Changing Word with Yanked Word

Previous Topic Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Changing Word with Yanked Word

Parag Bhatt [C]

Hi,

 

I am looking for a quick way to change a word(cw?) with one that was yanked (yw).  I do not want to enter insert mode, and would like to do it in command mode.

 

--PB

--
--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Changing Word with Yanked Word

arocker

> I am looking for a quick way to change a word(cw?) with one that was
> yanked (yw).  I do not want to enter insert mode, and would like to do it
> in command mode.
>

yw
move the cursor immediately before the word to change (however you wish)
p
2dw

is one way to do it.

--
--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Changing Word with Yanked Word

Erik Christiansen
In reply to this post by Parag Bhatt [C]
On 02.08.17 17:45, Parag Bhatt [C] wrote:
> I am looking for a quick way to change a word(cw?) with one that was
> yanked (yw).  I do not want to enter insert mode, and would like to do
> it in command mode.

With the cursor on the start of the target word, dw"0P will do it.
I admit that I had to look at the output of :registers to find which one
held the prior word. If used frequently, I'd be tempted to map it to
e.g. Alt-R.

Erik

--
--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Changing Word with Yanked Word

Michael Henry-5
On 08/03/2017 05:00 AM, Erik Christiansen wrote:

> On 02.08.17 17:45, Parag Bhatt [C] wrote:
>> I am looking for a quick way to change a word(cw?) with one
>> that was yanked (yw).  I do not want to enter insert mode,
>> and would like to do it in command mode.
>
> With the cursor on the start of the target word, dw"0P will do
> it.  I admit that I had to look at the output of :registers to
> find which one held the prior word. If used frequently, I'd be
> tempted to map it to e.g. Alt-R.
>
> Erik

I frequently use visual mode to select the word, then paste over
the selection from register 0.  Usually I don't want the
behavior of ``dw`` because that removes trailing spaces and I
typically have yanked only the replacement word (without
trailing spaces), so I select the word with ``ve`` and then
paste with ``"0P``.  Because it's a bit cumbersome to type the
``"0P``, I've mapped ``P`` in visual mode to put from register
0.  Here's the line from my .vimrc::

  " Put from most recent yank instead of scratch register.
  xnoremap P "0P

With the above mapping, I would press ``veP`` to replace the
word that starts under the cursor with the most recently yanked
word.  I find I use ``P`` in visual mode fairly often to replace
yanked lines or other pieces of text as well as just words.

Michael Henry

--
--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Changing Word with Yanked Word

Erik Christiansen
On 03.08.17 06:58, Michael Henry wrote:
> I frequently use visual mode to select the word, then paste over
> the selection from register 0.  Usually I don't want the
> behavior of ``dw`` because that removes trailing spaces and I
> typically have yanked only the replacement word (without
> trailing spaces),

Self-evidently, if de is used instead of dw to capture the replacing
word, then the same is used in the replacement action. But the OP did
state that he used dw.

Erik

--
--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
Loading...