Can Ctags find the all the caller of a function?

Can Ctags find the all the caller of a function?

Steven Weng
Hi all,

Ctags can find the function definition easily. Also I can use the find and grep
to  find the all the function in a project.

My question is "can Ctags find the all the caller of a function?"

Thanks
Steven

Re: Can Ctags find the all the caller of a function?

Thomas Geulig
> My question is "can Ctags find the all the caller of a function?"

ctags can't, but you can try cscope (http://cscope.sourceforge.net/).

Thomas

RE: Can Ctags find the all the caller of a function?

Goli, Rajesh (Rajesh)
I was looking for one such utility too, some utility where I can find all
calls to a funcion from within vim (unlike cscope). Anyone got a clue?

Thanks,
Rajesh

Thanks
Steven

Re: Can Ctags find the all the caller of a function?

James Vega-3
On Wed, Jul 06, 2005 at 12:51:13PM +0530, Goli, Rajesh (Rajesh) wrote:
> I was looking for one such utility too, some utility where I can find all
> calls to a funcion from within vim (unlike cscope). Anyone got a clue?

You can use cscope from within Vim, assuming your Vim was compiled with
that support (which ":echo has('cscope')" will tell you).

:help cscope

The above describes the interface and how to use it.

James
--
GPG Key: 1024D/61326D40 2003-09-02 James Vega <[hidden email]>

Re: Can Ctags find the all the caller of a function?

John Culleton-3
On Wednesday 06 July 2005 12:04 pm, James Vega wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 06, 2005 at 12:51:13PM +0530, Goli, Rajesh (Rajesh) wrote:
> > I was looking for one such utility too, some utility where I can find all
> > calls to a funcion from within vim (unlike cscope). Anyone got a clue?
>
> You can use cscope from within Vim, assuming your Vim was compiled with
> that support (which ":echo has('cscope')" will tell you).
>
> :help cscope
>
> The above describes the interface and how to use it.
>
> James

In Linux my instinct would be to use
:!grep  functionname filename{s)

--
John Culleton
Books with answers to marketing and publishing questions:

Book coaches, consultants and packagers: