Color tips for a new theme

David J Patrick-2
Hey there!
I've taken the liberty of banging together a wiki page describing my
approach to color selection, for new themes. I'd like some feedback, to
see if what is written makes sense, and then, hopefully, we can make one
according to this plan, to see if the formula works.

http://taskwarrior.org/boards/16/topics/show/235

djp

Re: Color tips for a new theme

Noel Henson
On Friday 16 October 2009, David J Patrick wrote:
> Hey there!
> I've taken the liberty of banging together a wiki page describing my
> approach to color selection, for new themes. I'd like some feedback, to
> see if what is written makes sense, and then, hopefully, we can make one
> according to this plan, to see if the formula works.
>
> http://taskwarrior.org/boards/16/topics/show/235
>
> djp

Taking liberties now, are we? Just kidding. VO will include the GREAT color
schemes by default. But, as you and I were discussing about the future
site, we should have an area where any registered user can upload their own
color schemes so everyone can share. So when VO is upgraded (beyond 0.4.0),
the best of those can be added to the VO distribution.

Thoughts?

Noel

Re: Color tips for a new theme

David J Patrick-2
Noel Henson wrote:
> Taking liberties now, are we?
Maybe "presumptuous" might be a closer charge, in attempting to inject
color theory into other peoples work. Did that page read like gibberish?
Or was it obvious what I was driving at ?? While I may not be entirely
capable of making a color scheme fir vim, I have found that applied
color theory in almost any situation (including this one) can have a
profound and pleasing effect. I don't even have a strong personal
aesthetic, but I can work with color spaces in several domains, and it's
basically a short cut to acceptable color environments.

  VO will include the GREAT color
> schemes by default.
I HOPE so, because I haven't seen an example yet. I can tolerate almost
any scheme, because I'm used to it, but a scheme that follows a design
based on theory, will almost always work for a broad audience, and you
can apply it to almost any color as a starting point and it will work.
I can even imagine a process by which one could actually create a
comprehensive theme, that was pleasing to the eye, by choosing one or
two colors with a color-picker tool, y'know, the little eye-dropper
applet. BAM! a 256 color vimoutliner scheme appears based on those
choices. Don't like it ? choose two other colors. Really like it ?
Upload to vimoutliner.org/upload.. or whatever.

  But, as you and I were discussing about the future
> site, we should have an area where any registered user can upload their own
> color schemes so everyone can share. So when VO is upgraded (beyond 0.4.0),
> the best of those can be added to the VO distribution.
To start with we need just 4 nice ones;
16 color light
16 color dark
256color light
256 color dark
I think a screenshot gallery is needed, too.

> Thoughts?
We should formalize the highlighting syntax so that it passes through to
the common vim schemes, who did that recently ?
djp

Re: Color tips for a new theme

Noel Henson
On Friday 16 October 2009, David J Patrick wrote:

> Noel Henson wrote:
> > Taking liberties now, are we?
>
> Maybe "presumptuous" might be a closer charge, in attempting to inject
> color theory into other peoples work. Did that page read like gibberish?
> Or was it obvious what I was driving at ?? While I may not be entirely
> capable of making a color scheme fir vim, I have found that applied
> color theory in almost any situation (including this one) can have a
> profound and pleasing effect. I don't even have a strong personal
> aesthetic, but I can work with color spaces in several domains, and it's
> basically a short cut to acceptable color environments.
>
>   VO will include the GREAT color
>
> > schemes by default.
>
> I HOPE so, because I haven't seen an example yet. I can tolerate almost
> any scheme, because I'm used to it, but a scheme that follows a design
> based on theory, will almost always work for a broad audience, and you
> can apply it to almost any color as a starting point and it will work.
> I can even imagine a process by which one could actually create a
> comprehensive theme, that was pleasing to the eye, by choosing one or
> two colors with a color-picker tool, y'know, the little eye-dropper
> applet. BAM! a 256 color vimoutliner scheme appears based on those
> choices. Don't like it ? choose two other colors. Really like it ?
> Upload to vimoutliner.org/upload.. or whatever.
>
>   But, as you and I were discussing about the future
>
> > site, we should have an area where any registered user can upload
> > their own color schemes so everyone can share. So when VO is upgraded
> > (beyond 0.4.0), the best of those can be added to the VO distribution.
>
> To start with we need just 4 nice ones;
> 16 color light
> 16 color dark
> 256color light
> 256 color dark
> I think a screenshot gallery is needed, too.

Why the 16-color schemes? I believe that even most terminal emulators
support 256 colors; not that I care.

> > Thoughts?
>
> We should formalize the highlighting syntax so that it passes through to
> the common vim schemes, who did that recently ?

I don't know what you mean by "formalize the highlighting syntax". We are
using the mechanism built into vim.

> djp

Noel

Re: Color tips for a new theme

David J Patrick-2
Noel Henson wrote:

> On Friday 16 October 2009, David J Patrick wrote:
>> To start with we need just 4 nice ones;
>> 16 color light
>> 16 color dark
>> 256color light
>> 256 color dark
>> I think a screenshot gallery is needed, too.
>
> Why the 16-color schemes? I believe that even most terminal emulators
> support 256 colors; not that I care.
One of the reasons people like this sort of application, is that you can
ssh in from anywhere and "go to town". Some of those poor souls don't
have 256 colors, and vimoutliner should still be perfectly usable for
them, too.

>>> Thoughts?
>> We should formalize the highlighting syntax so that it passes through to
>> the common vim schemes, who did that recently ?
>
> I don't know what you mean by "formalize the highlighting syntax". We are
> using the mechanism built into vim.
It was Bill Powell who recently gave us a tweak to vo_base.vim that
allowed vimoutliner to use any theme. If I understand correctly (which I
may not) the tweak was to use common element names for parts of an
outline, instead of vo specific names. This should be default behavior
and convention.

how do you like the mock-ups ?
djp