option.o option.c
gcc -c -I. -Iproto -DHAVE_CONFIG_H     -g -O2 -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=1       -o objects/os_unix.o os_unix.c
creating auto/pathdef.c
gcc -c -I. -Iproto -DHAVE_CONFIG_H     -g -O2 -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=1       -o objects/pathdef.o auto/pathdef.c
gcc -c -I. -Iproto -DHAVE_CONFIG_H     -g -O2 -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=1       -o objects/popupmnu.o popupmnu.c
gcc -c -I. -Iproto -DHAVE_CONFIG_H     -g -O2 -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=1       -o objects/quickfix.o quickfix.c
gcc -c -I. -Iproto -DHAVE_CONFIG_H     -g -O2 -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=1       -o objects/regexp.o regexp.c
gcc -c -I. -Iproto -DHAVE_CONFIG_H     -g -O2 -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=1       -o objects/screen.o screen.c
gcc -c -I. -Iproto -DHAVE_CONFIG_H     -g -O2 -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=1       -o objects/search.o search.c
gcc -c -I. -Iproto -DHAVE_CONFIG_H     -g -O2 -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=1       -o objects/sha256.o sha256.c
gcc -c -I. -Iproto -DHAVE_CONFIG_H     -g -O2 -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=1       -o objects/spell.o spell.c
gcc -c -I. -Iproto -DHAVE_CONFIG_H     -g -O2 -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=1       -o objects/syntax.o syntax.c
gcc -c -I. -Iproto -DHAVE_CONFIG_H     -g -O2 -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=1       -o objects/tag.o tag.c
gcc -c -I. -Iproto -DHAVE_CONFIG_H     -g -O2 -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=1       -o objects/term.o term.c
gcc -c -I. -Iproto -DHAVE_CONFIG_H     -g -O2 -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=1       -o objects/ui.o ui.c
gcc -c -I. -Iproto -DHAVE_CONFIG_H     -g -O2 -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=1       -o objects/undo.o undo.c
gcc -c -I. -Iproto -DHAVE_CONFIG_H     -g -O2 -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=1       -o objects/window.o window.c
gcc -c -I. -Iproto -DHAVE_CONFIG_H     -g -O2 -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=1       -o objects/netbeans.o netbeans.c
gcc -c -I. -Iproto -DHAVE_CONFIG_H     -g -O2 -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=1       version.c -o objects/version.o
link.sh: The file 'auto/link.sed' exists, which is going to be used now.
link.sh: If linking fails, try deleting the auto/link.sed file.
link.sh: If this fails too, try creating an empty auto/link.sed file.
link.sh: Using auto/link.sed file to omit a few libraries
  gcc   -L/home/me/bin/vim73/testLib -L/usr/local/lib     -o vim objects/buffer.o objects/blowfish.o objects/charset.o objects/diff.o objects/digraph.o objects/edit.o objects/eval.o objects/ex_cmds.o objects/ex_cmds2.o objects/ex_docmd.o objects/ex_eval.o objects/ex_getln.o objects/fileio.o objects/fold.o objects/getchar.o objects/hardcopy.o objects/hashtab.o  objects/if_cscope.o objects/if_xcmdsrv.o objects/main.o objects/mark.o objects/memfile.o objects/memline.o objects/menu.o objects/message.o objects/misc1.o objects/misc2.o objects/move.o objects/mbyte.o objects/normal.o objects/ops.o objects/option.o objects/os_unix.o objects/pathdef.o objects/popupmnu.o objects/quickfix.o objects/regexp.o objects/screen.o objects/search.o objects/sha256.o objects/spell.o objects/syntax.o  objects/tag.o objects/term.o objects/ui.o objects/undo.o objects/window.o           objects/netbeans.o  objects/version.o       -lm -lncurses
link.sh: Linked fine with a few libraries omitted
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/me/bin/vim73/src/po'
make[1]: Nothing to be done for `all'.
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/me/bin/vim73/src/po'
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/me/bin/vim73/src/po'
make[1]: Nothing to be done for `converted'.
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/me/bin/vim73/src/po'

Re: Building gvim

MarcWeber
Excerpts from statquant2's message of Mon Nov 08 21:12:22 +0100 2010:
> Hi guys, I come to you again...
> tryed to install vim at worked on a OLDDDD red hat distribution.
> After a lot of work by boss and I manage to have config and make run,
> however we had to configure with following options :
> ./configure --with-features=huge --disable-selinux
> then doing make buils vim but vim -g don't work, I get this horrible E25:
> GUI cannot be used: Not enabled at compile time.

 ./configure --enable-gui=auto  &> log.txt

Then have a look at the config output again. It should tell you what's
missing and why its enabling / disabling a gui backend.

I think you know all you have to know now.

If you still have trouble post again.

Marc Weber

Re: Building gvim

Reid Thompson
Re: Building gvim

you do not have the xwindows development libs installed

On Mon, 2010-11-08 at 12:12 -0800, statquant2 wrote:

> checking for X... (cached) no
> checking if X11 header files can be found... no
> checking --enable-gui argument... no GUI support

Re: Building gvim

John Little-4
I asked:
>Anyone know the yum (or whatever) equivalent for Red Hat derived distros?

And Tony commented:

> I'm using openSUSE which, though being RedHat-derived, has its own
> package-management software, with a choice of two programs:
>
> - yast ...
> - zypper ...

Interesting to read about ZYpp (yast is a gui front end for ZYpp); it
claims to be better at dependency management than APT.  Now, to find
the equivalent of "apt-get build-dep vim-gtk"  to revise the wiki, I'd
need to know the name of a suitable package (or the corresponding ZYpp
term) in SuSe or openSUSE and the zypper command to use, anyone?

Regards, John

Re: Building gvim

John Little-4
On Nov 9, 1:01 am, "Christian Brabandt" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Mon, November 8, 2010 5:10 am, John Little wrote:
> > And what to do if sudo is not possible?
>
> You could try running with su -c 'command'. But neither su nor sudo
> are required by Posix SUSv3[1], so su might not be installed. And
> of course you need to know the super user password.

What I was getting at was being in the position of not being able to
become root, whether su, sudo, logging on as root or whatever.  I've
been at a site that refused to install libraries to support compiling
vim:

"the company provides vi,  and instant coffee, that's been good enough
so far, and the company knows best, so developers should be happy with
vi and drink instant coffee"

(I paraphrase, but do not exaggerate.)

However, I was free to build stuff under my own user directory (sort
of...).  So, I was asking, can someone give a few pointers about
installing needed libraries and headers in a user directory and
building vim from there?

Regards, John

12