Quantcast

Color syntax for local variables and user defined functions.

Color syntax for local variables and user defined functions.

shailesh_d
I have enabled syntax coloring with gvim and it works fine with 'c' keywords like 'if', 'else' etc.
However it does not work with a function or local variable defined by me. I have built 'tags' file again after modifying my files to no avail. What shud I do to enable color syntax for local variables, user defined functions etc.

Thanks in advance.

Here is a look at my .vimrc

"set tags=/vob/common_platform/dev/tags,/vob/dapivtt/tags
set tags=/vob/dapivtt/tags
syn on
"set guifont=Times_New_Roman:h28:cANSI
set warn
set showmode
set nocp
"filetype plugin on
"set Tlist_Ctags_Cmd=/vob/dapivtt/tags

" VIM Configuration File
" Author: Shailesh
"

" set UTF-8 encoding
 set enc=utf-8
 set fenc=utf-8
 set termencoding=utf-8
 " disable vi compatibility (emulation of old bugs)
 set nocompatible
 " use indentation of previous line
 set autoindent
 " use intelligent indentation for C
 set smartindent
 " configure tabwidth and insert spaces instead of tabs
 set tabstop=4        " tab width is 4 spaces
 set shiftwidth=4     " indent also with 4 spaces
 set expandtab        " expand tabs to spaces
 " wrap lines at 120 chars. 80 is somewaht antiquated with nowadays displays.
 set textwidth=120
 " turn syntax highlighting on
 set t_Co=256
 syntax on
 colorscheme summerfruit256
 " turn line numbers on
 set number
 " highlight matching braces
 set showmatch
 " intelligent comments
 set comments=sl:/*,mb:\ *,elx:\ */

 " Keyboard mappings
 map <F1> :previous<CR>  " map F1 to open previous buffer
 map <F2> :next<CR>      " map F2 to open next buffer

 " Install OmniCppComplete like described on http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/C++_code_completion
 " This offers intelligent C++ completion when typing '.' '->' or <C-o>
 " Load standard tag files
 set tags+=~/.vim/tags/cpp
 set tags+=~/.vim/tags/gl
 set tags+=~/.vim/tags/sdl
 set tags+=~/.vim/tags/qt4

 " Install DoxygenToolkit from http://www.vim.org/scripts/script.php?script_id=987
 let g:DoxygenToolkit_authorName="Gerhard Gappmeier <gerhard.gappmeier@ascolab.com>"

 " Enhanced keyboard mappings
 "
 " in normal mode F2 will save the file
 nmap <F2> :w<CR>
 " in insert mode F2 will exit insert, save, enters insert again
 imap <F2> <ESC>:w<CR>i
 " switch between header/source with F4
 map <F4> :e %:p:s,.h$,.X123X,:s,.cpp$,.h,:s,.X123X$,.cpp,<CR>
 " recreate tags file with F5
 map <F5> :!ctags -R ?c++-kinds=+p ?fields=+iaS ?extra=+q .<CR>
 " create doxygen comment
 map <F6> :Dox<CR>
 " build using makeprg with <F7>
 map <F7> :make<CR>
 " build using makeprg with <S-F7>
 map <S-F7> :make clean all<CR>
 " goto definition with F12
 map <F12> <C-]>
 " in diff mode we use the spell check keys for merging
 if &diff
   " diff settings
   map <M-Down> ]c
   map <M-Up> [c
   map <M-Left> do
   map <M-Right> dp
   map <F9> :new<CR>:read !svn diff<CR>:set syntax=diff buftype=nofile<CR>gg
 else
   " spell settings
   ":setlocal spell spelllang=en
   " set the spellfile - folders must exist
  "set spellfile=~/.vim/spellfile.add
   map <M-Down> ]s
   map <M-Up> [s

Re: Color syntax for local variables and user defined functions.

Ben Fritz

On May 4, 10:16 am, shailesh_d <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I have enabled syntax coloring with gvim and it works fine with 'c' keywords
> like 'if', 'else' etc.
> However it does not work with a function or local variable defined by me. I
> have built 'tags' file again after modifying my files to no avail. What shud
> I do to enable color syntax for local variables, user defined functions etc.

The built-in C syntax highlighting does not highlight your own
variables, etc. regardless of whether or not you have run Ctags.

For that, you will need an additional plugin. I think I remember
reading a post about "tag cloud" or something like that which will do
what you want. Search www.vim.org for a plugin or filetype plugin for
this.