Cannot create diffs (E97) with Vim 8.0 on Windows 7

Cannot create diffs (E97) with Vim 8.0 on Windows 7

Hugo Gagnon-2
Hello,

When I pick two files in Explorer and then right click -> "Diff with Vim" I get the E97 error. I did read the E97 help file and checked if I had diff.exe installed but I couldn't find anything odd.

Any input?

Thanks,

Hugo

Re: Cannot create diffs (E97) with Vim 8.0 on Windows 7

Charles Campbell
Hugo Gagnon wrote:
> Hello,
>
> When I pick two files in Explorer and then right click -> "Diff with Vim" I get the E97 error. I did read the E97 help file and checked if I had diff.exe installed but I couldn't find anything odd.

By "Explorer", are you referring to netrw?  If not, ignore the rest of
this note, please.

Netrw does not provide a "Diff with Vim".  It does allow you to select
files (shift-leftmouse  -or-  mf), then select [Netrw:Marked Files:Diff]
This process uses vim's diffthis on the marked files.
The self-installing version of vim under Windows includes a diff program
with it; vim doesn't do diff on its own.
If you have a diff.exe (from which I'm inferring that you're using
Windows) make sure that its on your Windows path.  My windows speak is
rusty; that may be %PATH% ?  Someone please correct me on that.

Regards,
Chip Campbell

On Friday, July 28, 2017 at 4:28:23 PM UTC-4, Charles Campbell wrote:

> Hugo Gagnon wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > When I pick two files in Explorer and then right click -> "Diff with Vim" I get the E97 error. I did read the E97 help file and checked if I had diff.exe installed but I couldn't find anything odd.
>
> By "Explorer", are you referring to netrw?  If not, ignore the rest of
> this note, please.
>
> Netrw does not provide a "Diff with Vim".  It does allow you to select
> files (shift-leftmouse  -or-  mf), then select [Netrw:Marked Files:Diff]
> This process uses vim's diffthis on the marked files.
> The self-installing version of vim under Windows includes a diff program
> with it; vim doesn't do diff on its own.
> If you have a diff.exe (from which I'm inferring that you're using
> Windows) make sure that its on your Windows path.  My windows speak is
> rusty; that may be %PATH% ?  Someone please correct me on that.
>
> Regards,
> Chip Campbell
Since C:\WINDOWS is already in my path I copied diff.exe into it and it now works. I know, using C:\WINDOWS is probably a bad idea. In any case thanks for the input.