Closing tab pages through tab label context-menu

Closing tab pages through tab label context-menu

Peter Odding-3
Hi list,

I don't use the mouse much in Vim anymore but have nevertheless wondered
several times now why graphical Vim says the following when you
right-click a tab page label and click "Close" with a modified buffer:

E37: No write since last change (add ! to override)

I think the equivalent of ":confirm quit" would be more useful for those
few users who bother to use the tab page label context-menu. I realize
this is a minor detail in a keyboard oriented application but Vim is so
good that I can only find details to disagree with ;-)

  - Peter Odding

Re: Closing tab pages through tab label context-menu

Benjamin Fritz

On Jun 20, 2:59 pm, Peter Odding <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi list,
>
> I don't use the mouse much in Vim anymore but have nevertheless wondered
> several times now why graphical Vim says the following when you
> right-click a tab page label and click "Close" with a modified buffer:
>
> E37: No write since last change (add ! to override)
>
> I think the equivalent of ":confirm quit" would be more useful for those
> few users who bother to use the tab page label context-menu. I realize
> this is a minor detail in a keyboard oriented application but Vim is so
> good that I can only find details to disagree with ;-)

You could :set 'confirm' and you should have what you want.

Ben Fritz wrote:
> You could :set 'confirm' and you should have what you want.

Thanks for the hint, the 'confirm' option indeed does exactly what I had
in mind. Still a shame this isn't the default behavior when using the
context-menu, but I'll just add ':set confirm' to my ~/.vimrc and shut
up now :-)

  - Peter Odding