Can't copy paste from GVIM on Linux to Windows

Can't copy paste from GVIM on Linux to Windows

Tom Mulrooney
I am running a VNC session on a Linux machine and I run a VNC Viewer
from my Microsoft Windows PC into it.  I cannot copy paste from a GVIM
window running on Linux over to any Windows apps.  Here are some more
details:

- I can copy paste from Windows into GVIM fine
- I can copy paste from GVIM into emacs fine
- I can copy paste from emacs into Windows fine
- I have "set guioptions=a" defined
- When I copy text in GVIM and then type :registers, my text shows up in
the * register
- When I copy text in either emacs or Windows and then type :registers,
my text shows up in both the * and + registers
- I am running GVIM 6.3, Windows XP Pro, VNC 3.3.7, and KDE on Linux

Any help is greatly appreciated, as having to copy-n-paste through emacs
is really painful.

Thanks
Tom

Re: Can't copy paste from GVIM on Linux to Windows

A.J.Mechelynck
>I am running a VNC session on a Linux machine and I run a VNC Viewer
> from my Microsoft Windows PC into it.  I cannot copy paste from a GVIM
> window running on Linux over to any Windows apps.  Here are some more
> details:
>
> - I can copy paste from Windows into GVIM fine
> - I can copy paste from GVIM into emacs fine
> - I can copy paste from emacs into Windows fine
> - I have "set guioptions=a" defined
> - When I copy text in GVIM and then type :registers, my text shows up in
> the * register
> - When I copy text in either emacs or Windows and then type :registers,
> my text shows up in both the * and + registers
> - I am running GVIM 6.3, Windows XP Pro, VNC 3.3.7, and KDE on Linux
>
> Any help is greatly appreciated, as having to copy-n-paste through emacs
> is really painful.
>
> Thanks
> Tom

Under X11, the * and + registers are different. Everywhere else they are
identical.

To copy text to the clipboard, there are other methods than using the menus.
You can do it via the keyboard. In Windows, I use "*y{motion} but you can
use "+ instead of "* if it works better for you.

If indeed it works better, then you can customize the menus, see ":help
:menu"

RE: Can't copy paste from GVIM on Linux to Windows

Tom Mulrooney
I tried both "*y and "+y, with no luck either way.  Also using these,
the info from the :registers command is now identical when I
unsuccesfully try to copy from GVIM verses when I successfully copy from
Emacs.  It looks like there is a register somewhere for this copy paste
that is not showing up in the :registers command.

Here is another expriment I just did using back-to-back copies followed
by back-toback pastes.  I first copied a line in Emacs, then immediately
copied a line in GVIM.  When I type registers in GVIM the Emacs line
does not appear anywhere (only the GVIM line), when I paste into Windows
I get the Emacs line, and when paste into Emacs I get the GVIM line.

Tom

>I am running a VNC session on a Linux machine and I run a VNC Viewer
> from my Microsoft Windows PC into it.  I cannot copy paste from a GVIM
> window running on Linux over to any Windows apps.  Here are some more
> details:
>
> - I can copy paste from Windows into GVIM fine
> - I can copy paste from GVIM into emacs fine
> - I can copy paste from emacs into Windows fine
> - I have "set guioptions=a" defined
> - When I copy text in GVIM and then type :registers, my text shows up
in
> the * register
> - When I copy text in either emacs or Windows and then type
:registers,
> my text shows up in both the * and + registers
> - I am running GVIM 6.3, Windows XP Pro, VNC 3.3.7, and KDE on Linux
>
> Any help is greatly appreciated, as having to copy-n-paste through
emacs
> is really painful.
>
> Thanks
> Tom

Under X11, the * and + registers are different. Everywhere else they are

identical.

To copy text to the clipboard, there are other methods than using the
menus.
You can do it via the keyboard. In Windows, I use "*y{motion} but you
can
use "+ instead of "* if it works better for you.

If indeed it works better, then you can customize the menus, see ":help
:menu"

RE: Can't copy paste from GVIM on Linux to Windows

Tom Mulrooney
Perhaps you are running a different version of GVIM, as both the * and +
registers are shown when I type :register.  I repeated the experiment,
and got the same results:

1) Copy "EMACS EMACS EMACS" text in emacs
2) Copy "GVIM GVIM GVIM" text (using both "+y and "*y) in GVIM
3) Running :registers (or :registers * along with :registers +) returns:
   "*   GVIM GVIM GVIM
   "+   GVIM GVIM GVIM
4) Paste into Windows and I get "EMACS EMACS EMACS"
5) Paste into emacs and I get  "GVIM GVIM GVIM"

Since I have a similar issue doing copy paste from my KDE terminals to
Windows, I did a little searching on the KDE help page.  Apparently KDE
has a known issue with copy paste through a VNC session to Windows.
Could this KDE feature somehow affect GVIM but not Emacs?  Is anyone
else running GVIM on KDE but are able to copy paste to Windows?

Tom

When I run the :registers command the * register is not shown. Can you
check
:registers *
and
:registers +