Compiling C programs in MacVim

february71
Hello

I am new to programming, I have written some c files in MacVim, and have also downloaded iTerm2 but not sure how to compile and run my programs. At the moment I don't want to use Xcode or any other IDE - sort of a course requirement. I assume I will have to download gcc but not sure how to exactly go about it...any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

feb71

Re: Compiling C programs in MacVim

Simon Quantrill
Gcc under cli but you need to install xcode first i belive

Sent from my iPhone

On 28 Mar 2013, at 07:51, february71 <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello
>
> I am new to programming, I have written some c files in MacVim, and have also downloaded iTerm2 but not sure how to compile and run my programs. At the moment I don't want to use Xcode or any other IDE - sort of a course requirement. I assume I will have to download gcc but not sure how to exactly go about it...any help would be appreciated.
>
> Cheers
>
> feb71

> ---

Re: Compiling C programs in MacVim

darkweasel
Am 2013-03-28 07:51, schrieb february71:
> Hello
>
> I am new to programming, I have written some c files in MacVim, and have also downloaded iTerm2 but not sure how to compile and run my programs. At the moment I don't want to use Xcode or any other IDE - sort of a course requirement. I assume I will have to download gcc but not sure how to exactly go about it...any help would be appreciated.
>
> Cheers
>
> feb71

Do you just not want to use Xcode as an IDE, or do you have a problem
with installing Xcode?

I installed GCC and LLVM/clang from within Xcode
(Preferences-Downloads-Command Line Tools), but I don't use it for
anything else. I believe that this is the preferred way to install these
compilers on OS X; at least it is the one recommended by MacPorts.

regards

Re: Compiling C programs in MacVim

David Henderson

On 27 Mar 2013, at 23:51, february71 wrote:

> I am new to programming, I have written some c files in MacVim, and have also downloaded iTerm2 but not sure how to compile and run my programs. At the moment I don't want to use Xcode or any other IDE - sort of a course requirement. I assume I will have to download gcc but not sure how to exactly go about it...any help would be appreciated.

Try <https://developer.apple.com/downloads/index.action> where one can download just the command line tools if one is on Lion or Mountain Lion.

David P Henderson
--
"A fanatic is one who redoubles his effort when he has forgotten his aim."
    -- George Santayana