Colors on mac

Ven Tadipatri
Hi,
   I'm sure this question has been asked several times --but I'm using
the terminal for the Mac OS X, and I would like to have a dark
background with well, light colors on the foreground. But I would also
like the colors on the foreground to be easy to read (not dark blue on
dark black or light yellow on white).   How do I do this?
   There is a "pro" and a "homebrew" terminal for the Mac.  I tried
playing around with the "desert" and "wombat" color scheme,
but the problem for the Mac is the blue and yellow colors -- they
always seem painful to read.
   Does anyone use the "pro/homebrew terminal" for the Mac OS X?  Do
you change the LSCOLORS variable on your terminal? Do you redefine
what RGB values correspond to yellow and blue are in the terminal? Or
do you add a new color to ~/.vim/colors and somehow tweak the colors
to look right?
  These are types of files I would like to have proper colors:  *.cpp,
*.h, .bashrc and .vimrc files.

Thanks,
Ven

Re: Colors on mac

Guido Van Hoecke-2
Hi,

On Tue, Feb 7, 2012 at 04:53, Ven Tadipatri <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>   I'm sure this question has been asked several times --but I'm using
> the terminal for the Mac OS X, and I would like to have a dark
> background with well, light colors on the foreground. But I would also
> like the colors on the foreground to be easy to read (not dark blue on
> dark black or light yellow on white).   How do I do this?
>   There is a "pro" and a "homebrew" terminal for the Mac.  I tried
> playing around with the "desert" and "wombat" color scheme,
> but the problem for the Mac is the blue and yellow colors -- they
> always seem painful to read.
>   Does anyone use the "pro/homebrew terminal" for the Mac OS X?  Do
> you change the LSCOLORS variable on your terminal? Do you redefine
> what RGB values correspond to yellow and blue are in the terminal? Or
> do you add a new color to ~/.vim/colors and somehow tweak the colors
> to look right?

You may want to experiment with colorschemes, e.g.

    :colorscheme murphy

gives well readable / viewable colors.

I hope this helps,

Guido

--
Ever get the feeling that the world's
on tape and one of the reels is missing?

http://vanhoecke.org ... and go2 places!

Re: Colors on mac

Zvezdan Petkovic

On Feb 6, 2012, at 10:53 PM, Ven Tadipatri wrote:

>   I'm sure this question has been asked several times --but I'm using
> the terminal for the Mac OS X, and I would like to have a dark
> background with well, light colors on the foreground. But I would also
> like the colors on the foreground to be easy to read (not dark blue on
> dark black or light yellow on white).   How do I do this?

- Make a duplicate of the Pro terminal theme (use gear action menu).
- Name it, e.g., Personal.
- Change font to Menlo 14 pt (a full Unicode anti-aliased font)
- Switch OFF "Use bold fonts"
- Switch ON "Use bright colors for bold text"
- Adjust any other settings and make this your default theme.
- Make sure xterm-color is set in advanced options
  (it's on by default for Pro theme, so its duplicate should have it).

> Do you change the LSCOLORS variable on your terminal?

Yes.  My settings are:

CLICOLOR=1
LSCOLORS=ExFxCxDxBxegedabagacad
export CLICOLOR LSCOLORS

> Do you redefine what RGB values correspond to yellow and blue are in the terminal?

No.  I only change the text color in terminal preferences to light grey (75% brightness) so that it's different from the bold text color (white).  I also switch off transparency (i.e., set opacity to 100%) for sharper text.

> Or do you add a new color to ~/.vim/colors and somehow tweak the colors to look right?

Only for GUI (i.e., MacVim) in my ~/.vim/colors/personal.vim theme.
Make sure to set background=dark in your vim settings or color theme.

>  These are types of files I would like to have proper colors:  *.cpp,
> *.h, .bashrc and .vimrc files.

The "bold off/bright colors on" setting I described above works well for me with all sorts of files.  I think that's all, but I might be forgetting something.  Try it and I hope it helps.

Best regards,

        Zvezdan Petkovic