Caps Lock indication

Михаил Голубев
Hello to everyone.

I want to write small function for my 'statusline' option, so it shows whether Caps Lock button was pressed or not. I work on laptop and "analog" led indicator is right under my wrist so I don't see it at all. Do you have any assumptions how this can be done?

Thanks in advance!

Best regards,
Golubev Mikhail

Re: Caps Lock indication

Tony Mechelynck
On 06/07/11 16:01, Михаил Голубев wrote:

> Hello to everyone.
>
> I want to write small function for my 'statusline' option, so it shows
> whether Caps Lock button was pressed or not. I work on laptop and
> "analog" led indicator is right under my wrist so I don't see it at all.
> Do you have any assumptions how this can be done?
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> Best regards,
> Golubev Mikhail

Short answer: It can't.

Long answer: Vim cannot tell the current Caps Lock / Shift Lock / Scroll
Lock state, it doesn't know when a key was released but only that it was
pressed, and it doesn't know the Shift / Scroll / Alt state except
sometimes (and not always in a way that vimscript can read) when some
"ordinary" key gets pressed. And to make everything even more complex,
there are some keys or key combinations that Vim never sees because they
are snatched away before it can get them (e.g. on KDE Ctrl-F7 means
"switch to virtual desktop #7", on Linux Ctrl-Alt-F5 means "switch to
virtual text console #5 aka /dev/tty5); and in console mode it is also
dependent on the underlying terminal for what, if anything, if will see
for any particular key or key combination: for instance it is a well
known (and intentional) fact that Shift makes no difference in
conjunction with Ctrl-A to Ctrl-Z.

World War Three can be averted by adherence to a strictly enforced
dress code!

Re: Caps Lock indication

Михаил Голубев
Thanks for your attention and explanation Tony. So I will continue to
guess Caps Lock state looking at mess on my screen :) and try to find
another appropriate solution of my problem.

Best regards,
Golubev Mikhail

On 6 июл, 19:01, Tony Mechelynck <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 06/07/11 16:01, Михаил Голубев wrote:
>
> > Hello to everyone.
>
> > I want to write small function for my 'statusline' option, so it shows
> > whether Caps Lock button was pressed or not. I work on laptop and
> > "analog" led indicator is right under my wrist so I don't see it at all.
> > Do you have any assumptions how this can be done?
>
> > Thanks in advance!
>
> > Best regards,
> > Golubev Mikhail
>
> Short answer: It can't.
>
> Long answer: Vim cannot tell the current Caps Lock / Shift Lock / Scroll
> Lock state, it doesn't know when a key was released but only that it was
> pressed, and it doesn't know the Shift / Scroll / Alt state except
> sometimes (and not always in a way that vimscript can read) when some
> "ordinary" key gets pressed. And to make everything even more complex,
> there are some keys or key combinations that Vim never sees because they
> are snatched away before it can get them (e.g. on KDE Ctrl-F7 means
> "switch to virtual desktop #7", on Linux Ctrl-Alt-F5 means "switch to
> virtual text console #5 aka /dev/tty5); and in console mode it is also
> dependent on the underlying terminal for what, if anything, if will see
> for any particular key or key combination: for instance it is a well
> known (and intentional) fact that Shift makes no difference in
> conjunction with Ctrl-A to Ctrl-Z.
>
> Best regards,
> Tony.
> --
> World War Three can be averted by adherence to a strictly enforced
> dress code!

Re: Caps Lock indication

Albie Janse van Rensburg
Михаил Голубев wrote on 06/07/2011 04:01 PM:

> Hello to everyone.
>
> I want to write small function for my 'statusline' option, so it shows
> whether Caps Lock button was pressed or not. I work on laptop and "analog"
> led indicator is right under my wrist so I don't see it at all. Do you have
> any assumptions how this can be done?
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> Best regards,
> Golubev Mikhail

Rather remap Caps Lock to something else - on all PCs I use for more
than a couple of minutes per day, I change Caps Lock into Shift instead.
I do not require the use of Caps Lock, especially not when using Vim ;-)

Instructions for remapping Caps Lock differs based on your Operating
System/Terminal/Desktop Environment. Google should fetch it for you in
no time.

--

.----------------------------------------------------------.
|                Albie Janse van Rensburg                  |

I didn't believe in reincarnation in any of my other lives.  I don't see why
I should have to believe in it in this one.
                -- Strange de Jim

Re: Caps Lock indication

Bee-16

On Jul 6, 9:08 am, Михаил Голубев <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks for your attention and explanation Tony. So I will continue to
> guess Caps Lock state looking at mess on my screen :) and try to find
> another appropriate solution of my problem.
>
> Best regards,
> Golubev Mikhail
>
> On 6 июл, 19:01, Tony Mechelynck <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> > On 06/07/11 16:01, Михаил Голубев wrote:
>
> > > Hello to everyone.
>
> > > I want to write small function for my 'statusline' option, so it shows
> > > whether Caps Lock button was pressed or not. I work on laptop and
> > > "analog" led indicator is right under my wrist so I don't see it at all.
> > > Do you have any assumptions how this can be done?
>
> > > Thanks in advance!
>
> > > Best regards,
> > > Golubev Mikhail
>
> > Short answer: It can't.
>
> > Long answer: Vim cannot tell the current Caps Lock / Shift Lock / Scroll
> > Lock state, it doesn't know when a key was released but only that it was
> > pressed, and it doesn't know the Shift / Scroll / Alt state except
> > sometimes (and not always in a way that vimscript can read) when some
> > "ordinary" key gets pressed. And to make everything even more complex,
> > there are some keys or key combinations that Vim never sees because they
> > are snatched away before it can get them (e.g. on KDE Ctrl-F7 means
> > "switch to virtual desktop #7", on Linux Ctrl-Alt-F5 means "switch to
> > virtual text console #5 aka /dev/tty5); and in console mode it is also
> > dependent on the underlying terminal for what, if anything, if will see
> > for any particular key or key combination: for instance it is a well
> > known (and intentional) fact that Shift makes no difference in
> > conjunction with Ctrl-A to Ctrl-Z.
>
> > Best regards,
> > Tony.
> > --
> > World War Three can be averted by adherence to a strictly enforced
> > dress code!

I have remapped Caps Lock on all of my machines, Mac, Linux, and WinXP
to the Control key. That solves two problems. Is that an option for
you?

-Bill

Re: Caps Lock indication

Nikolay Aleksandrovich Pavlov
Reply to message «Re: Caps Lock indication»,
sent 20:08:16 06 July 2011, Wednesday
by Михаил Голубев:

> Thanks for your attention and explanation Tony. So I will continue to
> guess Caps Lock state looking at mess on my screen :) and try to find
> another appropriate solution of my problem.
Answer «it can't» is false. While there is no possible system-independent
solutions in pure vimscript, system-dependent and/or not pure vimscript
solutions are possible: on linux (and any other system that uses X server), for
example, you can invoke `xset q' (if xset is installed) and parse its output to
get CapsLock state; maybe there is also some `file' in /proc or /sys which can
be used for this purpose (I don't know for sure) (if it is, then you could write
faster pure vimscript system-dependent solution). It also is not impossible that
some python/perl/ruby/lua/... package contains cross-platform function
getCapsLockState.

You should seek appropriate solution in this direction.

> Thanks for your attention and explanation Tony. So I will continue to
> guess Caps Lock state looking at mess on my screen :) and try to find
> another appropriate solution of my problem.
>
> Best regards,
> Golubev Mikhail
>
> On 6 июл, 19:01, Tony Mechelynck <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > On 06/07/11 16:01, Михаил Голубев wrote:
> > > Hello to everyone.
> > >
> > > I want to write small function for my 'statusline' option, so it shows
> > > whether Caps Lock button was pressed or not. I work on laptop and
> > > "analog" led indicator is right under my wrist so I don't see it at
> > > all. Do you have any assumptions how this can be done?
> > >
> > > Thanks in advance!
> > >
> > > Best regards,
> > > Golubev Mikhail
> >
> > Short answer: It can't.
> >
> > Long answer: Vim cannot tell the current Caps Lock / Shift Lock / Scroll
> > Lock state, it doesn't know when a key was released but only that it was
> > pressed, and it doesn't know the Shift / Scroll / Alt state except
> > sometimes (and not always in a way that vimscript can read) when some
> > "ordinary" key gets pressed. And to make everything even more complex,
> > there are some keys or key combinations that Vim never sees because they
> > are snatched away before it can get them (e.g. on KDE Ctrl-F7 means
> > "switch to virtual desktop #7", on Linux Ctrl-Alt-F5 means "switch to
> > virtual text console #5 aka /dev/tty5); and in console mode it is also
> > dependent on the underlying terminal for what, if anything, if will see
> > for any particular key or key combination: for instance it is a well
> > known (and intentional) fact that Shift makes no difference in
> > conjunction with Ctrl-A to Ctrl-Z.
> >
> > Best regards,
> > Tony.
> > --
> > World War Three can be averted by adherence to a strictly enforced
> > dress code!

Re: Caps Lock indication

Михаил Голубев
Nice advices! Thanks a lot!

I did a bit of googling and I think it's time come to dismiss this naughty key)

Best regards,
Mikhail Golubev

2011/7/6 ZyX <[hidden email]>
> [...]

> > there are some keys or key combinations that Vim never sees because they
> > are snatched away before it can get them (e.g. on KDE Ctrl-F7 means
> > "switch to virtual desktop #7", on Linux Ctrl-Alt-F5 means "switch to
> > virtual text console #5 aka /dev/tty5); and in console mode it is also
> > dependent on the underlying terminal for what, if anything, if will see
> > for any particular key or key combination: for instance it is a well
> > known (and intentional) fact that Shift makes no difference in
> > conjunction with Ctrl-A to Ctrl-Z.
> >
> > Best regards,
> > Tony.
> > --
> > World War Three can be averted by adherence to a strictly enforced
> > dress code!

Re: Caps Lock indication

Nikolay Aleksandrovich Pavlov
Reply to message «Re: Caps Lock indication»,
sent 21:53:33 06 July 2011, Wednesday
by Михаил Голубев:

Yes, replacing caps lock with something more useful is the best solution for me:
I have left control there (and Esc on `real' left control). First is done by
ctrl:nocaps xkb option, second by line `keycode 37 = Escape' in ~/.Xmodmap (on
your machine number after `keycode' may differ).

Of course, this works only for X server. I don't know any windows or mac
solutions for this problem.

> I did a bit of googling and I think it's time come to dismiss this naughty
> key)
>
> Best regards,
> Mikhail Golubev
>
> 2011/7/6 ZyX <[hidden email]>
>
> > Reply to message <<Re: Caps Lock indication>>,
> > sent 20:08:16 06 July 2011, Wednesday
> >
> > by Михаил Голубев:
> > > Thanks for your attention and explanation Tony. So I will continue to
> > > guess Caps Lock state looking at mess on my screen :) and try to find
> > > another appropriate solution of my problem.
> >
> > Answer <<it can't>> is false. While there is no possible
> > system-independent solutions in pure vimscript, system-dependent and/or
> > not pure vimscript solutions are possible: on linux (and any other
> > system that uses X server), for
> > example, you can invoke `xset q' (if xset is installed) and parse its
> > output to
> > get CapsLock state; maybe there is also some `file' in /proc or /sys
> > which can
> > be used for this purpose (I don't know for sure) (if it is, then you
> > could write
> > faster pure vimscript system-dependent solution). It also is not
> > impossible that
> > some python/perl/ruby/lua/... package contains cross-platform function
> > getCapsLockState.
> >
> > You should seek appropriate solution in this direction.

Re: Caps Lock indication

Benjamin Fritz

On Jul 6, 9:01 am, Михаил Голубев <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hello to everyone.
>
> I want to write small function for my 'statusline' option, so it shows
> whether Caps Lock button was pressed or not. I work on laptop and "analog"
> led indicator is right under my wrist so I don't see it at all. Do you have
> any assumptions how this can be done?
>
> Thanks in advance!

I use this instead of capslock:

http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Insert-mode_only_Caps_Lock

With this, I DO get an indication of when it is active, but even
better, I am able to automatically leave caps-lock mode when I leave
insert mode!

Re: Caps Lock indication

Bee-16

On Jul 6, 11:20 am, ZyX <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Reply to message «Re: Caps Lock indication»,
> sent 21:53:33 06 July 2011, Wednesday
> by Михаил Голубев:
>
> Yes, replacing caps lock with something more useful is the best solution for me:
> I have left control there (and Esc on `real' left control). First is done by
> ctrl:nocaps xkb option, second by line `keycode 37 = Escape' in ~/.Xmodmap (on
> your machine number after `keycode' may differ).
>
> Of course, this works only for X server. I don't know any windows or mac
> solutions for this problem.

On the Mac it is in System Preferences:

Apple Menu > System Preferences > Keyboard & Mouse > Keyboard >
Modifier Keys > Caps Lock Key: > Control

-Bill

Re: Caps Lock indication

Erik Christiansen
On 06.07.11 21:53, Михаил Голубев wrote:
> Nice advices! Thanks a lot!
>
> I did a bit of googling and I think it's time come to dismiss this naughty
> key)

Especially on laptops, mapping it to escape is a significant
convenience, because escape is usually tiny and far away. Eliminating
CapsLock is a useful bonus.

On a couple of laptops, and two desktops, I've done it like this:

       To change CAPS_LOCK to ESCAPE, put into ~/.Xmodmap:
keycode 0x42 =  Escape
clear Lock                             # Disable Caps-Lock

In nearly a decade without it, I'm yet to find a need for CapsLock.
(There were quite a few capitalised token names in some yacc I typed in
the last few hours, but the left little finger handles that without
thought.)

Erik

--
Habit is habit, and not to be flung out of the window by any man, but
coaxed down-stairs a step at a time.

Re: Caps Lock indication

Anthony Campbell-3
On 07 Jul 2011, Erik Christiansen wrote:

> On 06.07.11 21:53, Михаил Голубев wrote:
> > Nice advices! Thanks a lot!
> >
> > I did a bit of googling and I think it's time come to dismiss this naughty
> > key)
>
> Especially on laptops, mapping it to escape is a significant
> convenience, because escape is usually tiny and far away. Eliminating
> CapsLock is a useful bonus.
>
> On a couple of laptops, and two desktops, I've done it like this:
>
>        To change CAPS_LOCK to ESCAPE, put into ~/.Xmodmap:
> keycode 0x42 =  Escape
> clear Lock                             # Disable Caps-Lock
>
> In nearly a decade without it, I'm yet to find a need for CapsLock.
> (There were quite a few capitalised token names in some yacc I typed in
> the last few hours, but the left little finger handles that without
> thought.)
>
> Erik

I do the same on my desktop and three laptops. For some reason .Xmodmap
wasn't working for me so I put it in .xinitrc, along with various other
key remappings.

Anthony

--
Anthony Campbell - [hidden email]
http://www.acampbell.org.uk - sample my ebooks at

Re: Caps Lock indication

Alexandre Provencio

On Wed, Jul 6, 2011 at 11:01 AM, Михаил Голубев <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello to everyone.

I want to write small function for my 'statusline' option, so it shows whether Caps Lock button was pressed or not. I work on laptop and "analog" led indicator is right under my wrist so I don't see it at all. Do you have any assumptions how this can be done?
An option is installing an indicator for that on your OS. If on Ubuntu, http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2010/09/indicator-keylock-ubuntu/.

Thanks in advance!

Best regards,
Golubev Mikhail