Cannot edit remote file via ftp

Lucas Sanner
Hi,

I'd like to browse directories and edit files on my ubuntu server (set up with VirtualBox) through GVim (under Windows 7).
So I'm trying to use ftp protocol with GVim but it doesn't work.

According to the netrw documentation, I type:

e: ftp//user@192.168.0.46/mydirectory/

and I'm asked for password then I get the list view (the same I get with :Explore command).
BUT whenever I press the enter key to enter a directory or edit a file, I get the message
"Press Enter or type a command" at the bottom of the screen, but nothing happen when I press Enter.

What's wrong ?

Re: Cannot edit remote file via ftp

Charles Campbell
Lucas Sanner wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'd like to browse directories and edit files on my ubuntu server (set up with VirtualBox) through GVim (under Windows 7).
> So I'm trying to use ftp protocol with GVim but it doesn't work.
>
> According to the netrw documentation, I type:
>
> e: ftp//user@192.168.0.46/mydirectory/
>
> and I'm asked for password then I get the list view (the same I get with :Explore command).
> BUT whenever I press the enter key to enter a directory or edit a file, I get the message
> "Press Enter or type a command" at the bottom of the screen, but nothing happen when I press Enter.
>
> What's wrong ?

No idea -- obviously I can't use that address myself for testing. May I
suggest looking at   :he netrw-debug .

Also, please include the vim version you're using and the netrw version
you're using (its up to v150 now, you can get it from
http://www.drchip.org/astronaut/vim/index.html#NETRW).

What happens when you try to use ftp from the command line?

Regards,
Charles Campbell

Re: Cannot edit remote file via ftp

Lucas Sanner
Thanks for you response.

I'm using the 7.4 version, but I don't know how to get the netrw version.
ftp works fine in command line and with my ftp software.

The only clue I have is that whenever I try to enter a directory (mysubdirectory for instance), it is added to the path (at the top of the screen).

ftp//user@192.168.0.46/mydirectory/mysubdirectory/mysubdirectory/mysubdirectory/

Does that ring a bell ?

Lucas Sanner wrote:

> Thanks for you response.
>
> I'm using the 7.4 version, but I don't know how to get the netrw version.
> ftp works fine in command line and with my ftp software.
>

> The only clue I have is that whenever I try to enter a directory (mysubdirectory for instance), it is added to the path (at the top of the screen).
>
> ftp//user@192.168.0.46/mydirectory/mysubdirectory/mysubdirectory/mysubdirectory/
>

> Does that ring a bell ?

Not really.  To get the latest version of netrw, which may or may not
affect this issue, use:

http://www.drchip.org/astronaut/vim/index.html#NETRW

When you click on the title "Network Oriented Reading, Writing, and
Browsing" you should get the file netrw.vba.gz.  Then

vim netrw.vba.gz
:so %
:q

will activate it.

Regards,
C Campbell

Re: Cannot edit remote file via ftp

Lucas Sanner
The issue still occurs after install the last plugin version.
When I attempt to edit a file (which does exist on the server) I
get the message "No such file or directory".

I just don't get it.

Lucas Sanner wrote:
> The issue still occurs after install the last plugin version.
> When I attempt to edit a file (which does exist on the server) I
> get the message "No such file or directory".
>
> I just don't get it.

OK, now read  :help netrw-debug .  You'll need to get a debugging trace;
be sure to remove any passwords from the debugging trace first (unless
you don't care if I have them).  Please try to do the minimal set of
commands that cause the problem.

Regards,
C Campbell

Re: Cannot edit remote file via ftp

Lucas Sanner
Ok, this is the debugging trace file (without passwords).

The steps I did are:

- Connect to my remote server via ftp
- Attempt to enter a directory by pressing Enter
- Attempt to edit a file by pressing Enter

That's all.
I hope you will be able to detect what's wrong.

Thanks

netrw-debug.vim (88K) Download Attachment

Re: Cannot edit remote file via ftp

Lucas Sanner
Has no one ever ran into this issue ?
Can someone help me ?

Lucas Sanner wrote:

> Ok, this is the debugging trace file (without passwords).
>
> The steps I did are:
>
> - Connect to my remote server via ftp
> - Attempt to enter a directory by pressing Enter
> - Attempt to edit a file by pressing Enter
>
> That's all.
> I hope you will be able to detect what's wrong.
>

> Thanks

Hello!

It seems that you typed:

     vim ftp://datamigo@192.168.0.46/myweb/

but there is no directory or file named "myweb" on that system; there is
a directory named joomlight-3.x and a file named test.php, but its under
the home directory, not myweb.

You then selected joomlight-3.x with a <cr>; this resulted in netrw
trying ftp with:

     vim ftp://datamigo@192.168.0.46/myweb/joomlight-3.x/

Of course, since there's no directory called "myweb", there's no
directory called "myweb/joomlight-3.x" either.

You then selected test.php with a <cr>; this resulted in netrw trying
ftp with:

     vim ftp://datamigo@192.168.0.46/myweb/test.php

Again, there is no myweb directory, and so there's no myweb/test.php file.

However, netrw should issue a message about this problem, so please try
v151f which does so.