Compiling a vim.app 7.1

Nicholas Cole
I'm trying to compile vim 7.1 into a vim.app.  Everything I can find in the documentation and online suggests that it shouldn't be more complicated than a simple ./configure && make && make install sequence - but when I do that I end up not with a nice OS X vim.app package, but with a bsd/linux-like install.

Have I missed a configuration option?

Best wishes,

Nicholas

Re: Compiling a vim.app 7.1

Nico Weber-3

Hi,

> I'm trying to compile vim 7.1 into a vim.app.  Everything I can
> find in the documentation and online suggests that it shouldn't be
> more complicated than a simple ./configure && make && make install
> sequence - but when I do that I end up not with a nice OS X vim.app
> package, but with a bsd/linux-like install.
>
> Have I missed a configuration option?

No. For me, running ./configure && make creates vim.app in the src
folder. I "installed" it by dragging it to the /Applications folder.

Nico

Re: Compiling a vim.app 7.1

Nicholas Cole

On 8/16/07, Nico Weber <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi,

> I'm trying to compile vim 7.1 into a vim.app.  Everything I can
> find in the documentation and online suggests that it shouldn't be
> more complicated than a simple ./configure && make && make install
> sequence - but when I do that I end up not with a nice OS X vim.app
> package, but with a bsd/linux-like install.
>
> Have I missed a configuration option?

No. For me, running ./configure && make creates vim.app in the src
folder. I "installed" it by dragging it to the /Applications folder.

How odd. Mine is just refusing to do that.

Re: Compiling a vim.app 7.1

Nico Weber-3

> > I'm trying to compile vim 7.1 into a vim.app.
> > Have I missed a configuration option?
>
> No. For me, running ./configure && make creates vim.app in the src
> folder. I "installed" it by dragging it to the /Applications folder.
>

> How odd. Mine is just refusing to do that.

I g ot my source from

     svn co https://vim.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/vim/vim7

Where did you get yours?

Re: Compiling a vim.app 7.1

Nicholas Cole

On 8/17/07, Nico Weber <[hidden email]> wrote:

I g ot my source from

     svn co https://vim.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/vim/vim7

Where did you get yours?

Re: Compiling a vim.app 7.1

Nico Weber-3

Hi,

> Where did you get yours?
>
>  vim.org/download.php

I got vim-7.1.tar.gz from there, and sure enough, it doesn't build a
mac version. I went through the output of configure and noted that
this was due to the line

     checking if Darwin files are there... no, Darwin support disabled

Searching for this line in auto/configure, I saw that this check
simply looks for 'os_macosx.c' in the src dir, which is not included
in this tarball. I went back to the download page and got vim-7.1-
extra.tar.gz which "contains source and runtime files that are not
used on Unix". I untarred this into the same directory where the
other files were, and now it worked as expected.

Note: You probably want to pass at least --enable-multibyte to the
configure script.

Bye,
Nico

Re: Compiling a vim.app 7.1

Nicholas Cole
Dear Nico,

Thanks for helping with that.

Best wishes,

Re: Compiling a vim.app 7.1

Axel Kielhorn

Am 17.08.2007 um 12:58 schrieb Nico Weber:

> Hi,
>
>> Where did you get yours?
>>
>>  vim.org/download.php
>
> I got vim-7.1.tar.gz from there, and sure enough, it doesn't build a
> mac version. I went through the output of configure and noted that
> this was due to the line
>
>      checking if Darwin files are there... no, Darwin support disabled

You need the extra archive, it contains the Darwin support.

Axel

Re: Compiling a vim.app 7.1

Nico Weber-3

> You need the extra archive, it contains the Darwin support.

Thanks for the help, but that's what I wrote in the second half of my
mail ;-)