Can Vim be configured so it considers files with no-op edits as unmodified?

Can Vim be configured so it considers files with no-op edits as unmodified?

Eric Pruitt
I'm looking for a plugin or even a Vim patch that makes it so files are
not considered unmodified if the "changes" that were effectively no-op.
For example, if I execute "gq}" to reflow a paragraph, Vim considers the
file modified even if the command didn't actually change anything. I
thought I could at least disabled "No write since last change for
buffer..." by writing a function that gets executed when Vim is
quitting, but the autocommands "VimLeave" and "VimLeavePre" don't seem
to be executed before the error is shown.

Eric