Color scheme

Bruce
Hi,
I go to the trouble of wrapping my vim invocation inside of a function
that adds "-i NONE" to the command line. I do this because somebody
thinks it's really cool to have dark purple or blue letters on a black
background. (Or sometimes pale yellow on white, but I don't use white
backgrounds, if I can avoid it.) I have other thoughts on that
subject. Anyway, that has worked fine for years. Not anymore. It seems
somebody thinks that this color combination is so great that everybody
has to suffer with it. I'd go back to plain vi, but it is not
supported anymore. SO, how can I force vim to never, ever try to
colorize my text ever again? Thank you.

 - Bruce

Re: Color scheme

Antony Scriven-3
On Sep 19, Bruce Korb wrote:

 > Hi,
 > I go to the trouble of wrapping my vim invocation inside
 > of a function that adds "-i NONE" to the command line.

I assume you mean -u?

 > I do this because somebody thinks it's really cool to
 > have dark purple or blue letters on a black background.
 > [...]

Vim thinks your terminal has colour capability, and is
guessing a light background.

It can't guess reliably, so to ensure it thinks you have
a dark background you can tell it with ":set background=dark".
You should see the legibility of the colours improve after
this.

 > I'd go back to plain vi, but it is not supported anymore.

I mean, if you like bugs that will never be fixed ... :-)

 > SO, how can I force vim to never, ever try to colorize my
 > text ever again? Thank you.

To tell Vim that no colours are available:

    set t_Co=0

You can add this to your command to invoke Vim:

    vim -u NONE -c 'set t_Co=0'

--Antony