Command-line Window crashing Vim after v8.0.0159

Command-line Window crashing Vim after v8.0.0159

Matthew Desjardins
After 8.0.159, opening the command-line window causes my Vim to crash.  I've tried with using "-N -u NONE -U NONE", with both Windows 7 and Windows 10 Vim and Gvim, as well as with various Cygwin-compiled Vims, all of which crash when using the command-line window.  Can someone help?

Re: Command-line Window crashing Vim after v8.0.0159

Matthew Desjardins
With a littler more background on reproducing, I've only gotten crashes to occur after opening the command-line window with <c-f> on a command line that already has text.  The resulting window won't actually have that text on the current line as it should, and attempting to insert text from there will then cause a crash.

Re: Command-line Window crashing Vim after v8.0.0159

Dominique Pellé
Matthew Desjardins wrote:

> With a littler more background on reproducing, I've only
> gotten crashes to occur after opening the command-line
> window with <c-f> on a command line that already has text.
> The resulting window won't actually have that text on the
> current line as it should, and attempting to insert text from
> there will then cause a crash.

I can't reproduce it so far. Perhaps you have a setting that
triggers it. Can you try to see if it happens with: vim -u NONE?
It it does not happen with vim -u NONE, can you narrow down
your setting in .vimrc that triggers the bug?

Regards
Dominique

On Tuesday, January 10, 2017 at 4:11:47 PM UTC-5, Dominique Pelle wrote:

> Matthew Desjardins wrote:
>
> > With a littler more background on reproducing, I've only
> > gotten crashes to occur after opening the command-line
> > window with <c-f> on a command line that already has text.
> > The resulting window won't actually have that text on the
> > current line as it should, and attempting to insert text from
> > there will then cause a crash.
>
> I can't reproduce it so far. Perhaps you have a setting that
> triggers it. Can you try to see if it happens with: vim -u NONE?
> It it does not happen with vim -u NONE, can you narrow down
> your setting in .vimrc that triggers the bug?
>
> Regards
> Dominique
It does occur with vim -u NONE (as in OP)

Matthew Desjardins wrote:

> After 8.0.159, opening the command-line window causes my Vim to crash.
> I've tried with using "-N -u NONE -U NONE", with both Windows 7 and
> Windows 10 Vim and Gvim, as well as with various Cygwin-compiled Vims,
> all of which crash when using the command-line window.  Can someone
> help?

Try 8.0.0160.

244. You use more than 20 passwords.

On Tuesday, January 10, 2017 at 5:13:41 PM UTC-5, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

> Matthew Desjardins wrote:
>
> > After 8.0.159, opening the command-line window causes my Vim to crash.
> > I've tried with using "-N -u NONE -U NONE", with both Windows 7 and
> > Windows 10 Vim and Gvim, as well as with various Cygwin-compiled Vims,
> > all of which crash when using the command-line window.  Can someone
> > help?
>
> Try 8.0.0160.

> 244. You use more than 20 passwords.
>
>  /// Bram Moolenaar -- [hidden email] -- http://www.Moolenaar.net   \\\
> ///        sponsor Vim, vote for features -- http://www.Vim.org/sponsor/ \\\
> \\\  an exciting new programming language -- http://www.Zimbu.org        ///
>  \\\            help me help AIDS victims -- http://ICCF-Holland.org    ///
No difference in 8.0.0160 (and 170).

Re: Command-line Window crashing Vim after v8.0.0159

Bram Moolenaar

Matthew Desjardins wrote:

> > > After 8.0.159, opening the command-line window causes my Vim to crash.
> > > I've tried with using "-N -u NONE -U NONE", with both Windows 7 and
> > > Windows 10 Vim and Gvim, as well as with various Cygwin-compiled Vims,
> > > all of which crash when using the command-line window.  Can someone
> > > help?
> >
> > Try 8.0.0160.
>
> No difference in 8.0.0160 (and 170).

Hmm, what exactly do you type?
Does it still happen without -N?  If not, try renaming your .viminfo
file, maybe it contains something harmful.

245. You use Real Audio to listen to a radio station from a distant
     city rather than turn on your stereo system.

On Wednesday, January 11, 2017 at 4:53:10 AM UTC-5, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

> > > Try 8.0.0160.
> >
> > No difference in 8.0.0160 (and 170).
>
> Hmm, what exactly do you type?
> Does it still happen without -N?  If not, try renaming your .viminfo
> file, maybe it contains something harmful.

> 245. You use Real Audio to listen to a radio station from a distant
>      city rather than turn on your stereo system.
>
>  /// Bram Moolenaar -- [hidden email] -- http://www.Moolenaar.net   \\\
> ///        sponsor Vim, vote for features -- http://www.Vim.org/sponsor/ \\\
> \\\  an exciting new programming language -- http://www.Zimbu.org        ///
>  \\\            help me help AIDS victims -- http://ICCF-Holland.org    ///
Typing anything did it, and it made no difference with or without -N and with or without a .viminfo present.  However I could only reproduce this on Windows machines.

All that being said, I no longer experience this after 8.0.0172