Could not load library msvcrt-ruby240.dll

Could not load library msvcrt-ruby240.dll

Frantz Baustier-2

Hello,

I have install the last version of the x86 version of vim 8 and I have an issue whith the ruby integration.

My plugins like LustyExplorer can’t work and when I enter :ruby –version I got the following error :

E370: Could not load library msvcrt-ruby240.dll

E266 : Sorry, this command is disabled, the Ruby Library could not be loaded.

When I run :version I have : +ruby/dyn

And -DDYNAMIC_RUBY -DDYNAMIC_RUBY_VER=24 -

DDYNAMIC_RUBY_DLL=\"msvcrt-ruby240.dll\"

Ruby is install in C:\Ruby24 and the bin folder containing the msvcrt-ruby240.dll is in %PATH%.

I also tried to put in my vimrc file set rubydll="C:\Ruby24\bin\msvcrt-ruby240.dll" but I got the following error :

E370: Could not load Library

E266 : Sorry, this command is disabled, the Ruby Library could not be loaded.

Both ruby and vim are x86.

I am working on windows 10.

Thanks for your help.

Re: Could not load library msvcrt-ruby240.dll

Christian Brabandt

On Mi, 21 Feb 2018, Frantz Baustier wrote:

> Hello,
>

> I have install the last version of the x86 version of vim 8 and I have an issue whith the ruby integration.
>
> My plugins like LustyExplorer can’t work and when I enter :ruby –version I got the following error :
>

> E370: Could not load library msvcrt-ruby240.dll
>
> E266 : Sorry, this command is disabled, the Ruby Library could not be loaded.
>

> When I run :version I have : +ruby/dyn
>
> And -DDYNAMIC_RUBY -DDYNAMIC_RUBY_VER=24 -
>
> DDYNAMIC_RUBY_DLL=\"msvcrt-ruby240.dll\"
>

> Ruby is install in C:\Ruby24 and the bin folder containing the msvcrt-ruby240.dll is in %PATH%.
>
> I also tried to put in my vimrc file set rubydll="C:\Ruby24\bin\msvcrt-ruby240.dll" but I got the following error :

did you actually use :set rubydll="..."

That does not work, since the `"` is the command character in vim.

> E370: Could not load Library
>
> E266 : Sorry, this command is disabled, the Ruby Library could not be loaded.
>

> Both ruby and vim are x86.
>
> I am working on windows 10.

Are you sure, both applications are 32bit?

BTW: please do not ask the same question at the same time at several
forums:
https://github.com/vim/vim/issues/2660
https://stackoverflow.com/q/48915343/789222
and here

I do not like to have to write the same answer everywhere.

Best,
Christian

Re: Could not load library msvcrt-ruby240.dll

Frantz Baustier-2

> Le 22 févr. 2018 à 07:53, Christian Brabandt <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>

>> On Mi, 21 Feb 2018, Frantz Baustier wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>>

>> I have install the last version of the x86 version of vim 8 and I have an issue whith the ruby integration.
>>
>> My plugins like LustyExplorer can’t work and when I enter :ruby –version I got the following error :
>>

>> E370: Could not load library msvcrt-ruby240.dll
>>
>> E266 : Sorry, this command is disabled, the Ruby Library could not be loaded.
>>

>> When I run :version I have : +ruby/dyn
>>
>> And -DDYNAMIC_RUBY -DDYNAMIC_RUBY_VER=24 -
>>
>> DDYNAMIC_RUBY_DLL=\"msvcrt-ruby240.dll\"
>>

>> Ruby is install in C:\Ruby24 and the bin folder containing the msvcrt-ruby240.dll is in %PATH%.
>>
>> I also tried to put in my vimrc file set rubydll="C:\Ruby24\bin\msvcrt-ruby240.dll" but I got the following error :
>
> did you actually use :set rubydll="..."
>
> That does not work, since the `"` is the command character in vim.

You’re right! But I tried with ‘ and IT doen’t work, sale error message

>> E370: Could not load Library
>>
>> E266 : Sorry, this command is disabled, the Ruby Library could not be loaded.
>>

>> Both ruby and vim are x86.
>>
>> I am working on windows 10.
>
> Are you sure, both applications are 32bit?

Yes I am sure.

> BTW: please do not ask the same question at the same time at several
> forums:
> https://github.com/vim/vim/issues/2660
> https://stackoverflow.com/q/48915343/789222
> and here
>
> I do not like to have to write the same answer everywhere.

Sorry for that but I’m working on this issue for 2 weeks. I will post the answer by myself.

> Best,
> Christian

Thank you

On Do, 22 Feb 2018, Frantz Baustier wrote:

> >> Ruby is install in C:\Ruby24 and the bin folder containing the msvcrt-ruby240.dll is in %PATH%.
> >>
> >> I also tried to put in my vimrc file set rubydll="C:\Ruby24\bin\msvcrt-ruby240.dll" but I got the following error :
> >
> > did you actually use :set rubydll="..."
> >
> > That does not work, since the `"` is the command character in vim.
>
> You’re right! But I tried with ‘ and IT doen’t work, sale error message

Do not use quotes at all when using :set
:set has its own quoting rules, you need to escape whitespace, bars,
commas and backslashes. So you would have to use something like this:
:set rubydll=C:\\Ruby24\\bin\\msvcrt-ruby240.dll

It is usually easier to avoid all those escaping issues by using the
:let form (:h :let-option):

:let &rubydll='C:\Ruby24\bin\msvcrt-ruby240.dll'

However make sure to use single quotation marks, as otherwise
backslashes have to be doubled and might mean something different than
intended (see :h expr-quote)

BTW: Have you tried the answer from Ken (quoting from
https://github.com/vim/vim-win32-installer/issues/47#issuecomment-366912233)

,----
| Could you try adding C:\Ruby24\bin and also
| C:\Ruby24\bin\ruby_builtin_dlls to the PATH environment? (If you use
| 64-bit Vim, replace Ruby24 with Ruby24-x64.)
`----

Best,
Christian

Re: Could not load library msvcrt-ruby240.dll

Ni Va
Le jeudi 22 février 2018 09:33:23 UTC+1, Christian Brabandt a écrit :

> > > did you actually use :set rubydll="..."
> > >
> > > That does not work, since the `"` is the command character in vim.
> >
> > You’re right! But I tried with ‘ and IT doen’t work, sale error message
>
> Do not use quotes at all when using :set
> :set has its own quoting rules, you need to escape whitespace, bars,
> commas and backslashes. So you would have to use something like this:
> :set rubydll=C:\\Ruby24\\bin\\msvcrt-ruby240.dll
>
> It is usually easier to avoid all those escaping issues by using the
> :let form (:h :let-option):
>
> :let &rubydll='C:\Ruby24\bin\msvcrt-ruby240.dll'
>
> However make sure to use single quotation marks, as otherwise
> backslashes have to be doubled and might mean something different than
> intended (see :h expr-quote)
>
> BTW: Have you tried the answer from Ken (quoting from
> https://github.com/vim/vim-win32-installer/issues/47#issuecomment-366912233)
>
> ,----
> | Could you try adding C:\Ruby24\bin and also
> | C:\Ruby24\bin\ruby_builtin_dlls to the PATH environment? (If you use
> | 64-bit Vim, replace Ruby24 with Ruby24-x64.)
> `----
>

> Best,
> Christian

extDlls.vim (1K) Download Attachment