Conditionally apply a highlight group WITHIN the statusline/tabline setting.

Conditionally apply a highlight group WITHIN the statusline/tabline setting.

jrfranklin
We usually apply highlight groups in the statusline or tabline with the %#...# construct.

Since a condition cannot be used (I think) to choose the highlight group, plugin authors often resort to complex autocommand listings to keep these elements up-to-date.

A construct like %#{...}# where the "..." is an expression returning a string naming a highlight group would greatly simplify a number of beautiful plugins.

Is there something I'm missing?  Would this feature be too complex to be worth it?