Quantcast

Changing font for highlighted groups

Spiff
Hi. Are there any plans to implement font selection in highlights, as
in gvim/GTK2?

e.g. hi! Conceal font=STIXRegular:h14

Re: Changing font for highlighted groups

Tony Mechelynck
On Jul 2, 7:31 pm, Spiff <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi. Are there any plans to implement font selection in highlights, as
> in gvim/GTK2?
>
> e.g. hi! Conceal font=STIXRegular:h14

IIUC what is said under ":help highlight-font" you can use this in any
GUI vim (including MacVim), not only in gvim with GTK2 GUI, *BUT* for
any highlight group other than Menu and Tooltip:
- the font chosen should be a monospace font, and in gvim flavours
other than GTK2 it MUST be so
- the font chosen must have exactly the same pixel dimensions as the
default font, and this means the following:
  - exactly the same pixel width
  - exactly the same pixel height
  - exactly the same pixel distance between the bottom of the cell and
the bottom pixels of lovercase x
  - exactly the same pixel distance between the top of the cell and
the top pixels of lowercase x
  - exactly the same pixel distance (a signed integer, which may be
zero but doesn't have to) between the top of uppercase I and of
lowercase l

Because of these constraints, you will in general be better off
leaving the font unchanged (in MacVim, and in GTK2 gvim too) and
setting the other attributes (bold, italic, bg color, fg color, wavy
underlining color…)

As long as I am mayor of this city [Jersey City, New Jersey] the great
industries are secure.  We hear about constitutional rights, free
speech and the free press.  Every time I hear these words I say to
myself, "That man is a Red, that man is a Communist".  You never hear
real American talk like that.
                -- Frank Hague (1896-1956)

Re: Changing font for highlighted groups

Björn Winckler
On 2 July 2011 19:31, Spiff wrote:
> Hi. Are there any plans to implement font selection in highlights, as
> in gvim/GTK2?
>
> e.g. hi! Conceal font=STIXRegular:h14

I was not even aware of this feature.  It seems to work partially,
e.g. I can set the "font" property for the "Normal" highlight group in
a regular text document, but I have not been able to set e.g. the
"Comment" group to use a different font in an Objective-C file.

I'll put it on my todo list.

Björn

Re: Changing font for highlighted groups

rocketspops
Björn Winckler wrote
I was not even aware of this feature.  It seems to work partially,
e.g. I can set the "font" property for the "Normal" highlight group in
a regular text document, but I have not been able to set e.g. the
"Comment" group to use a different font in an Objective-C file.
I too have run into this issue. The font property works (though it seems a little buggy) with the "normal" highlight group, but not with any other.

Regarding the "buggy" ness: I've also encountered problems while setting the font attribute, though I admit it could be a lack of understanding on my part. But, if I try to use the font property to set a font that has spaces in it's name (e.g):

hl StatusLine font=Alto\ Mono\ Normal:h11 guifg=#444444 guibg=#2B2B2B

I get the following errors:

Error detected while processing /Users/rocketspops/.vim/colors/railscasts.vim:
line   29:
E416: missing equal sign: Normal:h11\ guifg=#C4C4C4 guibg=#2B2B2B
E235: Unknown font: Alto\

However, if I use a font that has no spaces in between names (e.g):

font=STIXGeneral:h11

Everything works as it should. I'm running MacVim snapshot 61 on OSX 10.7.

Any Ideas?