Quantcast

Change horizontal to vertical splits?

Thomas Allen

I generally prefer horizontal splits to vertical splits. Is there a
way to take two open, horizontal splits and show them as verticals
instead?

Re: Change horizontal to vertical splits?

Gary Johnson

On 2008-12-17, 703designs wrote:
> I generally prefer horizontal splits to vertical splits. Is there a
> way to take two open, horizontal splits and show them as verticals
> instead?

   :help CTRL-W_K

and scroll up to the preceding paragraph which introduces that
family of commands.

You can also precede a command that performs a split with ":vert" to
make the split open vertically.

   :help :vert

Regards,
Gary

Re: Change horizontal to vertical splits?

Charles Campbell

703designs wrote:
> I generally prefer horizontal splits to vertical splits. Is there a
> way to take two open, horizontal splits and show them as verticals
> instead?

Here's how to switch between the two following two layouts:

If you have vertically arranged windows, one atop another:
        windo wincmd H

If you have horizontally arranged windows, one beside another:
    windo wincmd K

Regards,
Chip Campbell

Re: Change horizontal to vertical splits?

Ben Fritz

On Dec 17, 1:14 pm, Gary Johnson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> You can also precede a command that performs a split with ":vert" to
> make the split open vertically.
>
>    :help :vert

It only works in one special case (the :diffsplit command) but also
see :help 'diffopt' where it explains the "vertical" option.

On 2008-12-18, fritzophrenic wrote:

> On Dec 17, 1:14 pm, Gary Johnson <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > You can also precede a command that performs a split with ":vert" to
> > make the split open vertically.
> >
> >    :help :vert
> >

> It only works in one special case (the :diffsplit command) but also
> see :help 'diffopt' where it explains the "vertical" option.

Did you really mean to write that :vert _only_ works as a prefix to
:diffsplit?  That's not true.  It works as a prefix to several
commands including :new, :split, :sfind and :help, to name a few.

Regards,
Gary