Can I include /range/ in substitute pattern?

Can I include /range/ in substitute pattern?

Pablo Contreras-2
Hi All,

I'm wondering if you gentlemen will be able to help me here.

Let's say I have

=====
john    [<--current-line]

sells kites
=====

if I want to add bikes to John's sales I do

:/sells kites/s//\0 and bikes/

which is great because it saves me typing 'sells kites' in the pattern

the inclusion of just s//.......

tells Vim 'use the last pattern found as part of the search pattern.

hence I get:

=====
john

sells kites and bikes    [<--current-line]
=====

how about this:

=====
john     [<--current-line]

sells kites and bikes
=====

I decide I don't like the order in which John is selling.  I want to change this order:

so I could do:

:/kites/s/\(kites\)\(.*\)\(bikes\)/\3\2\1/

then surely:

=====
john

sells bikes and kites    [<--current-line]
=====

result.  But I'm just wondering is there a shorthand way of re-type 'kites' in my search pattern.

so far I've tried:

:/kites/s/\(~\)\(.*\)\(bikes\)/\3\2\1/

which doesn't work because you can only use ~ on the right hand side of :subst

similarly

:/kites/s/\(&\)\(.*\)\(bikes\)/\3\2\1/

because & has to be on the right.

my previous trick:

:/kites/s//...... /

doesn't work here because I'm trying to match both 'kites' and 'and bikes'

Is this too ambitious?

Thanks in advance! Pablo.

Re: Can I include /range/ in substitute pattern?

jakykong@theanythingbox.com
On Tuesday, March 14, 2017 at 10:28:23 AM UTC-7, Pablo Contreras wrote:

> my previous trick:
>
> :/kites/s//...... /
>
> doesn't work here because I'm trying to match both 'kites' and 'and bikes'
>
> Is this too ambitious?
>
> Thanks in advance! Pablo.
If you had searched /kites/ first, I'd suggest <C-r>/ to paste the search register, but clearly that isn't what you're after. If you do it that way,

/kites
:s/\(<C-r>/\)\(.*\)\(bikes\)/\3\2\1/

would shorthand typing kites (Just in case I'm not being clear about the key sequence here, <C-r>/ means ctrl+r then '/', and these are two commands, one to search and one to substitute)

That works for your example on my machine.

Re: Can I include /range/ in substitute pattern?

Pablo Contreras-2
Hi Jakykong,

love the name :)

(I was a big Kong fan in my time)

I think I wasn't explaining myself clearly.

Also I was a bit confused.

What I was trying to do was this: (AutoIt3 BASIC)

=====
Dim $K_MAINGUIWIDTH

$K_MAINGUIWIDTH = 320

..

GUICreate( "hello world!", 200, 100 ........
=====
say I'm interested in that string $K_MAINGUIWIDTH right at the top there

it's a GUI in AutoIt3

I was looking change the GUICreate to use $K_MAINGUIWIDTH instead of a set 200

I got confused because /RANGE/ and s// are different.  The
/RANGE/s//NEW TEXT/ is a special case where Vim lets you use the
previously used pattern as the search pattern in the s//

In fact my replacement can be achieved in s// exclusively

you do:
1s/\(\_.\{-}\)\($K_MAINGUIWIDTH\)\(\_.\{-}\)200/\1\2\3\2/

ask Vim to go skip through the entire fie
   \_.\{-}
until it matches $K_MAINGUIWIDTH
then keep going
   \_.\{-}
until you match 200

then your substitute string you just put those things back
\1\2\3
then add your desired string
\2

Works for me!

Cheers, Pablo.

On Tuesday, March 21, 2017 at 5:44:56 AM UTC-7, Pablo Contreras wrote:
> Hi Jakykong,
>
> love the name :)
>
> (I was a big Kong fan in my time)

Oddly enough, I think in nearly 15 years of using this moniker, you're the first to notice that connection! :)

> I think I wasn't explaining myself clearly.
>
> Also I was a bit confused.
>
> What I was trying to do was this: (AutoIt3 BASIC)
>
> =====
> Dim $K_MAINGUIWIDTH
>
> $K_MAINGUIWIDTH = 320
>
> ..
>
> GUICreate( "hello world!", 200, 100 ........
> =====
> say I'm interested in that string $K_MAINGUIWIDTH right at the top there
>
> it's a GUI in AutoIt3
>
> I was looking change the GUICreate to use $K_MAINGUIWIDTH instead of a set 200
>
> I got confused because /RANGE/ and s// are different.  The
> /RANGE/s//NEW TEXT/ is a special case where Vim lets you use the
> previously used pattern as the search pattern in the s//
>
> In fact my replacement can be achieved in s// exclusively
>
> you do:
> 1s/\(\_.\{-}\)\($K_MAINGUIWIDTH\)\(\_.\{-}\)200/\1\2\3\2/
>
> ask Vim to go skip through the entire fie
>    \_.\{-}
> until it matches $K_MAINGUIWIDTH
> then keep going
>    \_.\{-}+
> until you match 200
>
> then your substitute string you just put those things back
> \1\2\3
> then add your desired string
> \2
>
> Works for me!
>
> Cheers, Pablo.

> > On Tuesday, March 14, 2017 at 10:28:23 AM UTC-7, Pablo Contreras wrote:
> >

> >> my previous trick:
> >>
> >> :/kites/s//...... /
> >>
> >> doesn't work here because I'm trying to match both 'kites' and 'and
> >> bikes'
> >>
> >> Is this too ambitious?
> >>
> >> Thanks in advance! Pablo.
> >
> > If you had searched /kites/ first, I'd suggest <C-r>/ to paste the search
> > register, but clearly that isn't what you're after. If you do it that way,
> >
> > /kites
> > :s/\(<C-r>/\)\(.*\)\(bikes\)/\3\2\1/
> >
> > would shorthand typing kites (Just in case I'm not being clear about the key
> > sequence here, <C-r>/ means ctrl+r then '/', and these are two commands, one
> > to search and one to substitute)
> >
> > That works for your example on my machine.
> >

> > --
> > --
> >
> > ---
> > [hidden email].

I think you can simplify this further. First, 1s is unnecessary, s on its own defaults to replacing only the first occurrence of a pattern (you need the /g flag to change that behavior) and like most commands operates on the current line only by default (you need a range larger than 1 to change that behavior).

The movements you're doing may also be a bit overkill, depending on the situation precisely; if you simply match on GUICreate instead of the 200 it will probably narrow the results to one of a few calls (since GUICreate isn't something I would expect to be called massively often) - then just use the /gc flag to confirm which ones need substitution over the whole file (or most of it).

Finally, \zs can simplify your substitution. It lets you define where the match actually starts *after* some other matching. So, Give this a go:

%s/^GUICreate.*, \zs200/$K_MAINGUIWIDTH/gc

Just hit 'y' or 'n' a few times as relevant.

Hope it helps!

Re: Can I include /range/ in substitute pattern?

Pablo Contreras-2
Lol serious??? Donkey Kong is my all time fave!! Cheers, JakyKong.