Can not map the meta key in gvim with the "zh_CN.UTF-8" locale

Can not map the meta key in gvim with the "zh_CN.UTF-8" locale

Zhong, Dingkun
Hi,
I try to map the alt key to some function in gvim, but it does not work.
I use the zh_CN.UTF-8 locale in linux with gnome, and gvim is gtk
version. After mapping <M-x> (x is a letter or number key) in insert
mode, I get an x in insert mode when type the <M-x> key. But mapping
<M-Left> (and <M-Right>...) do work.

I change the LC_CTYPE to en_US.UTF-8, the mappings have no problem. But
I can not input Chinese if I set LC_CTYPE to en_US.UTF-8. Is there a
solution to this problem? Thank you.

Best regards,

Dingkun Zhong

Re: Can not map the meta key in gvim with the "zh_CN.UTF-8" locale

Yukihiro Nakadaira
Zhong, Dingkun wrote:

> Hi,
> I try to map the alt key to some function in gvim, but it does not work.
> I use the zh_CN.UTF-8 locale in linux with gnome, and gvim is gtk
> version. After mapping <M-x> (x is a letter or number key) in insert
> mode, I get an x in insert mode when type the <M-x> key. But mapping
> <M-Left> (and <M-Right>...) do work.
>
> I change the LC_CTYPE to en_US.UTF-8, the mappings have no problem. But
> I can not input Chinese if I set LC_CTYPE to en_US.UTF-8. Is there a
> solution to this problem? Thank you.

I guess your 'imactivatekey' is not set.  In that case, Vim always pass
inputted key to Input Method.  If the Input Method catch the <M-x> key and
drop the modifier, "x" is inserted.  It happened for me when
GTK_IM_MODULE=xim.  I can use <M-x> when 'imactivatekey' is set to something
or GTK_IM_MODULE=scim (or uim or iiim).

Yukihiro Nakadaira <[hidden email]>

Re: Can not map the meta key in gvim with the "zh_CN.UTF-8" locale

Zhong, Dingkun
Thanks for your help. I solve the problem with your instruction.