CTRL-F Setting

Sam

CTRL-F Setting

Sam
Hello

I just installed the latest release and when I tried to scroll forward with CTRL-F in gVim, not gVim Easy, a promptfind dialog box poped up.  How do I change its behavior back to scroll forward?

Thanks

Re: CTRL-F Setting

Gary Johnson-4
On 2017-06-05, Sam wrote:
> Hello
>
> I just installed the latest release and when I tried to scroll
> forward with CTRL-F in gVim, not gVim Easy, a promptfind dialog
> box poped up.  How do I change its behavior back to scroll
> forward?

Some startup script is sourcing $VIMRUNTIME/mswin.vim.  You can
either search those scripts, such as ~/_vimrc, for "mswin.vim", or
you can execute ":scriptnames", search that list visually for
"mswin.vim", then look upward a line or two for the name of the
script that sourced mswin.vim.

You can then either delete the line that sources mswin.vim to get
rid of all of its settings, or if you just want to get rid of the
CTRL-F mapping, you can add this line,

    unmap <C-F>

somewhere in your ~/_vimrc _after_ the line that sources mswin.vim.

Regards,
Gary

Sam

Re: CTRL-F Setting

Sam
Thanks Gary

I looked in _vimrc and it was the second line, followed by "behave mswin".  I just put "unmap <C-F>" under that line and I my scrolling returned.

Curious though that the Vim installation on my old hard drive has the same _vimrc file and I don't remember having this problem.

Sam

Re: CTRL-F Setting

Gary Johnson-4
On 2017-06-06, Sam wrote:
> Thanks Gary
>
> I looked in _vimrc and it was the second line, followed by "behave
> mswin".  I just put "unmap <C-F>" under that line and I my
> scrolling returned.
>
> Curious though that the Vim installation on my old hard drive has
> the same _vimrc file and I don't remember having this problem.

You're welcome.

I just checked the revision history on mswin.vim and found that it
was modified with patch 8.0.0321 on February 9, 2017, to add
mappings for CTRL-F to the search dialog and CTRL-H to the replace
dialog.

Regards,
Gary

Re: CTRL-F Setting

Christian Brabandt

On Di, 06 Jun 2017, Gary Johnson wrote:

> On 2017-06-06, Sam wrote:
> > Thanks Gary
> >
> > I looked in _vimrc and it was the second line, followed by "behave
> > mswin".  I just put "unmap <C-F>" under that line and I my
> > scrolling returned.
> >
> > Curious though that the Vim installation on my old hard drive has
> > the same _vimrc file and I don't remember having this problem.
>
> You're welcome.
>
> I just checked the revision history on mswin.vim and found that it
> was modified with patch 8.0.0321 on February 9, 2017, to add
> mappings for CTRL-F to the search dialog and CTRL-H to the replace
> dialog.

Yes and this was done for being compatible with standard Windows
shortcuts (as requested either here or at the vim/vim issue tracker).

Best,
Christian
--
Was die neuen Unwissenden holen müssen:
Gewichte für die Wasserwaage

Sam

Re: CTRL-F Setting

Sam
Hi

That explains it.  I understand it's a balance between keeping the efficiency of vi and having it Windows friendly, and I guess that's what gVim Easy addresses.  But just to give my opinion, having a Windows dialog box pop up when I attempted to scroll in gVim was jolting.

Thanks again,
Sam