Building vim 6.3/7

Adam Tadeus Winiecki
Can someone explain to me what extra steps need to be done/patches
applied to build vim 6.3/7 on Mac OS X 10.4?
I am getting the following errors:
6.3:

gcc -c -I. -Iproto -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -DFEAT_GUI_ATHENA     -g -O2  -I/
usr/X11R6/include  -g -pipe  -DPERL_DARWIN -no-cpp-precomp -fno-
strict-aliasing -I/usr/local/include  -I/System/Library/Perl/5.8.6/
darwin-thread-multi-2level/CORE    -I/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/powerpc-
darwin8.0  -o objects/buffer.o buffer.c
In file included from buffer.c:29:
vim.h:40: error: parse error before ':' token
In file included from vim.h:1567,
                  from buffer.c:29:
proto.h:167: error: conflicting types for 'putenv'
/usr/include/stdlib.h:221: error: previous declaration of 'putenv'
was here
make[1]: *** [objects/buffer.o] Error 1
make: *** [first] Error 2

7.0:
checking for tgetent in -lncurses... no
checking for tgetent in -ltermlib... no
checking for tgetent in -ltermcap... no
checking for tgetent in -lcurses... no
no terminal library found
checking for tgetent()... configure: error: NOT FOUND!
       You need to install a terminal library; for example ncurses.
       Or specify the name of the library with --with-tlib.

thanks,
Adam Winiecki

Re: Building vim 6.3/7

Benjamin Esham
On Aug 25, 2005, at 6:22 PM, Adam Tadeus Winiecki wrote:

> Can someone explain to me what extra steps need to be done/patches
> applied to build vim 6.3/7 on Mac OS X 10.4?

I can build Vim 7 on OS X without any patches at all; I use fink,
though, so that might take care of a couple of problems that would
occur otherwise.  Like this one here...

> 7.0:
> checking for tgetent in -lncurses... no
> checking for tgetent in -ltermlib... no
> checking for tgetent in -ltermcap... no
> checking for tgetent in -lcurses... no
> no terminal library found
> checking for tgetent()... configure: error: NOT FOUND!
>       You need to install a terminal library; for example ncurses.
>       Or specify the name of the library with --with-tlib.

It looks like you need to install either ncurses, termlib, termcap
(libtermcap?), or curses.  (These are libraries that help apps to
draw text to the terminal screen.)  You could install them with fink,
or you could probably just build one of them yourself.  I assume that
ncurses and termlib are preferred since they're checked for first, so
you might try one of those first.

HTH,
--
Benjamin D. Esham
[hidden email]   |   http://bdesham.net   |   AIM: bdesham128
and has features like tabbed browsing. http://www.getfirefox.com

Re: Building vim 6.3/7

Jussi Hagman

On 26.8.2005, at 1.22, Adam Tadeus Winiecki wrote:

> Can someone explain to me what extra steps need to be done/patches
> applied to build vim 6.3/7 on Mac OS X 10.4?

They should build straight out of the box, without extra steps. The
complete instructions are here:

     http://macvim.org/OSX/index.php#Compiling

> I am getting the following errors:
> 6.3:
>
> gcc -c -I. -Iproto -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -DFEAT_GUI_ATHENA     -g -O2  -I/
> usr/X11R6/include

I see that you are building the athena gui version for X11, is this
intentional? The normal version for os x does not need x11 and has a
Carbon GUI.

> 7.0:
> checking for tgetent in -lncurses... no
> checking for tgetent in -ltermlib... no
> checking for tgetent in -ltermcap... no
> checking for tgetent in -lcurses... no
> no terminal library found
> checking for tgetent()... configure: error: NOT FOUND!
>       You need to install a terminal library; for example ncurses.
>       Or specify the name of the library with --with-tlib

This is really weird, AFAIK 6.3 makes the identical check and in your
case the configure for 6.3 did find a proper library. I'd guess there
is something wrong with your installation. I presume you have the
latest Xcode installed properly?

When I run the configure script the relevant output is following:

     checking whether stack_t has an ss_base field... no
     checking --with-tlib argument... empty: automatic terminal
library selection
     checking for tgetent in -lncurses... yes
     checking whether we talk terminfo... yes -- terminfo spoken here

and I have ncurses.h installed in /usr/include/ncurses.h (and a few
other places under sdks)

I checked out the latest versions of both vim6 and vim7 from the CVS
and tried to compile them on 10.4.2. Compilation worked fine apart
from a few warnings. My installation of OS X is quite vanilla, with
Xcode and some small things installed with darwin ports, although
none of them should make a difference.

Greetings,
Jussi

--
Jussi Hagman, [hidden email], iChat/AIM: jussihagman, ICQ: 54004113

Re: Building vim 6.3/7

Adam Tadeus Winiecki
          I am building vim 7 build 136 just fine now.  I removed --
enable-ruby-interp from my list of items to configure, and now it
builds fine.  When I have some time, I will probably delve into the
code and see why this causes ncurses to not be found.

thanks,
Adam Winiecki

On Aug 25, 2005, at 9:19 PM, Jussi Hagman wrote:

> On 26.8.2005, at 1.22, Adam Tadeus Winiecki wrote:
>

>> Can someone explain to me what extra steps need to be done/patches
>> applied to build vim 6.3/7 on Mac OS X 10.4?
>>

> They should build straight out of the box, without extra steps. The
> complete instructions are here:
>
>     http://macvim.org/OSX/index.php#Compiling
>

>> I am getting the following errors:
>> 6.3:
>>
>> gcc -c -I. -Iproto -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -DFEAT_GUI_ATHENA     -g -O2  -
>> I/usr/X11R6/include
>>

> I see that you are building the athena gui version for X11, is this
> intentional? The normal version for os x does not need x11 and has
> a Carbon GUI.
>

>> 7.0:
>> checking for tgetent in -lncurses... no
>> checking for tgetent in -ltermlib... no
>> checking for tgetent in -ltermcap... no
>> checking for tgetent in -lcurses... no
>> no terminal library found
>> checking for tgetent()... configure: error: NOT FOUND!
>>       You need to install a terminal library; for example ncurses.
>>       Or specify the name of the library with --with-tlib
>>

> This is really weird, AFAIK 6.3 makes the identical check and in
> your case the configure for 6.3 did find a proper library. I'd
> guess there is something wrong with your installation. I presume
> you have the latest Xcode installed properly?
>
> When I run the configure script the relevant output is following:
>
>     checking whether stack_t has an ss_base field... no
>     checking --with-tlib argument... empty: automatic terminal
> library selection
>     checking for tgetent in -lncurses... yes
>     checking whether we talk terminfo... yes -- terminfo spoken here
>
> and I have ncurses.h installed in /usr/include/ncurses.h (and a few
> other places under sdks)
>
> I checked out the latest versions of both vim6 and vim7 from the
> CVS and tried to compile them on 10.4.2. Compilation worked fine
> apart from a few warnings. My installation of OS X is quite
> vanilla, with Xcode and some small things installed with darwin
> ports, although none of them should make a difference.
>
> Greetings,
> Jussi
>
> --
> Jussi Hagman, [hidden email], iChat/AIM: jussihagman, ICQ:
> 54004113
> Studentbyn 4 D 33, 20540 Åbo, Finland +358 50 56 51 170

Re: Building vim 6.3/7

Greg Linde
On Aug 30, 2005, at 6:22 PM, Adam Tadeus Winiecki wrote:

>>> Can someone explain to me what extra steps need to be done/patches
>>> applied to build vim 6.3/7 on Mac OS X 10.4?
>>>

>> They should build straight out of the box, without extra steps. The
>> complete instructions are here:
>>
>>     http://macvim.org/OSX/index.php#Compiling

Sorry if this is a repeat question, but are there any FAQs/hints on how
to build vim within XCode 1.5? I've done the build with the
straightforward make and make install from the command line using CVS
to get the source, but I'd like to try to do all of this within XCode
using CVS as a way of familiarizing myself with the tool.

Greg.

Re: Building vim 6.3/7

Benji Fisher
On Wed, Aug 31, 2005 at 08:20:07AM -0400, Greg Linde wrote:

> Sorry if this is a repeat question, but are there any FAQs/hints on how
> to build vim within XCode 1.5? I've done the build with the
> straightforward make and make install from the command line using CVS
> to get the source, but I'd like to try to do all of this within XCode
> using CVS as a way of familiarizing myself with the tool.
>
> Greg.

     All I know is that the standard distribution contains the file
os_mac.pbproj/project.pbxproj .  I do not know whether this needs to be
updated or not.  You can try
$ open os_mac.pbproj/project
and see whether it works.  I think you are more likely to succeed with
XCode 1.5 than with 2.1.

HTH --Benji Fisher

Re: Building vim 6.3/7

Jussi Hagman

On 30.10.2005, at 5:35, Benji Fisher wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 31, 2005 at 08:20:07AM -0400, Greg Linde wrote:
>>
>> Sorry if this is a repeat question, but are there any FAQs/hints
>> on how
>> to build vim within XCode 1.5? I've done the build with the
>> straightforward make and make install from the command line using CVS
>> to get the source, but I'd like to try to do all of this within XCode
>> using CVS as a way of familiarizing myself with the tool.
>>

>      All I know is that the standard distribution contains the file
> os_mac.pbproj/project.pbxproj .  I do not know whether this needs
> to be
> updated or not.  You can try
> $ open os_mac.pbproj/project
> and see whether it works.  I think you are more likely to succeed with
> XCode 1.5 than with 2.1.

I once tried to compile vim with Xcode 2.x and did not succeed,
probably because of my own cluelessness.

If my memory serves well .pbproj was used when Xcode was still called
project builder and with some very early versions of Xcode. After
that the project file format has changed majorly at least twice.
Going through .xcode to .xcodeproj.

As Benji said, with Xcode 1.5 the changes of compiling vim are a bit
higher than with a newer one. I don't know how much work it takes to
make xcode understand about the build system or if it should be done
separately from the makefiles used.

Good luck,
Jussi.

--
Jussi Hagman, [hidden email], iChat/AIM: jussihagman, ICQ: 54004113

Re: Building vim 6.3/7

Axel Kielhorn

Am 30.10.2005 um 15:15 schrieb Jussi Hagman:

> As Benji said, with Xcode 1.5 the changes of compiling vim are a bit
> higher than with a newer one. I don't know how much work it takes to
> make xcode understand about the build system or if it should be done
> separately from the makefiles used.

I had problems building Vim with Xcode 1.1. After upgrading to 1.5 it
worked.
(I'm using configure make, not ProjectBuilder.)

Axel