Create own ALT+H mapping, disabling the help menu

Create own ALT+H mapping, disabling the help menu

Jeri Raye
Hi,

I would like to make a mapping to
ALT+H.
But this brings up the help menu in gvim on windows 7, as the H from
Help is the underlined key (don't know the right terminology)
Can you disable this in gvim, so that I can create my own ALT+H mapping?

Rgds,
Jeri

Re: Create own ALT+H mapping, disabling the help menu

Jan Larres
Hi Jeri,

Jeri Raye <[hidden email]>:
> I would like to make a mapping to
> ALT+H.
> But this brings up the help menu in gvim on windows 7, as the H from
> Help is the underlined key (don't know the right terminology)
> Can you disable this in gvim, so that I can create my own ALT+H mapping?

Yes, have a look at ":h 'winaltkeys'".

Jan

--
-[ OpenPGP key ID: 00A0FD5F ]-
When I look down, I miss all the good stuff. When I look up, I just trip

Re: Create own ALT+H mapping, disabling the help menu

Jeri Raye

Hi
I've put this line in mu vimrc
set winaltkeys=no

But the window still responds on an ALT key.
Why's that?

Rgds,
Jeri

Jan Larres wrote on 30-3-2012 8:19:

> Hi Jeri,
>
> Jeri Raye<[hidden email]>:
>> I would like to make a mapping to
>> ALT+H.
>> But this brings up the help menu in gvim on windows 7, as the H from
>> Help is the underlined key (don't know the right terminology)
>> Can you disable this in gvim, so that I can create my own ALT+H mapping?
>
> Yes, have a look at ":h 'winaltkeys'".
>
> Jan

Re: Create own ALT+H mapping, disabling the help menu

Tim Chase
On 03/30/12 15:03, Jeri Raye wrote:
> I've put this line in mu vimrc
> set winaltkeys=no
>
> But the window still responds on an ALT key.

While I'm not sure WHY it happens, my usual solution is just to
run without the menu ;-)

   :set guioptions-=m

I don't really lose much functionality (menus usually just
replicate functionality available from the Ex prompt), and it
gives me an extra line or two of content-height.

Tim Chase wrote on 30-3-2012 22:38:

> On 03/30/12 15:03, Jeri Raye wrote:
>> I've put this line in mu vimrc
>> set winaltkeys=no
>>
>> But the window still responds on an ALT key.
>

> :set guioptions-=m
>
> I don't really lose much functionality (menus usually just replicate
> functionality available from the Ex prompt), and it gives me an extra
> line or two of content-height.
>
> -tim

Can it be a compiler options when gvim was compiled?

For full screen I use the shell.vim plugin
http://peterodding.com/code/vim/shell/

Rgds,
Jeri